- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Physical Media Dependent Prototype for 10-Gigabit-Capable PON OLT
- Kim, Jongdeog (IT Convergence Technology Research Center, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Jong Jin (Communications Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Seihyoung (Communications Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Kim, Young-Sun (Communications Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2012.06.29
- Accepted : 2012.09.21
- Published : 2013.04.01
In this work, we study the physical layer solutions for 10-gigabit-capable passive optical networks (PONs), particularly for an optical link terminal (OLT) including a 10-Gbit/s electroabsorption modulated laser (EML) and a 2.5-Gbit/s burst mode receiver (BM-Rx) in a novel bidirectional optical subassembly (BOSA). As unique features, a bidirectional mini-flat package and a 9-pin TO package are developed for a 10-gigabit-capable PON OLT BOSA composed of a 1,577-nm EML and a 1,270-nm avalanche photodiode BM-Rx, including a single-chip burst mode integrated circuit that is integrated with a transimpedance and limiting amplifier. In the developed prototype, the 10-Gbit/s transmitter and 2.5-Gbit/s receiver characteristics are evaluated and compared with the physical media dependent (PMD) specifications in ITU-T G.987.2 for XG-PON1. By conducting the 10-Gbit/s downstream and 2.5-Gbit/s upstream transmission experiments, we verify that the developed 10-gigabitcapable PON PMD prototype can operate for extended network coverage of up to a 40-km fiber reach.
- J.R. Stern et al., "TPON - A Passive Optical Network for Telephony," Proc. ECOC, vol. 1, Sept. 1988, pp. 203-206.
- B. Skubic et al., "A Comparison of Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation for EPON, GPON, and Next-Generation TDM PON," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 47, no. 3, Mar. 2009, pp. S40-S49. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2009.4804388
- J. Kani et al., "Next-Generation PON - Part I: Technology Roadmap and General Requirements," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 47, no. 11, Nov. 2009, pp. 43-49. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2009.5307465
- IEEE Std. 802.3av-2009, Oct. 2009. http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/
- ITU-T Recommendation G.987 series, Oct. 2010. http://www. itu.int/rec/T-REC-G/en
- ITU-T Recommendation G.984.6, "Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Networks (GPON): Reach Extension," 2008.
- K. Kim et al., "Low-Cost, Low-Power, High-Capacity 3R OEOType Reach Extender for a Long-Reach TDMA-PON," ETRI J., vol. 34, no. 3, June 2012, pp. 352-360. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.12.0111.0410
- R. Baca and M. Zuhdi, "Technological Challenges to G-PON Operation," Proc. OFC/NFOEC, Feb. 2008.
- J. Kim et al., "2.5 Gbit/s Burst-Mode Receiver with Power-Level Burst-Detection for XG-PON1 Systems," Electron. Lett., vol. 47, no. 19, Sept. 2011, pp. 1086-1087. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2011.1618
- XFP MSA. ftp://ftp.seagate.com/pub/sff/INF-8077.PDF
- SFP+ MSA. ftp://ftp.seagate.com/sff/SFF-8431.PDF
- T.T. Shih et al., "High-Performance and Low-Cost 10-Gb/s Bidirectional Optical Subassembly Modules," J. Lightw. Technol., vol. 25, no. 11, Nov. 2007, pp. 3488-3494. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2007.907786
- J.J. Lee et al., "10-Gbps Electroabsorptive Modulated Laser Bidirectional Optical Subassembly Using Novel Two-Window Flat Package for Passive Optical Network," Opt. Eng., vol. 50, no. 11, Nov. 2011, pp. (120501-1)-(120501-3). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.3662417
- J. Kim et al., "XG-PON1 OLT Transceiver with a Single-Chip Burst-Mode Receiver," Proc. IQEC/CLEO Pacific Rim, Aug. 2011.
- G.P. Agrawal, Fiber-Optic Communication Systems, 3rd ed., New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2002.