- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Client Rendering Method for Desktop Virtualization Services
- Jang, Su Min (Software Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Choi, Won Hyuk (Software Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Kim, Won Young (Software Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2012.05.16
- Accepted : 2012.10.30
- Published : 2013.04.01
Cloud computing has recently become a significant technology trend in the IT field. Among the related technologies, desktop virtualization has been applied to various commercial applications since it provides many advantages, such as lower maintenance and operation costs and higher utilization. However, the existing solutions offer a very limited performance for 3D graphics applications. Therefore, we propose a novel method in which rendering commands are not executed at the host server but rather are delivered to the client through the network and are executed by the client's graphics device. This method prominently reduces server overhead and makes it possible to provide a stable service at low cost. The results of various experiments prove that the proposed method outperforms all existing solutions.
Grant : Development of a Separated Software Execution Technology for Software Service
- C.W. Yoon et al., "Dynamic Collaborative Cloud Service Platform: Opportunities and Challenges," ETRI J., vol. 32, no. 4, Aug. 2010, pp. 634-637. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.10.0209.0489
- HDX of Citrix XenDesktop. http://hdx.citrix.com/ hdx
- RemoteFX of Microsoft. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817578%28WS.10%29.aspx
- L. Shi, H. Chen, and J. Sun, "vCUDA: GPU Accelerated High Performance Computing in Virtual Machines," IEEE Int. Symp. Parallel Distrib. Process., 2009, pp. 1-11.
- J. Duato et al., Performance of CUDA Virtualized Remote GPUs in High Performance Clusters" IEEE Int. Conf. Parallel Process., 2011, pp. 365-374.
- M. Dowty and J. Sugerman, "GPU Virtualization on VMware's Hosted I/O Architecture," ACM SIGOPS Operating Syst. Rev., vol. 43, no. 3, 2009, pp. 73-82. https://doi.org/10.1145/1618525.1618534