- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on Strength Prediction of Mechanical Joint of Composite under Bending Load
굽힘 하중을 받는 복합재 기계적 체결부의 강도예측에 관한 연구
- Baek, Seol (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Kang, Kyung-Tak (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jina (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Chun, Heoung-Jae (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.)
- Received : 2014.12.12
- Accepted : 2014.12.26
- Published : 2014.12.31
This paper predicted the strength of mechanical joint of composites under bending load by means of the characteristic curve method. The method has been employed only for tensile and compression load conditions, but in this study, this method was extended to the bending load condition. For the finite element analysis (FEA), the nonlinear analysis was conducted considering the contact and friction effects between composite material and pin. The failure strength and mode on characteristic curve were evaluate with Tsai-Wu failure theory. To validate the results of FEA, the experiments were conducted to find out the failure load by applying bending moment on the composite specimens. The results showed reasonable agreements with theoretical results. These results lead to a conclusion that the characteristic curve method can be applied to predict the bending strength of mechanical joint of composites.
- Jones, R.M., "Mechanics of Composite Materials", Mcgraw Hill, NY, 1975.
- Gweon, J.H., Choi, J.H., and Chun, Y.J., "A Study on the Strength of Mechanically Fastened Composite Joint," Journal of the Korean Society for Composite Material, Vol. 15, 2002, pp. 9-16
- Kim, T.H., Sung, M.S., Gweon, J.H., and Choi, J.H., "A Parametric Study on the Strength of Single-Lap Bonded Joints of Carbon Composite and Aluminum", Journal of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 20, 2007, pp. 34-42.
- Whitney, J.M., and Nuismer, R.J., "Stress Fracture Criteria for Laminated Composites Containing Stress Concentration", Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 10, 1974, pp. 253-265.
- Chang, F.K., and Scott, R.A., "Strength of Mechanically Fastened Composite Joints", Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 16, 1982, pp. 470-494. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199838201600603
- Park, N.H., Gweon, J.H., Choi, J.H., Kim, K.S., and Lee, S.K., "A study on the Mechanical Joint Analysis of Composite Laminate Using Characteristic Length", Journal of The Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, 2001, pp. 295-299.
- Chun, Y.J., Choi, J.H., and Kweon, J.H., "A Study on the Strength of Mechanically Fastened Composite Joint Using the Failure Area Index Method", Journal of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 16, 2003, pp. 1-8.
- Hart-smith, L.J., "Mechanically Fastened Joints for Advanced Composites - Phenomenological Considerations and Simple Analysis," Fibrous Composite in Structural Design. Plenuum Press, 1980, pp. 543-574.
- Whitney, J.M., and Nuismer, R.J., "Uniaxial Failure of Composite Laminated Containing Stress Concentrations", Fracture Mechanics of Composites, 1975, pp.117-148.
- Hollman, K., "Failure Analysis of Bolted Composite Joints Exhibiting In-plane Failure Modes", Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 30, 1996, pp. 358-383. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199839603000304
- Pierron, F., and Cerisier, F., "A Numerical and Experimental Study of Composite Materials", Vol. 34, 2000, pp. 1028-1054. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199830003401204
- Chang, F.K., "The Effect of Pin Load Distribution on the Strength of Pon Loaded Holes in Laminated Composites", Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 20, 1986, pp. 401-408. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199838602000407