- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Sowing Mixed Legume Forage and Applying Cattle Manure on the Productivity, Feed Values and Organic Hanwoo Feeding Capacity of Whole Crop Barley
청보리 재배 시 콩과 사료작물의 혼파와 우분의 시용이 생산성, 사료가치 및 유기한우 사육능력에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.12.18
- Accepted : 2014.12.31
- Published : 2014.12.31
This study was to assess the effect of sowing mixed legume forage and applying cattle manure on the productivity and feed value of whole-crop barley (WCB) as a representative of winter crops and to estimate feeding capacity of Korean native cattle (Hanwoo) per unit area by defining optimal application level of cattle manure for more fertile soil and manure recycling for the purpose of reduced environmental pollution and efficient production of organic forage contributable to production of organic animal products. Sowing mixed legume forage significantly (p<0.05) increased yields of dry matter (DM), crude protein (CP) and total digestible nutrients (TDN) for WCB compared to WCB alone sowing, but there was no difference between mixed sowing treatments. The yields of DM, CP and TDN were significantly (p<0.05) highest in 100~150 kg N/hg. The CP and acid detergent fiber (ADF) contents were highest in mixed sowing with hairy vetch, followed by sowing mixed forage pea and WCB alone (p<0.05). There were no differences in CP and neutral detergent fiber (NDF) contents among cattle manure application levels. As nitrogen application level increased, ADF content increased (p<0.05), but TDN content decreased (p<0.05). Feeding capacity of organic Hanwoo (head/ha) weighing 450 kg of body weight with 400 g of daily gain significantly (p<0.05) increased due to mixed sowing with legume forage, and with increasing application levels of fermented cattle manure, feeding capacity significantly (p<0.05) increased. The results indicate that mixed-sowing of WCB and legume forage not only cut nitrogen application level of fermented cattle manure by over 50 kg per ha but also increased their feed value and productivity, and feeding capacity. This would be contributable to diversity of forage resources as well as production of organic animal product by creating low cost and high quality of forage.
Legume mixture;Cattle manure;Barley;Productivity;Feeding capacity
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis (16th Ed.). Association of official analytical chemists. Washington D.C.
- Drew, Elizabeth A. Vadakattu VSR. Gupta and David K. Roget. 2005. Are legumes doing their job? The effect of herbicides on N2 fixation in Southern Australian agricultural system. Biological nitrogen fixation, sustainable agriculture and Environment. Proceedings of the 14th international nitrogen fixation congress. pp. 162-164.
- Jo, I.H. 2003. A Study on area types of recycling agriculture. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture. 11(3):91-108.
- Goering, H.K. and Van Soest, P.J. 1970. Forage fiber analysis. Agic. Handbook No. 379. ARS. USDA. Washington, D. C.
- Hwangbo, S. and Jo, I.H. 2013. Effects of applying cattle slurry and Mixed sowing with legumes on productivity, feed values and organic stock carrying capacity of winter forage crops in Gyeongbuk regions. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture. 21(3):451-465. https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2013.21.3.451
- Hwangbo, S. and Jo, I.H. 2014. Effects of mixed sowing with legumes and applying cattle manure on productivity, feed Values and stock carrying capacity of whole crop wheat in Gyeongbuk regions. Journal of The Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 34(1):52-59. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2014.34.1.52
- Jo, I.H. 2012. Evaluation of carrying capacity of Hanwoo heifers when fed whole crop barley and rye as influenced by organic fertilizer application and mixed sowing with legumes. Journal of The Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 32(2): 117-124. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.2.117
- Jo, I.H. 2013. Estimation of Productivity and Organic Hanwoo Carring Capacity per Unit Area of Whole Crop Wheat and Triticale by Application of Organic Fertilizer and Legumes-Mixed Sowing. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture. 21(2):207-217. https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2013.21.2.207
- Jo, I.H., Hwangbo, S. and Lee, S.H. 2010. Effects of applying cattle slurry and mixed sowing with legumes on productivity, feed values and organic stock carrying capacity of whole crop barley and rye. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture. 18(3):419-432.
- Kim, J.D., Kim, S.G. and Kwon, C.H. 2004. Comparison of forage yield and quality of forage legume. Journal of Animal Science and Technology. 46(3):437-442. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.3.437
- Lee, B.O., Yang, J.H., Jung, S.H., Kwon, B.Y., Seo, D.W., Lee, J.S. and Lee, H.C. 2013. The design of optimal management model of selectional self-supply forage for competitiveness of Korean beef cattle. RDA.
- Lee, I.D. and Lee, H.S. 2006. A Comparative study on the dry matter yield and nutritive value from rye and hairy vetch seeding typers in Daejeon area. Journal of The Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 26(4):207-214. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2006.26.4.207
- Lee, H.W., Kim, W.H., Park, H.S., Ko, H.J. and Kim, S.G. 2005. Effect of N application rate on fixation and transfer from vetch to barley in mixed stands. Journal of The Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 25(1):1-6. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2005.25.1.001
- Lee, H.W. and Park, H.S. 2002. Nitrogen fixation of legumes and cropping system for organic forage production. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture. 10(1):49-63.
- Linn, J. And Martin, N. 1989. Forage quality tests and interpretation. Univ. of Minnesota Ext. Serv. AG-FO-2637.
- Nahm, K.H. 1992. Practical guide to feed, forage and water analysis. Yoohan Pub. 1-70.
- Noh, J.H., Lee, H.C., Kim, Y.J., Park, S.S. and Lee, J.S. 2013. The effect of cattle manure application on dry matter yield, feed value and stock carrying capacity of forage crops in Gang-Wondo area. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture. 21(2): 247-263. https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2013.21.2.247
- Oh, M.G., Jo, I.K. and Hwangbo, S. 2014. Effect of mixed sowing of legume and applying of cattle manure on the productivity, feed values and organic Hanwoo carrying capacity of rye (Secale cereale L.). Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture. 22(3):457-468. https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2014.22.3.457
- Osman, A.E. and Osman, A.M. 1982. Performance of mixture of cereal and legume forage under irrigation in the Sudan. The Journal of Agricultural Science. 98:71-72. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600041113
- RDA National Institue of Animal Science. 2012. Korean feeding standard for Hanwoo.
- Ramesh, P., Ghosh, P.K., Reddy, K.S. Ajay, S. Ramana and Choudhary, R.S. 2005. Assessment of biomass, productivity and sustainability of soybean based cropping systems at three levels of nitrogen in deep vertisols of semi-arid tropical India. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 26(2):43-59.
- Ryu, D.K., Yun, S.I., Lee, J.S., Jo, I.H. and Ahn, J.H. 2006. Standard model development of nature-circulating organic agriculture. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
- SAS. 2013. Statistical Analysis System ver. 8.01. SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC.
- Schechtner, G. 1978. Zur Wirksamkeit des Gullestickstoffs auf dem Grunlandin Abhangigkeit vom Dungungsregime. Die Bodenkultur, 29, 351-371.
- Sharma, R.P., Pathak, S.K., Haque, M. and Raman, K.R. 2004. Diversification of traditional rice (Oryza sativa)-based cropping system for sustainable productions in South Biher alluvial plains. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 49(4):218-222.
Supported by : 대구대학교