- Volume 54 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Cricopharyngeal achalasia in an old dog
- Im, Ji-Eun (Department of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Yoon, Hun-Young (Department of Veterinary Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Seung-Gon (Department of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Min (Department of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Eom, Ki-Dong (Department of Veterinary Radiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, Hee-Myung (Department of Veterinary Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2014.08.11
- Accepted : 2014.09.12
- Published : 2014.12.31
A 10-year-old castrated male papillon presented with nasal discharge, coughing and chronic dysphagia. On physical examination, the dog exhibited sneezing, gurgling and movement of the throat with repeated attempts to swallow fluids. A diagnosis of cricopharyngeal achalasia (CPA) was made based on video fluoroscopic demonstration of failure of relaxation of the upper esophageal sphincter. This report describes the diagnosis of CPA in an old dog, which is rarely diagnosed in older animals.
- Niles JD, Williams JM, Sullivan M, Crowsley FE. Resolution of dysphagia following cricopharyngeal myectomy in six young dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2001, 42, 32-35. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2001.tb01982.x
- Elliott RC. An anatomical and clinical review of cricopharyngeal achalasia in the dog. J S Afr Vet Ass 2010, 81, 75-79.
- Ladlow J, Hardie RJ. Cricopharyngeal achalasia in dogs. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 2000, 22, 750-755.
- Malm C. Souza EM, Ferian PE, Fukushima FB, Macedo SP, Ladeira OHR, Faria ABF, Andrade MGMG. Canine cricopharyngeal achalasia: case report. Arq Bras Med Vet Zootec 2011, 63, 56-60. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-09352011000100009
- Pearson H. The differential diagnosis of persistent vomiting in the young dog. J Small Anim Pract 1970, 11, 403-415. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1970.tb05438.x
- Pfeifer RM. Cricopharyngeal achalasia in a dog. Can Vet J 2003, 44, 993-995.
- Pollard RE, Marks SL, Davidson A, Hornof WJ. Quantitative videofluoroscopic evaluation of the pharyngeal function in the dog. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2000, 41, 409-412. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.2000.tb01862.x
- Sokolovsky V. Cricopharyngeal achalasia in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1967, 150, 281-285.
- Suter PF, Watrous BJ. Oropharyngeal dysphagias in the dog: a cinefluorographic analysis of experimentally induced and spontaneously occurring swallowing disorders. I. Oral stage and pharyngeal stage dysphagias. Vet Radiol 1980, 21, 24-39. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.1980.tb01346.x
- Warnock JJ, Marks SL, Pollard R, Kyles AE, Davidson A. Surgical management of cricopharyngeal dysphagia in dogs: 14 cases (1989-2001). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003, 223, 1462-1468. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.2003.223.1462
- Watrous BJ. Clinical presentation and diagnosis of dysphagia. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1983, 13, 437-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0195-5616(83)50052-1
- Watrous BJ, Suter PF. Oropharyngeal dysphagias in the dog: a cinefluorographic analysis of experimentally induced and spontaneously occurring swallowing disorders. II. Cricopharyngeal stage and mixed oropharyngeal dysphagias. Vet Radiol 1983, 24, 11-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.1983.tb01709.x
- Weaver AD. Cricopharyngeal achalasia in Cocker Spaniels. J Small Anim Pract 1983, 24, 209-214. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1983.tb00433.x