- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Easily Adaptable On-Chip Debug Architecture for Multicore Processors
- Xu, Jing-Zhe (Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Hyeongbae (Department of R&D HW3 Team, Chips & Media Inc.) ;
- Jung, Seungpyo (Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Ju Sung (Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Pusan National University)
- 투고 : 2012.07.18
- 심사 : 2012.10.01
- 발행 : 2013.04.01
Nowadays, the multicore processor is watched with interest by people all over the world. As the design technology of system on chip has developed, observing and controlling the processor core's internal state has not been easy. Therefore, multicore processor debugging is very difficult and time-consuming. Thus, we need a reliable and efficient debugger to find the bugs. In this paper, we propose an on-chip debug architecture for multicore processors that is easily adaptable and flexible. It is based on the JTAG standard and supports monitoring mode debugging, which is different from run-stop mode debugging. Compared with the debug architecture that supports the run-stop mode debugging, the proposed architecture is easily applied to a debugger and has the advantage of having a desirable gate count and execution cycle. To verify the on-chip debug architecture, it is applied to the debugger of the prototype multicore processor and is tested by interconnecting it with a software debugger based on GDB and configured for the target processor.
- W. Wolf, A. Jerraya, and G. Martin, "Multiprocessor System-on- Chip (MPSoC) Technology," IEEE Trans. Comput.-Aided Design Integr. Circuits Syst., vol. 27, no. 10, Oct. 2008, pp. 1701-1713. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCAD.2008.923415
- T. Dorta et al., "Overview of FPGA-Based Multiprocessor Systems," Int. Conf. Reconfigurable Comput. FPGAs, 2009, pp. 273-278.
- G. Martin, "Overview of the MPSoC Design Challenge," 43rd ACM/IEEE Design Autom. Conf., 2006, pp. 274-279.
- Y. Zorian, E.J. Marinissen, and S. Dey, "Testing Embedded-Core- Based System Chips," Computer, vol. 32, no. 6, June 1999, pp. 52-60.
- A.B.T. Hopkins and K.D. McDonald-Maier, "Debug Support Strategy for Systems-on-Chips with Multiple Processor Cores," IEEE Trans. Comput., vol. 55, no. 2, Feb. 2006, pp. 174-184. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2006.22
- ARM Ltd. Embedded-ICE Block Specification. Available: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0180a/DDI0 180.pdf
- MIPS Technologies Inc. EJTAG Trace Control Block Specification. Available: http://www.mips.com/securedownload/ index.dot?product _name=/auth/MD00148%2D2B%2DETCB%2DSPC%2D01.04.pdf
- JTAGPPC Controller. Available: http://www.xilinx.com/products/ intellectual-property/jtagppc_cntlr.htm
- L. Lian et al., "Design and Implementation of A Debugging System for OpenRISC Processor," 2nd ASID Conf., Aug. 2008, pp. 368-371.
- ARM Ltd. ETM (Embedded Trace Marcocell) Block Specification. Available: http://www.arm.com
- PDtraceTM Interface Specification, MD00136, May 14, 2003. Available: http://www.mips.com
- ARM Ltd. Monitor Debug-Mode Block Specification. http://www. arm.com
- IEEE Std. 1149.1a-1993, "Test Access Port and Boundary-Scan Architecture," Piscataway, NJ: IEEE, 1993.
- H. Park et al, "On-Chip Debug Architecture for Multicore Processor," ETRI J., vol. 34, no. 1, Feb. 2012, pp. 44-54. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.12.0111.0172
- R. Stallman, R. Pesch, and S. Shebs, "GDB User Manual: Debugging With GDB (The GNU Source-Level Debugger)," Free Software Foundation.
- B. Gatliff, "Embedding with GNU: The GDB Remote Serial Protocol," Red Hat Developer Network (RHDN), 1999.
- M. Tan, A Minimal GDB Stub for Embedded Remote Debugging, 2002. Available: http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/-sedwards/ classes/2002/w4995-02/tan-final.pdf
- S. Shebs, GDB: An Open Source Debugger for Embedded Development, Red Hat, 2000.
- Robert Pizzi, "GNU GDB Internal Architecture," 1993.
- J. Gilmore and S. Shebs, GDB Internals, Cygnus Solutions, 2004. Available: www.gnuarm.com/pdf/gdbint.pdf
- J. Bennett "Howto: Porting the GNU Debugger: Practical Experience with the OpenRISC 1000 Architecture," Nov. 2008. Available: http://www.embecosm.com/download/ean3.html
- Open On-Chip Debugger. Available: http://openocd.berlios. de/web/
- CoreSight On-Chip Trace and Debug Specification. Available: http://www. arm.com
- B. Vermeulen and S. Bakker, ''Debug Architecture for the En-II System Chip,'' IET Comput. Digit. Techn., vol. 1, no. 6, Nov. 2007, pp. 678-684. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cdt:20060217
- N. Stollon et al., "Multi-core Embedded Debug for Structured ASIC Systems," Proc. Design Con, 2004.
- R. Leatherman and N. Stollon, "An Embedded Debugging Architecture for SoCs," IEEE Potentials, vol. 24, no. 1, 2005, pp. 12-16.
- S. Tang and Q. Xu, "A Debug Probe for Concurrently Debugging Multiple Embedded Cores and Inter-core Transactions in NoC Based Systems," Proc. Asia South Pacific Design Autom. Conf., Seoul, Rep. of Korea, 2008, pp. 416-421.
- L. Fiorin, G. Palermo, and C. Silvano., "MPSoCs Run-Time Monitoring through Networks-on-Chip," Proc. Conf. Design, Automation Test Europe, 2009, pp. 558-561.