- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Novel Bumping Process for Solder on Pad Technology
- Choi, Kwang-Seong (IT Materials and Components Lab., ETRI) ;
- Bae, Ho-Eun (IT Materials and Components Lab., ETRI) ;
- Bae, Hyun-Cheol (IT Materials and Components Lab., ETRI) ;
- Eom, Yong-Sung (IT Materials and Components Lab., ETRI)
- Received : 2012.07.11
- Accepted : 2012.11.06
- Published : 2013.04.01
A novel bumping process using solder bump maker is developed for the maskless low-volume solder on pad (SoP) technology of fine-pitch flip chip bonding. The process includes two main steps: one is the aggregation of powdered solder on the metal pads on a substrate via an increase in temperature, and the other is the reflow of the deposited powder to form a low-volume SoP. Since the surface tension that exists when the solder is below its melting point is the major driving force of the solder deposit, only a small quantity of powdered solder adjacent to the pads can join the aggregation process to obtain a uniform, low-volume SoP array on the substrate, regardless of the pad configurations. Through this process, an SoP array on an organic substrate with a pitch of
- S.C. Johnson, "Flip-Chip Packaging Becomes Competitive," Semiconductor Int., May 2009.
- M. Gerber et al, "Next Generation Fine Pitch Cu Pillar Technology - Enabling Next Generation Silicon Nodes," Proc. Electron. Compon. Technol. Conf., 2011, pp. 612-618.
- R. Agarwal et al, "Cu/Sn Microbumps Interconnect for 3D TSV Chip Stacking," Proc. Electron. Compon. Technol. Conf., 2010, pp. 858-863.
- K.-S. Choi et al., "Novel Maskless Bumping for 3D Integration," ETRI J., vol. 32, no. 2, Apr. 2010, pp. 342-344. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.10.0209.0396
- K.-S. Choi et al., "Novel Bumping Material for Solder-on-Pad Technology," ETRI J., vol. 33, no. 4, Aug. 2011, pp. 637-640. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.11.0210.0298
- K.-J. Sung et al, "Novel Bumping and Underfill Technologies for 3D IC Integration," ETRI J., vol. 34, no. 5, Oct. 2012, pp. 706-712. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.12.0112.0104
- Y.-S. Eom et al., "Characterization of Polymer Matrix and Low Melting Point Solder for Anisotropic Conductive Film," Microelectron. Eng., vol. 85, 2008, pp. 327-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mee.2007.07.005
- Y.-S. Eom et al., "Electrical Interconnection with a Smart ACA Composed of Fluxing Polymer and Solder Powder," ETRI J., vol. 32, no. 3, June 2010, pp. 414-421. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.10.0109.0400
- Solder Paste Task Group (5-22b) of IPC, "J-STD-005: Requirements for Soldering Pastes," IPC standardization document, Jan. 1995.