- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Protein Levels for Gestating Gilts on Reproductive Performance, Blood Metabolites and Milk Composition
- Jang, Y.D. (Animal and Food Sciences, University of Kentucky) ;
- Jang, S.K. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, D.H. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Oh, H.K. (Department of Food and Nutrition, Jangan University) ;
- Kim, Y.Y. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2013.06.28
- Accepted : 2013.09.12
- Published : 2014.01.01
This experiment was conducted to evaluate the effects of dietary CP levels in gestation under equal lysine content on reproductive performance, blood metabolites and milk composition of gilts. A total of 25 gilts (
Gilt;Protein;Reproductive Performance;Milk Composition;Litter Growth
Supported by : Rural Development Administration (RDA)
- AOAC. 2005. Official methods of analysis, 18th edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, US.
- Armstrong, J. D., J. H. Britt, and R. R. Kraeling. 1986. Effect of restriction of energy during lactation on body condition, energy metabolism, endocrine changes and reproductive performance in primiparous sows. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1915-1925.
- Baker, D. H., D. E. Becker, A. H. Jensen, and B. G. Harman. 1970. Reproductive performance and progeny development in swine as influenced by protein restriction during various portions of gestation. J. Anim. Sci. 31:526-530.
- Belstra, B. A., B. T. Richert, and J. W. Frank. 1998. Effect of gestation dietary crude protein level on the gestation and lactation performance of primiparous sows. Purdue University 1998 Swine Day Reports. pp. 60-64.
- Boyd, R. D., K. J. Touchette, G. C. Castro, M. E. Johnston, K. U. Lee, and In K. Han. 2000. Recent advances in amino acid and energy nutrition of prolific sows. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13: 1638-1652. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1638
- Chilliard, Y. 1993. Dietary fat and adipose tissue metabolism in ruminants, pigs, and rodents: A review. J. Dairy Sci. 76:3897-3931. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77730-9
- Clowes, E. J., F. X. Aherne, G. R. Foxcroft, and V. E. Barocos. 2003. Selective protein loss in lactating sows is associated with reduced litter growth and ovarian function. J. Anim. Sci. 81: 753-764.
- Eggum, B. O. 1970. Blood urea measurement as a technique for assessing protein quality. Br. J. Nutr. 24:983-988. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19700101
- Elliott, R. F., G. W. Vander Noot, R. L. Gilbreath, and H. Fisher. 1971. Effect of dietary protein level on composition changes in sow colostrum and milk. J. Anim. Sci. 32: 1128-1137.
- Greenhalgh, J. F. D., F. W. H. Elsley, D. A. Grubb, A. L. Lightfoot, D. W. Saul, P. Smith, N. Walker, D. Williams, and M. L. Yeo. 1977. Coordinated trials on the protein requirements of sows. 1. A comparison of four levels of dietary protein in gestation and two in lactation. Anim. Prod. 24:307-321. https://doi.org/10.1017/S000335610001182X
- Heo, S., Y. X. Yang, Z. Jin, M. S. Park, B. K. Yang, and B. J. Chae. 2008. Effects of dietary energy and lysine intake during late gestation and lactation on blood metabolites, hormones, milk composition and reproductive performance in primiparous sows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 88:247-255. https://doi.org/10.4141/CJAS07060
- Jones, R. D. and C. V. Maxwell. 1982. Growth, reproductive performance and nitrogen balance of gilts as affected by protein intake and stage of gestation. J. Anim. Sci. 55:848-856.
- Kim, S. W., W. L. Hurley, G. Wu, and F. Ji. 2009. Ideal amino acid balance for sows during gestation and lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 87:E123-E132. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1452
- Kusina, J., J. E. Pettigrew, A. F. Sower, M. R. Hathaway, M. E. White, and B. A. Crooker. 1999a. Effect of protein intake during gestation on mammary development of primiparous sows. J. Anim. Sci. 77:925-930.
- Kusina, J., J. E. Pettigrew, A. F. Sower, M. E. White, B. A. Crooker, and M. R. Hathaway. 1999b. Effect of protein intake during gestation and lactation on the lactational performance of primiparous sows. J. Anim. Sci. 77:931-941.
- Mahan, D. C. and L. T. Mangan. 1975. Evaluation of various protein sequences on the nutritional carry-over from gestation to lactation with first-litter sows. J. Nutr. 105:1291-1298.
- Mahan, D. C. 1998. Relationship of gestation protein and feed intake level over a five-parity period using a high-producing sow genotype. J. Anim. Sci. 76:533-541.
- National Research Council. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine, 10th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Pettigrew, J. E. and H. Yang. 1997. Protein nutrition of gestating sows. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2723-2730.
- SAS Institute Inc. 2004. SAS/STAT user's guide, SAS Institute Inc., Cary. NC.
- Shields, R. G., Jr., D. C. Mahan, and P. F. Maxson. 1985. Effect of dietary gestation and lactation protein levels on reproductive performance and body composition of first-litter female swine. J. Anim. Sci. 60:179-189.
- Sun, Z., Q. Ma, Z. Li, and C. Ji. 2009. Effect of partial substitution of dietary spray-dried porcine plasma or fishmeal with soybean and shrimp protein hydrolysate on growth performance, nutrient digestibility and serum biochemical parameters of weaning piglets. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:1032-1037. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.70107
- Tydlitat, D., A. Vinkler, and L. Czanderlova. 2008. Influence of crude protein intake on the duration of delivery and litter size in sows. Acta Vet. Brno. 77:25-30. https://doi.org/10.2754/avb200877010025
- Valros, A., M. Rundgren, M. Spinka, H. Salonie i, L. Rydh er, F. Hult n, K. Uvnas-Moberg, M. Tomanek, P. Krejci, and B. Algers. 2003. Metabolic state of the sow, nursing behaviour and milk production. Livest. Prod. Sci. 79:155-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00154-9
- Wu, G. and S. M. Morris Jr. 1998. Arginine metabolism: Nitric oxide and beyond. Biochem. J. 336:1-17.
- Zhang, R. F., Q. Hu, P. F. Li, L. F. Xue, X. S. Piao, and D. F. Li. 2011. Effects of lysine intake during middle to late gestation (day 30 to 110) on reproductive performance, colostrum composition, blood metabolites and hormones of multiparous sows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 24:1142-1147. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10449
- Effects of Dietary Energy Levels on the Physiological Parameters and Reproductive Performance of Gestating Gilts vol.29, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0269
- Effects of dietary energy levels on physiological parameters and reproductive performance of gestating sows over three consecutive parities vol.31, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0016
- Role of Maternal Dietary Protein and Amino Acids on Fetal Programming, Early Neonatal Development, and Lactation in Swine vol.9, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/ani9010019