- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Mixed Display Platform to Expand Comfortable Zone of Stereoscopic 3D Viewing
- Yang, Ungyeon (Creative Content Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Kim, Namkyu (College of Visual Image & Information Technology Dong-Eui University) ;
- Seo, Jinseok (College of Visual Image & Information Technology Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Ki-Hong (Creative Content Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Gil-Haeng (Creative Content Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2012.06.05
- Accepted : 2012.12.22
- Published : 2013.04.01
Common stereoscopic three-dimensional (3D) display has a convergence and accommodation conflict that violates the natural human cognitive process of viewing. This weakness exposes the challenge in supporting fun factors while eliminating safety problems in the 3D viewing experience. Thus, human factors have become a major research topic. In this letter, we propose a 3D stereoscopic visualization platform that can expand the sense of a 3D space by fusing organically mixed stereoscopic displays to provide a continuous feeling of 3D depth. In addition, we present pilot test results to show the possibility of the technical implementation of the proposed platform and note ongoing research issues to be addressed.
Grant : Development of Live4D contents platform technology based on expansion of realistic experiential space
- T. Shibata et al., "The Zone of Comfort: Predicting Visual Discomfort with Stereo Displays," J. Vision, vol. 11, no. 8, 2011, pp. 1-29.
- U.Y. Yang et al., Expandable 3D Stereoscopic Display System, Korean Intellectual Property Office, application no. 2012- 0018690, filed Feb. 23, 2012.
- G.A. Lee, U.Y. Yang, and W.H. Son, "Layered Multiple Displays for Immersive and Interactive Digital Contents," ICEC, LNCS, vol. 4161, 2006, pp. 123-134.
- H.M. Kim et al., "Dual Autostereoscopic Display Platform for Multi-user Collaboration with Natural Interaction," ETRI J., vol. 34, no. 3, June 2012, pp. 466-469. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.12.0211.0331
- M. Tuceryan, Y. Genc, and N. Navab, "Single-Point Active Alignment Method (SPAAM) for Optical See-Through HMD Calibration for Augmented Reality," Presence: Teleoperators Virtual Environments, vol. 11, no. 3, June 2002, pp. 259-276. https://doi.org/10.1162/105474602317473213