- Volume 13 Issue 4
As the business model is receiving considerable attention these days, the ability to collect business model related information has become essential requirement for a company. The annual report is one of the most important external documents which contain crucial information about the company's business model. By investigating business descriptions and their future strategies within the annual report, we can easily analyze a company's business model. However, given the sheer volume of the data, which is usually over a hundred pages, it is not practical to depend only on manual extraction. The purpose of this study is to complement the manual extraction process by using text mining techniques. In this study, the text mining technique is applied in business model concept extraction and business model evolution analysis. By concept, we mean the overview of a company's business model within a specific year, and, by evolution, we mean temporal changes in the business model concept over time. The efficiency and effectiveness of our methodology is illustrated by a case example of three companies in the US video rental industry.
Business Model;Text Mining;Keyword Extraction;10-K Annual Report;Business Model Concept;Business Model Evolution
- Casadesus-Masanell, R. and Ricart, J. E. (2010), From strategy to business models and onto tactics, Long Range Planning, 43(2), 195-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2010.01.004
- Cho, G. H., Lim, S. Y., and Hur, S. (2014), An analysis of the research methodologies and techniques in the industrial engineering using text mining, Journal of Korean Institute of Industrial Engineering, 40(1), 52-59. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2014.40.1.052
- Delen, D. and Crossland, M. D. (2008), Seeding the survey and analysis of research literature with text mining, Expert Systems with Applications, 34(3), 1707-1720. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.01.035
- Hoberg, G. and Phillips, G. M. (2010), Text-based network industries and endogenous product differentiation, NBER Working Paper No. 15991, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA.
- Johnson, M. W., Christensen, C. M., and Kagermann, H. (2008), Reinventing your business model, Harvard Business Review, 86(12), 57-68.
- Li, F. (2008), Annual report readability, current earnings, and earnings persistence, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 45(2), 221-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacceco.2008.02.003
- Linder, J. and S. Cantrell (2000), Changing business models: surveying the landscape, Working Paper, Institute for Strategic Change at Accenture, Dublin, Ireland.
- Magretta, J. (2002), Why business models matter, Harvard Business Review, 80(5), 86-93.
- Mikawa, K., Ishida, T., and Goto, M. (2011), An optimal weighting method in supervised learning of linguistic model for text classification, Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 11(1), 87-93. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2012.11.1.087
- Malone, T., Weill, P., Lai, R., D'Urso, V., Herman, G., Apel, T., and Woerner, S. (2006), Do some business models perform better than others? MIT Sloan Research Paper No. 4615-06, MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA.
- Martin, N. J. and Rice, J. L. (2007), Profiling enterprise risks in large computer companies using the Leximancer software tool, Risk Management, 9(3), 188-206. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.rm.8250030
- Miner, G., Delen, D., Elder, J., Fast, A., Hill, T., and Nisbet, R. A. (2012), Practical Text Mining and Statistical Analysis for Non-Structured Text Data Applications, Waltham, MA: Academic Press.
- Netflix (2011), Form 10-K (annual report), Available from: http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html.
- Osterwalder, A. and Pigneur, Y. (2010), Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Pohle, G. and Chapman, M. (2006), IBM's global CEO report 2006: business model innovation matters, Strategy and Leadership, 34(5), 34-40. https://doi.org/10.1108/10878570610701531
- US Securities and Exchange Commission (2012), Form 10-K, Available from: http://www.sec.gov/answers/form10k.htm.
- Timmers, P. (1998), Business models for electronic markets, Electronic Markets, 8(2), 3-8.
- Tseng, Y. H., Lin, C. J., and Lin, Y. I. (2007), Text mining techniques for patent analysis, Information Processing and Management, 43(5), 1216-1247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ipm.2006.11.011
- Zhang, Y. and Jiao, J. R. (2007), An associative classification- based recommendation system for personalization in B2C e-commerce applications, Expert Systems with Applications, 33(2), 357-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2006.05.005
- Zott, C. and Amit, R. (2008), The fit between product market strategy and business model: implications for firm performance, Strategic Management Journal, 29(1), 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.642
- Zott, C. and Amit, R. (2010), Business model design: an activity system perspective, Long Range Planning, 43(2), 216-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2009.07.004