- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Comparison Study of Brassiere Preferences and Breast Perceptions among the Middle-aged and Older US Women
- Received : 2014.10.11
- Accepted : 2014.11.24
- Published : 2014.12.30
The bra is one of the most essential pieces of women's underwear which gives support for the breasts and holds them in position to make better outer appearance of upper body. Despite being worn by most women of all ages, brassiere manufacturers often use brassiere sizes and shapes that are close to the body measurements of women in their 20s, which raises questions whether the bras are suitable for older women's physique. Also, many lingerie markets tend to center on designs and tastes of younger women, leaving those of older women are largely ignored in the manufacturing process despite the fact that their purchasing power and market shares are expected to grow in conjunction with the aging of the global population. Against this backdrop, this study attempts to provide information about bra preferences and breast perceptions of the middle-aged and older US women over the age of 40 years to help manufacturers better understand the bra purchasing priorities and bra elements of older women and prompt them to design bras with a high level of fit and comfort that are appreciated by the population groups as a means to ultimately acquire competitive edge in the fast growing aging market. An email survey and interviews were conducted with 301 US women who live in New York City. The findings of this study suggest that there are internal and external factors such as changes in body and breast shapes with age influence the level of fitness and effectiveness of bra components, and thus the responses to the questions on bra preferences and breast perceptions varied between the researched age groups.
US women;Brassiere;Preferences;Breast perceptions
- Ahn, C., Lee, S., Yang, Y., Lim, S., Lennon, S. J., & Parker, S. M. (2001). A comparative research on Korean and American consumer's preference on selected Korean and American textiles for women's formal wear. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(2), 217-227.
- Birtwistle, G., & Tsim, C. (2005). Consumer purchasing behavior: an investigation of the UK mature women's clothing market. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 4(6), 453-464. https://doi.org/10.1002/cb.31
- Choi, K., Ryu, Y., Kim, I., & Jun, J. (2013). Development of the size specifications of bra tops for senior women. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Trend, 39, 271-280.
- Clarke, L., & Griffi n, M. (2008). Visible and invisible ageing: beauty work as a response to ageism. Ageing and Society, 28(5), 653-674. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X07007003
- Im, S., & Han, M. (2008). A cross-cultural study on the clothing value: focusing on Korea and the United States. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 16(4), 619-633. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2008.16.4.619
- Kim, E. Y. (2009). A comparison of the benefi ts for online clothing purchases between Korean and U.S. consumers. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 33(7), 1074-1085. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2009.33.7.1074
- Kim, H. S., & Kim, J. M. (2014). A comparative study on the bra wearing awareness and preferences between Korean and American women in their 30s. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Trend, 44, 407-416.
- Kim, H. S., Lee, S. Y., Kim, J. M., & Lee, J. H. (2012). Analysis on torso shapes of women in 50s and 60s. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing Industry, 36(3), 311-323. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.3.311
- Kim, J. H., & Lee, Y. J. (2010). A study on clothing purchasing behavior and preference images of the fashion items according to the age groups of the elderly woman. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing Industry, 12(3), 279-290. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.3.279
- Kim, J. M. (2013). Classifi cation of breast types through 3D human body scan data and brassiere construction by utilizing functional components: a focus on women in their 30s. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lim, J. (2004). A survey on the wearing conditions for the improvement of wearing comfort of brassiere. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing Industry, 6(4), 455-460.
- Na, M. (2009). A study on the development of brassiere pattern for elderly women. Journal of Korean Association of Human Ecology, 18(2), 397-406. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.2.397
- Park, E. M. (2000). A study on the brassiere sizing system and the basic pattern development for adult women. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Park, E. M., Kim, Y. S., & Sohn, H. S. (1997). A study on the sale conditions of the current brassiere products: focusing on the sale of brassiere for the elderly women. Journal of Fashion Business, 1(3), 60-70.
- Park, S. Y., & Sohn, H. S. (2001). A study on elderly women's breast types and their brassiere sizes. Journal of Fashion Business, 5(4), 144-157.
- Park, W. (1999). Preferred style of clothing with Body cathexis by Korean and American female students. Journal of Korean Society of Costume, 48, 25-36.
- Risius, D. J. (2012). An investigation of breast support for older women. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, UK.
- Risius, D., Thelwell, R., Wagstaff, C. R. D., and Scurr, J. (2014). The infl uence of ageing on bra preferences and self-perception of breasts among mature women. European Journal of Ageing, 11, 233-240. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10433-014-0310-3
- Seo, Y. H. (2009). Study of brassier design for elderly women based upon analysis current sales of brassier. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Seo, Y. H., & Chung, S. H. (2008). Study of elderly women's buying behavior of panty and brassier and wearing test of brassier. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(7), 1013-1022. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.7.1013
- Shin, K. (2010). Patternmaking for underwear design. USA: Kristina Shin.
- Yi, K., & Choi, H. (1995). A study on breast shapes for developing elderly women's brassiere. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 19(6), 995-1007.
- Twigg, J. (2007). Clothing, age and the body: a critical review. Ageing and Society, 27(2), 285-305. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X06005794