- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Heterofermentative Lactic Acid Bacteria on the Quality of Italian Ryegrass and Whole-crop Barley Silage
Hetero 발효 유산균주 첨가가 사일리지용 이탈리안 라이그라스와 총체보리의 품질에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Ho Il (Department of Animal Science, Sunchon National University) ;
- Choi, Yeon Jae (Department of Animal Science, Sunchon National University) ;
- Mamuad, Lovelia (Department of Animal Science, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kim, Eun Joong (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Oh, Young Kyoon (National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Park, Keun Kyu (KunKook University) ;
- Lee, Sang Suk (Department of Animal Science, Sunchon National University)
- 이호일 (순천대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 최연재 (순천대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 로벨리아 마무아드 (순천대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 김은중 (경북대학교) ;
- 오영균 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 박근규 (건국대학교) ;
- 이상석 (순천대학교 동물자원과학과)
- Received : 2014.10.21
- Accepted : 2014.12.09
- Published : 2014.12.31
This study was conducted to determine the quality of italian ryegrass (IRG) and whole- crop barley (WCB) silage combined with heterofermentative lactic acid bacteria (LAB) during fermentation. Six strains of LAB (L. plantarum IMAU 70164, L. acidophilus KACC 12419, L. casei KACC 12413, L. reuteri KCTC 3594, L. buchneri KACC 12416 and L. diolivorans KACC 12385) were used in this study. L. casei and L. reuteri had the highest propionic acid production and were therefore used for fermenting the forages. The forages were fermented using monoculture and co-culture of L. casei and L. reuteri for 30, 45 and 60 days of ensiling. Addition of LAB lowered the pH of the IRG silage (p<0.05). Moisture content, lactic acid and acetic acid contents were higher (p<0.05) after addition of LAB. Water soluble carbohydrate was significantly lower (p<0.05) in WCB with a co-culture containing L. casei and L. reuteri. Propionic acid production was comparatively higher after addition of LAB to WCB on days 30, 45 and 60 while butyric acid was only detected in the IRG control on day 60. Fungi was not detected within 60 days after addition of LAB in IRG and WCB. Through this experiment, improved forage preservation was achieved using a co-culture containing L. casei and L. reuteri. WCB silage had higher propionic acid concentration and thus, it was a better forage for ensiling using co-culture of L. casei and L. reuteri.
Grant : 주류가공 부산물 특성규명 및 사료가치 증진을 통한 한우섬유질 배합사료 제조기술개발
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Buchanan-Smith, J.G. 1990. An investigation into palatability as a factor responsible for reduced intake of silage by sheep. Animal Science. 50:253-260.
- Cai, Y. 2005. Quality improving technique of whole crop silage. NIAS International Symposium Proceedings. 103-136.
- Chaney, A.L. and Marbach, E.P. 1962. Modified reagents for determination of urea and ammonia. Clinical Chemistry. 8:130-132.
- Choi, K.C., Jo, N.C., Jung, M.W., Lee, K.D., Kim, J.G., Lim, Y.C., Kim, W.H., Oh, Y.K., Choi, J.H., Kim, C.M., Jung, D.K., Choi, J.M. and Kim, H.G. 2011a. Effect of harvest stage of corn on nutritive values and quality of roll baled corn silage manufactured with corn grown in paddy land. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 31:65-74. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2011.31.1.65
- Choi, K.C., Jung, M.W., Kim, W.H., Kim, C.M., Yoon, S.H., Choi, E.M., K., J.G., Lee, S.M., Choi, J.M., Kim, H.G. and Lim. Y.C. 2011b. Effect of harvest stage of sorghum x sorghum hybrid (SSH) on the quality of round baled SSH silage. Journal of the Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 31:143-150. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2011.31.2.143
- Choi, K.C., Valan Arasu, M., llavenil, S., Park, H.S., Jung, M.W., Kim, J.H., Jung, J.S., Hwangbo, S., Kim, W.H. and Lim, Y.C. 2014. Effect of addition of lactic acid chlorella on nutritive values and quality of italian ryegrass-hairy vetch silage. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 34: 39-44. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2014.34.1.39
- Contreras-Govea, F.E., Muck, R.E., Mertens, D.R. and Weimer, P.J. 2011. Microbial inoculant effects on silage and in vitro ruminal fermentation, and microbial biomass estimation for alfalfa, bmrcorn, and corn silages. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 163:2-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.09.015
- Duncan, D.B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F tests Biometrics. 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Edson, M.S., Carlos, H.O.M., Thiago, C.D.S. and Fleming S.C. 2013. Lactic acid bacteria in tropical grass silages. Lactic Acid Bacteria R&D for Food, Health and Livestock Purposes. 14: 335-362.
- Filya, I., Muck, R.E., Contreras-Govea, F.E., 2007. Inoculant effects on alfalfa silage: fermentation products and nutritive value. Journal of Dairy Science. 90:5108-5114. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-877
- Gordon, F. 1989. An evaluation through lactating cattle of a bacterial inoculant as an additive for grass silage. Grass and Forage Science. 44:169-179. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1989.tb01924.x
- Haigh, P.M. 1996. The effect of dry matter content and silage additives on the fermentation of bunker-made grass silage on commercial farms in England 1984-91. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research. 64:249-259. https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.1996.0066
- Hara, S., Itoh, M. and Ohyama, Y. 1979. Aerobic deterioration of silages changes in temperature, gas metabolism, heat production and microflora. Japanese Journal of Zoo Technology Science. 50:549-556.
- Henderson, N. 1993. Silage additives. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 45:35-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(93)90070-Z
- Keady, T.W.J. and Murphy, J.J. 1996. Effects of inoculant treatment on ryegrass silage fermentation, digestibility, rumen fermentation, intake and performance of lactating dairy cattle. Grass and Forage Science. 51:232-241. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1996.tb02058.x
- Kennedy, S.J., Gracey, H.I., Unsworth, E.F., Steen R.W.J. and Anderson, R. 1989. Evaluation studies in the development of a commercial bacterial inoculant as an additive for grass silage. 2. Responses in finishing cattle. Grass and Forage Science. 44:371-380. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1989.tb01935.x
- Kim, H.S. 1991. Studies on the viability of lactobacillus acidophilus IFO 3205 by microencapsulation. Ph.D. thesis. Seoul. Korea.
- Kim, J.K., Ham, J.S., Chung, E.S., Yoon, S.H., Kim, M.J., Park, H. S., Lim, Y.C. and Seo, S. 2008. Evaluation of Fermentation Ability of Microbes for Whole Crop Rice Silage Inoculant. Journal of the Korean Society of Grass and Forage Science. 28:229-236. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2008.28.3.229
- Muck, R. and Kung, L.J. 1997. Effects of silage additives on ensiling. In: Field to Feedbunk North American Conference Hershey. PA. NRAES 99.
- Nsereko, V.L., Smiley, B.K., Rutherford, W.M., Spielbauer, A., Forrester, K.J., Hettinger, G.H., Harman, E.K. and Harman, B.R. 2008. Influence of inoculating forage with lactic acid bacterial strains that produce ferulate esterase on ensilage and ruminal degradation of fiber. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 145:122-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.06.039
- Ogawa, M. 2003. Research of whole crop rice silage utilization in Japan. Animal Technology Research Laboratory. International Seminar Proceedings. 25-58.
- Patterson, D.C., Mayne, C.S., Gordon, F.J. and Kilpatrick. D.J. 1997. An evaluation of an inoculant/enzyme preparation as an additive for grass silage for dairy cattle. Grass and Forage Science. 52:325-335. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1997.tb02363.x
- SAS. 2003. SAS User's Guide. Version 9.1. SAS Institute Cary, NC.
- Seale, D.R. 1986. Bacterial inoculants as silage additives. Journal of Applied Bacteriology. 61:9-26.
- Thomas T.A. 1977. An automated procedure for the determination of soluble carbohydrates in herbage. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 28:639-642. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740280711
- Van Soest, P. and Wine, R. 1967. Use of detergents in the analysis of fibrous feeds. IV. Determination of plant cell-wall constituents. Journal of Association Official Analytical Chemists. 50.
- Vetter, R. and Glan, K.V. 1978. Abnormal silages and silage related disease problems. Fermentation of Silage a Review. 281-332.
- Woolford, M.K. 1990. The detrimental effects of air on silage. Journal of Applied Bacteriology. 68:101-116. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1990.tb02554.x
- Effects of Selected Inoculants on Chemical Compositions and Fermentation Indices of Rye Silage Harvested at Dough Stage vol.38, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2018.38.2.99