- Volume 15 Issue 2
This study examined housing costs and housing affordability of young college graduate renters in the Capital Region of Korea using microdata of the 2012 Korea Housing Survey (KHS). A licensed microdata set of 2012 KHS was obtained on September 29, 2012 from the official KHS Website and analyzed statistically. I selected 93,795 young college graduate renters between 20 and 29 years of age in the Capital Region and compared their housing costs across income levels and tenure type. Major findings were as follows: (1) Jeon-se deposit was on average 3.1 times the annual household income and monthly renters' deposit was 7.1 times the monthly household income; (2) households in higher income groups tended to pay a larger deposit and/or monthly rent; however, households with a lower income were found to pay a greater proportion of income to housing costs than households with a relatively higher income; (3) a total of 64% of all young college graduate renters had housing cost burdens to pay 30% or more of their income for housing, and more than 78% of the low-income households were found burdened; and (4) after housing cost payments, low-income households had less than one million KRW left to spend on other needs and savings; in addition, some low-to mid-income households had zero or even minus income left after housing cost payments.
2012 Korea Housing Survey;Housing Cost;Housing affordability;Post-college housing;Young renters;Capital Region
- Baek, D. (2008). A study on housing preferences of career beginners: Based on questionnaire survey in Seoul. Unpublished Master's thesis. Seoul: Konkuk University.
- Chung, E. (2012). Housing costs and household formation of young adults in Korea. Journal of the Korea Real Estate Analysts Association, 18(2), 19-31.
- Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University. (2014). The state of the nation's housing 2014. Retrieved from http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/jchs.harvard.edu/files/sonhr14-color-full.pdf
- Lee, H. (2013). Workforce entry preparers' post-college housing expectations and perception of housing cost burden. Journal of the Korean Housing Association, 24(4), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2013.24.4.029
- Lee, H. (2014). Comparisons of young renter households' housing situation by locations reflected in the 2012 Korea Housing Survey. Proceedings of Autumn Annual Conference of KHA, 2014, 269-274.
- Lee, H., Beamish, J., & Goss, R. C. (2014, October 6). Housing situation of young professionals in the United States and Korea. Paper presented at the 2013 Annual Conference of the Housing Education and Research Association.
- Lee. H. (2014). Housing choices of college graduates in their 20s reflected in national surveys of Korea and the United States. Proceedings of Spring Annual Conference of KHA, 2014, 263.
- Lim, E., Han, S. J., & Lee, H. (2013). Housing cost burdens of young professionals in architecture and interior design-related companies. Proceedings of 2013 Summer Conference of KAHE, 245-246.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. (n.d.). 주거실태조사 안내 [Introduction to the Korea Housing Survey]. 주거누리 [Joo-geo-noo-ri]. Retrieved from http://hnuri.go.kr/guide/dfn.do
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs. (2012a). 2012년도 주거실태조사: 연구보고서 [2012 Korea Housing Survey: Final report]. 주거누리 [Joo-geo-noo-ri]. Retrieved from http://hnuri.go.kr/stat/stat_byYearSearchViewPage.do
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs. (2012b). 2012년도 주거실태조사: 통계보고서 [2012 Korea Housing Survey: Statistics]. 주거누리 [Joo-geo-noo-ri]. Retrieved from http://hnuri.go.kr/stat/stat_byYearSearchViewPage.do
- SaramIn. (2009. 1. 14.). 2030 직장인 21%, 취업후에도 부모에게 경제적 도움 받아 [Twenty one percent of workers in their 20s and 30s receive parental supports even after their employment]. SaramIn. Retrieved from http://www.saraminhr.co.kr/open_content/pr/press_release.php?sno=60&group=basic&code=B2&category=&&field=all&search=%B0%E6%C1%A6%C0%FB&abmode=view&no=1133&bsort=&bfsort=wdate&listno=85
- SaramIn. (2010. 6. 8). 직장인 5명중 1명, 취업하고도 부모에게 손 벌려 [One in five office workers receives parental supports even after their employment]. SaramIn. Retrieved from http://www.saraminhr.co.kr/open_content/pr/press_release.php?sno=50&group=basic&code=B2&category=&&field=all&search=%B0%E6%C1%A6%C0%FB&abmode=view&no=1433&bsort=&bfsort=wdate&listno=94
- Statistics Korea. (n.d.). 주택보급률 [Housing distribution rates]. e-나라지표 [e-National Index]. Retrieved from http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=1227
- Household and Housing Characteristics of Young Renters in South Korea in Relation to Housing Value Clusters vol.26, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2015.26.6.043
- Young Single-Person Renter Households’ Housing Situation and Expectations in Relation to Family Support and Housing Cost Burden Reflected in the 2014 Korea Housing Survey vol.28, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2017.28.3.011