- Volume 17 Issue 4
Sternoclavicular joint posterior dislocations are considered a very uncommon, and type of injury where if esophagus or airway injury occurs behind the clavicle, it poses a high risk to the patient. In addition, if epiphyseal fracture occurs as a result of the sternoclavicular joint posterior dislocation, surgical treatment is often required. However, in the absence of a complete ossification of the clavicle, it is difficult to differentiate between a simple dislocation and epiphyseal fracture-dislocation solely based on simple radiographs or computed tomography scans. In this case report, the authors present a case in which a sternoclavicular joint posterior dislocation was diagnosed in a 14-year-old male athlete. The case report discusses how the posterior dislocation without epiphyseal fracture was diagnosed using an ultrasound and subsequently treated with successful outcomes using manual reduction. The case report presents our findings along with discussion that includes a literature review of relevant research.
- Marker LB, Klareskov B. Posterior sternoclavicular dislocation: an American football injury. Br J Sports Med. 1996;30(1):71-2. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.30.1.71
- Rockwood CA, Wilkins KE, Beaty JH, Kasser JR. Rockwood and Wilkins' fractures in children. 5th ed. Philadelphia (PA); London: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2001. 1254.
- Kuzak N, Ishkanian A, Abu-Laban RB. Posterior sternoclavicular joint dislocation: case report and discussion. CJEM. 2006;8(5):355-7. https://doi.org/10.1017/S148180350001407X
- Echlin PS, Michaelson JE. Adolescent butterfly swimmer with bilateral subluxing sternoclavicular joints. Br J Sports Med. 2006;40(4):e12. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2005.020115
- Deganello A, Meacock L, Tavakkolizadeh A, Sinha J, Elias DA. The value of ultrasound in assessing displacement of a medial clavicular physeal separation in an adolescent. Skeletal Radiol. 2012;41(7):857-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00256-011-1357-2
- Gobet R, Meuli M, Altermatt S, Jenni V, Willi UV. Medial clavicular epiphysiolysis in children: the so-called sterno-clavicular dislocation. Emerg Radiol. 2004;10(5):252-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10140-003-0285-4
- Yang J, al-Etani H, Letts M. Diagnosis and treatment of posterior sternoclavicular joint dislocations in children. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 1996;25(8):565-9.
- Siddiqui AA, Turner SM. Posterior sternoclavicular joint dislocation: the value of intra-operative ultrasound. Injury. 2003;34(6):448-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(02)00350-9
- Laffosse JM, Espie A, Bonnevialle N, et al. Posterior dislocation of the sternoclavicular joint and epiphyseal disruption of the medial clavicle with posterior displacement in sports participants. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010;92(1):103-9.
- 1. Diagnosis of a Posterior Fracture Dislocation of the Medial Clavicle in an Adolescent With Point-of-Care Ultrasound vol.33, pp.7, 2017, doi:10.5397/cise.2014.17.4.205