- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Buckling resistance, bending stiffness, and torsional resistance of various instruments for canal exploration and glide path preparation
- Kwak, Sang-Won (Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Pusan National University) ;
- Ha, Jung-Hong (Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, WooCheol (Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Sung-Kyo (Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Hyeon-Cheol (Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2014.06.04
- Accepted : 2014.06.09
- Published : 2014.11.29
Objectives: This study compared the mechanical properties of various instruments for canal exploration and glide-path preparations. Materials and Methods: The buckling resistance, bending stiffness, ultimate torsional strength, and fracture angle under torsional load were compared for C+ file (CP, Dentsply Maillefer), M access K-file (MA, Dentsply Maillefer), Mani K-file (MN, Mani), and NiTiFlex K-file (NT, Dentsply Maillefer). The files of ISO size #15 and a shaft length of 25 mm were selected. For measuring buckling resistance (n = 10), the files were loaded in the axial direction of the shaft, and the maximum load was measured during the files' deflection. The files (n = 10) were fixed at 3 mm from the tip and then bent
Supported by : Pusan National University Dental Hospital
- Siqueira JF Jr. Aetiology of root canal treatment failure: why well-treated teeth can fail. Int Endod J 2001;34:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2591.2001.00396.x
- Haapasalo M, Endal U, Zandi H, Coil JM. Eradication of endodontic infection by instrumentation and irrigation solutions. Endod Topics 2005;10:77-102. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-1546.2005.00135.x
- Cheung GS, Liu CS. A retrospective study of endodontic treatment outcome between nickel-titanium rotary and stainless steel hand filing techniques. J Endod 2009;35:938-943. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2009.04.016
- Sonntag D, Guntermann A, Kim SK, Stachniss V. Root canal shaping with manual stainless steel files and rotary Ni-Ti files performed by students. Int Endod J 2003;36:246-255. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2591.2003.00661.x
- Ha JH, Park SS. Influence of glide path on the screw-in effect and torque of nickel-titanium rotary files in simulated resin root canals. Restor Dent Endod 2012;37:215-219. https://doi.org/10.5395/rde.2012.37.4.215
- Berutti E, Negro AR, Lendini M, Pasqualini D. Influence of manual preflaring and torque on the failure rate of ProTaper rotary instruments. J Endod 2004;30:228-230. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200404000-00011
- Patino PV, Biedma BM, Liebana CR, Cantatore G, Bahillo JG. The influence of a manual glide path on the separation rate of NiTi rotary instruments. J Endod 2005;31:114-116.
- Siqueira JF Jr, Lopes HP. Chemomechanical preparation. In: Siqueira JF Jr, editor. Treatment of endodontic infections. London: Quintessence Publishing; 2011. p236-284.
- Allen MJ, Glickman GN, Griggs JA. Comparative analysis of endodontic pathfinders. J Endod 2007;33:723-726. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2007.02.001
- Lopes HP, Elias CN, Amaral G, Vieira VT, Moreira EJ, Mangelli M, Siqueira JF Jr. Torsional properties of pathfinding instruments. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2011;112:667-670. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2011.04.032
- Beer FP, Johnston ER, DeWolf JT, Mazurek DF. Mechanics of materials. 6th ed. New York: Mc Graw-Hill; 2012. p631-391.
- Lopes HP, Elias CN, Mangelli M, Lopes WS, Amaral G, Souza LC, Siqueira JF Jr. Buckling resistance of pathfinding endodontic instruments. J Endod 2012;38:402-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2011.10.029
- Jafarzadeh H, Abbott PV. Ledge formation: review of a great challenge in endodontics. J Endod 2007;33:1155-1162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2007.07.015
- Berutti E, Cantatore G, Castellucci A, Chiandussi G, Pera F, Migliaretti G, Pasqualini D. Use of nickel-titanium rotary PathFile to create the glide path: comparison with manual preflaring in simulated root canals. J Endod 2009;35:408-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2008.11.021
- Nakagawa RK, Alves JL, Buono VT, Bahia MG. Flexibility and torsional behaviour of rotary nickel-titanium PathFile, RaCe ISO 10, Scout RaCe and stainless steel K-File hand instruments. Int Endod J 2014:47:290-297. https://doi.org/10.1111/iej.12146
- Kim TO, Cheung GS, Lee JM, Kim BM, Hur B, Kim HC. Stress distribution of three NiTi rotary files under bending and torsional conditions using a mathematic analysis. Int Endod J 2009;42:14-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2008.01481.x
- Cheung GS, Shen Y, Darvell BW. Effect of environment on low-cycle fatigue of a nickel-titanium instrument. J Endod 2007;33:1433-1437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2007.08.007
- Kramkowski TR, Bahcall J. An in vitro comparison of torsional stress and cyclic fatigue resistance of ProFile GT and ProFile GT Series X rotary nickel-titanium files. J Endod 2009;35:404-407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2008.12.003
- Yum J, Cheung GS, Park JK, Hur B, Kim HC. Torsional strength and toughness of nickel-titanium rotary files. J Endod 2011;37:382-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2010.11.028
- Cho OI, Versluis A, Cheung GS, Ha JH, Hur B, Kim HC. Cyclic fatigue resistance tests of Nickel-Titanium rotary files using simulated canal and weight loading conditions. Restor Dent Endod 2013;38:31-35. https://doi.org/10.5395/rde.2013.38.1.31
- ISO-Standards ISO 3630-1 Dental root canal instruments. Part 1: files, reamers, barbed broaches, rasps, paste carriers, explorers and cotton broaches. Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization 1992.
- Council on Dental Materials, Instruments and Equipment. Revised American National Standards Institute/American Dental Association Specification no. 28 for root canal files and reamers, type K. J Am Dent Assoc 1982;104:506. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1982.0204
- Gutmann JL, Lovdahl PE. Problem Solving in Endodontics. Prevention, Identification, and Management. 5th ed. Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier/Mosby; 2011. p195-208.
- West JD. The endodontic glidepath: 'secrets to rotary satety'. Dent Today 2010;29:86,88,90-93.
- Blum JY, Machtou P, Ruddle C, Micallef JP. Analysis of mechanical preparations in extracted teeth using ProTaper rotary instruments: value of the safety quotient. J Endod 2003;29:567-575. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200309000-00007
- Lee MH, Versluis A, Kim BM, Lee CJ, Hur B, Kim HC. Correlation between experimental cyclic fatigue resistance and numerical stress analysis for nickel-titanium rotary files. J Endod 2011;37:1152-1157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2011.03.025