- Volume 15 Issue 2
This study investigated the anthropometric characteristics of US women 26 to 45 years of age to classify their body shapes into different categories. Research data was obtained from 2950 women 26 to 45 years of age who participated in the SizeUSA study. A 26 to 35 years of age group and a 36 to 45 years of age group were selected from the data pool. A total of 26 measurements important for body shape classification and for apparel product development was used for the data analysis. Five factors accounted for the US women's body measurements. The body shapes of women were categorized into 4 types: Obese A-Shape, Overweight Y-Shape, Obese H-Shape, and Normal S-Shape. Normal S-Shape was the most common body shape type. More women in the 26 to 35 years of age group had Normal S-Shape type than women in the 36 to 45 years of age group. More women in the 36 to 45 years of age group had Obese A-Shape, Overweight Y-Shape, and Obese H-Shape than women in the 26 to 35 years of age group. Younger US women, 26 to 35 years of age had slimmer body sizes with more balanced body shapes; however, older US women, 36 to 45 years of age had larger body sizes with more various body shapes.
Body size;body shape;US women;3D body scanning
- Alexander, M., Pisut, G. R., & Ivanescu, A. (2012). Investigating women's plus-size body measurements and hip shape variation based on SizeUSA data. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 5(1), 3-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/17543266.2011.589083
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (n. a.). Body mass index. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/index.html
- Chung, M.-S. & Kim, K.-J. (2001). Classifi cation of sizing system for women's lower clothes according to body type and age group. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(4), 743-753.
- Clark, E. & Edelson, S. (2006, July 28). Neiman's goes raw with cusp format. WWD: Women's Wear Daily, p. 3.
- Devarajan, P. & Istook, C. L. (2004). Validation of female figure identifi cation technique (FFIT) for apparel software. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 4(1), 1-23.
- Edelson, S. (2007, September 1). A new dawn. WWD: Women's Wear Daily, p. 108.
- Gennette, J. (2012, March 22). Macy's sets strategy for Gen-Y shoppers. WWD: Women's Wear Daily, p. 1.
- Lee, J. (2011). Body characteristics, perceived body size and body-cathexis for short women aged 18 to 59, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 35(11), 1346-1361. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.11.1346
- Lee, J. Y., Istook, C. L., Nam, Y. J., & Park, S. M. (2007). Comparison of body shape between USA and Korean women. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 19(5), 374-391. https://doi.org/10.1108/09556220710819555
- Moin, D. (2005, December 22). Finish line's new chain paves way for women. WWD: Women's Wear Daily, p. 12.
- Moin, D. (2007, June 18). Brand expansion. WWD: Women's Wear Daily, pp. 16-17.
- Nam, Y. R., Choi, H. S., & Lee, J. H. (2013). A study on the middle-aged women's body type changes for clothing construction: Focused on the 5th and 6th Size Korea's anthropometric data. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(4), 583-595. https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.4.583
- Seyoum, B. (2010). Trade liberalization in textiles and clothing and developing countries: an analysis with special emphasis on the US import market. The International Trade Journal, 24(2), 149-181. https://doi.org/10.1080/08853901003652351
- Shim, J.-H. & Hahm, O.-S. (2001). A study on somatotype classifi cation and characteristics related to age of middle-aged women. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(4), 795-806.
- Thurman, E. (2007, February 13). Moving in. WWD: Women's Wear Daily, pp.12-13.
- Yi, K. H. & Istook, C. (2008). Comparison of 3D scanned anthropometric data between Korean and American adults by using ratios and indices. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(6), 959-967. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.6.959
- Analysis of body shape and anthropometric measurements of US middle-aged women using 3D body scan data vol.23, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2015.23.4.726