- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Simple Technique for Measurement of Complex Permittivity and Detection of Small Permittivity Change Using Partially Open Cavity
Park, Sangbok;Chung, Young-Seek;Cheon, Changyul
- Received : 2013.02.12
- Accepted : 2013.08.09
- Published : 2014.01.01
This letter presents a measurement methodology of the complex permittivity of liquid using a partially open cavity in narrow band. The partially open cavity (POC) can measure dielectric small changes caused by the temperature variation of the liquid inside the cavity as well. Using the resonance frequency and unloaded quality factor of the proposed POC, the complex permittivity is evaluated. The apertures on the walls of the cavity are designed to circulate the liquid inside to outside of the POC and located at the corner area of the cavity to minimize the disturbance of field distribution at the dominant mode. The results measured by the proposed POC were compared with those by the conventional open-ended probe and Cole-Cole equation. The POC showed better performance in measuring small dielectric constant changes than the open-ended probe.
Cavity resonator;Permittivity;Dielectric material;Dielectric liquid
- A. Nyshadham, C.L. Sibbald, and S.S. Stuchly, "Permittivity measurements using open-ended sensors and reference liquid calibration - An uncertainty analysis," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 305-314, Feb. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.120103
- Sangbok. Park, Young-seek Chung, Youngwoo Kwon, "A novel two-port probe for complex permittivity and permeability measurement of liquid and powder type materials," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 2977-2979, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.24793
- Nawaf N. Al-Moayed, Mohammed N. Afsar, Usman A. Khan, Sean McCooey, and Mahmut Obol, "Nano Ferrites Microwave Complex Permeablility and Permittivity Measurements by T/R Technique in Waveguide," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 1768-1772, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2008.920846
- M. Jaleel Akhtar, Lambert E. Feher, and Manfred Thumm, "Noninvasive procedure for measuring the complex permittivity of resins, catalysts, and other liquids using a partially filled rectangular waveguide structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 458-470, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2008.2011177
- Atsuhiro Nishikata, "A swept-frequency measurement of complex permittivity and complex permeability of a columnar specimen inserted in a rectangular waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 1554-1567, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2007.900340
- Namgon Kim, Jeonghoon Yoon, Sungjoon Cho, Jeiwon Cho, Changul Cheon, and Youngwoo Kwon, "An optimum design methodology for planar-type coaxial probes applicable to broad temperature permittivity measurements," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 684-692, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2008.916986
- Lye Heng Chua, and Dariush Mirshekar-Syahkal, "Accurate and direct characterization of high-Q microwave resonators using one-port measurement," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 978-985, March 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2003.808711
- Maja Koncan Gradnik, "Physical-chemical oil tests, monitoring and diagnostics of oil-filled transformers," 2002 International Conference on Dielectric Liquids, pp. 242-247, July 2002.
- Sangbok Park, Young-seek Chung; Changyul Cheon, "A new method for measuring degradation level of insulating oil with temperature in microwave," IEEE 2010 Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, pp. 1-4, July 2010.
- D.M. Pozar, Microwave engineering, 3rd ed., New York: J. Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- En-Yuan Sun and Shuh-Han Chao, "Unloaded Q measurement - the critical-points method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1983-1986, August 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.402290
- Monostatic radiometry system for temperature measurement during RF hyperthermia treatment vol.59, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.30725
- Method for Measurement of Complex Relative Permittivity of Semi-Solid Materials Using Novel Cavity Resonator Design vol.25, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2014.25.8.872
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)