- Volume 54 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of medicinal plant extract for hangover relief
약용식물 추출물의 숙취 해소 효과에 관한 연구
- Hyun, Chang-Su (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeju National University) ;
- Park, Garyoung (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeju National University) ;
- Oh, Young Mi (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeju National University) ;
- Lee, Youngjae (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeju National University) ;
- Han, Chang-Hoon (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeju National University)
- 현창수 (제주대학교 수의과대학 수의학과) ;
- 박가령 (제주대학교 수의과대학 수의학과) ;
- 오영미 (제주대학교 수의과대학 수의학과) ;
- 이영재 (제주대학교 수의과대학 수의학과) ;
- 한창훈 (제주대학교 수의과대학 수의학과)
- Received : 2014.08.08
- Accepted : 2014.11.10
- Published : 2014.12.31
The present study was performed to evaluate the effect of medicinal plant extract on relieving hangovers in mice administered alcohol. The animals were divided into three groups. Each group was treated with fermented plant extract, non-fermented plant extract, or water 30 min after consuming ethanol (2 mL/kg). A locomotor activity test showed that all groups had decreased motor activity until 40 min after plant extract administration. The mice treated with water had lower motor activity until 100 min post-administration. However, the group treated with non-fermented plant extract showed increased motor activity 40 min post-administration, and the higher activity level was maintained until 120 min post-administration. The animals treated with fermented plant extract had a level of motor activity between those of the groups treated with water or non-fermented plant extract. Blood was collected from each mouse 120 min post-administration and aldehyde concentration was measured. The group treated with non-fermented plant extract had a significantly higher (p < 0.05) aldehyde concentration than the other groups. These results demonstrate that the non-fermented medicinal plant extract helped alleviate hangovers 40 min after administration by reducing aldehyde concentrations in the blood.
Supported by : 제주대학교
- Cho SH, Kim JC, Kim SW. Effect of plant extracts on the activity of alcohol dehydrogenase and the antioxidation in alcohol-treated rat hepatocyte. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2001, 30, 679-683.
- Ahn YT, Bae JS, Kim YH, Lim KS, Huh CS. Effects of fermented milk intake on hepatic antioxidative systems in alcohol treated rats. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2005, 37, 631-635.
- Albano E. Free radicals and alcohol-induced liver injury. In: Sherman DIN, Preedy V, Watson RR (eds.). Ethanol and Liver: Mechanisms and Management. pp. 153-190, CRC Press, London, 2003.
- Choo MH, Lee JJ, Lee MY. Effect of Pimpinella brachycarpa ethanol extract on chronically ethanol-induced liver damage in rats. J Life Sci 2007, 17, 1406-1413. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.10.1406
- Das SK, Vasudevan DM. Alcohol-induced oxidative stress. Life Sci 2007, 81, 177-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2007.05.005
- Forsander OA, Raiha NCR. Metabolites produced in the liver during alcohol oxidation. J Biol Chem1960, 235, 34-36.
- Glueck CJ, Hogg E, Allen C, Gartside PS. Effects of alcohol ingestion on lipid and lipoproteins in normal men: isocaloric metabolic studies. Am J Clin Nutr 1980, 33, 2287-2293.
- Heinecke JW. Free radical modification of low-density lipoprotein: mechanisms and biological consequences. Free Radic Biol Med 1987, 3, 65-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(87)90040-2
- Jernigan TL, Ostergaard AL. When alcoholism affects memory functions: MRI of the brain. Alcohol Health Res World 1995, 19, 104-107.
- Ko BS, Jang JS, Hong SM, Kim DW, Sung SR, Park HR, Lee JE, Jeon WK, Park S. Effect of new remedies mainly comprised of Hovenia dulcis Thunb on alcohol degradation and liver protection in Sprague Dawley male rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2006, 35, 828-834. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.7.828
- Mezey E. Alcoholic liver disease: roles of a7lcohol and malnutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 1980, 33, 2709-2718.
- Kim JS. Effect of an alcohol detoxification beverage (ADB) contained Radix puerariae and Bambusae caules in Liquamen Phyllostachyos on the alcohol administered mouse. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2004, 33, 318-323. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.2.318
- Lieber CS. Alcohol and liver: 1994 update. Gastroenterology 1994, 106, 1085-1105. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(94)90772-2
- Lieber CS. Ethanol metabolism, cirrhosis and alcoholism. Clin Chim Acta 1997, 257, 59-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-8981(96)06434-0
- Morel DW, DiCorleto PE, Chisolm GM. Endothelial and smooth muscle cells alter low density lipoproteins in vitro by free radical oxidation. Arteriosclerosis 1984, 4, 357-364. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.4.4.357
- Noh KH, Jang JH, Kim JJ, Shin JH, Kim DK, Song YS. Effect of dandelion juice supplementation on alcohol-induced oxidative stress and hangover in healthy male college students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2009, 38, 683-693. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.6.683
- Park EM, Ye EJ, Kim SJ, Choi HI, Bae MJ. Eliminatory effect of health drink containing Hovenia dulcis Thunb extract on ethanol-induced hangover in rats. Korean J Food Culture 2006, 21, 71-75.
- Pemberton PW, Smith A, Warnes TW. Non-invasive monitoring of oxidant stress in alcoholic liver disease. Scand J Gastroenterol 2005, 40, 1102-1108. https://doi.org/10.1080/00365520510023495
- Shin JH, Lee SJ, Choi DJ, Kang MJ, Sung NJ. Antioxidant and alcohol dehydrogenase activity of water extracts from abalone containing medicinal plants. Korean J Food Cook Sci 2008, 24,182-187.
- Song I, Choi IS, Yoon HK, Koo SJ. The effect of Camellia sinensis LINNE on alcohol concentration and hangover in normal healthy students. Korean J Food Cook Sci 2005, 21, 591-598.
- 주의린, 이위, 황극남. 동의보감 산야초 백과사전. pp. 62-88, 행복을만드는세상, 서울, 2014.
- Effect of Black Red Ginseng Mixture on Alcohol Metabolism in Rats vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.5.655