- Volume 23 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Atmospheric Analysis on the Meteo-tsunami Case Occurred on 31 March 2007 at the Yellow Sea of South Korea
2007년 3월 31일 서해에서 발생한 기상해일에 대한 기상학적 분석
- Received : 2014.08.29
- Accepted : 2014.11.10
- Published : 2014.12.31
A meteo-tsunami occurred along the coastline of South Korea on 31 March 2007, with an estimated maximum amplitude of 240 cm in Yeonggwang (YG). In this study, we investigated the synoptic weather systems around the Yellow sea including the Bohai Bay and Shandong Peninsula using a weather research and forecast model and weather charts of the surface pressure level, upper pressure level and auxiliary analysis. We found that 4-lows passed through the Yellow sea from the Shandung Peninsula to Korea during 5 days. Moreover, the passage of the cold front and the locally heavy rain with a sudden pressure change may make the resonance response in the near-shore and ocean with a regular time-lag. The sea-level pressure disturbance and absolute vorticity in 500 hPa projected over the Yellow sea was propagated with a similar velocity to the coastline of South Korea at the time that meteo-tsunami occurred.
Meteo-tsunami;Synoptic weather analysis;Pressure jump;Atmosphere-ocean interaction;Yellow sea
- Akamatsu, H., 1982, On seiches in Nagasaki Bay, Papers in Meteorology and Geophysics., 33(2), 95-115. https://doi.org/10.2467/mripapers.33.95
- Choi, B. J., Park Y., Kwon, K., 2008, Generation and growth of long ocean waves along the west coast of Korea in March 2007, Ocean Polar Res., 30(4), 453-466. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2008.30.4.453
- Choi, J. Y., Lee D. Y., 2009, Analysis of small-scale atmospheric pressure jumps related to the generation of abnormal extreme waves at Boryeong, Ocean Polar Res., 31(4), 370-388.
- Colucci, P., Michelato A., 1976, An approach to the study of the "Marrubbio" phenomenon, Bollettino di Geofisica Teorica ed Applicata, 13(69), 3-10.
- Eom, H. M., Seung, Y. H., Woo, S. B., You, S. H., 2012, Analysis of abnormal wave at the west coast on 31 March 2007, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal Ocean Engineers, 24, 217-227. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2012.24.3.217
- Fontsere, E., 1934, Les 'seixes' de la costa catalane, Servei Meteorologic de Catalunya, Notes d'Estudi, 58, 1-12.
- Fujita, T., 1955, Results of detailed synoptic studies of squall lines, Tellus, 7, 405-436. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2153-3490.1955.tb01181.x
- Gomis, D., Monserrat, S., Tintore, J., 1993, Pressure-forced seiches of large amplitude in inlets of the Balearic Islands, J. Geophys. Res., 98(C8), 14437-14445. https://doi.org/10.1029/93JC00623
- Goring, D. G., 2009, Meteotsunami resulting from the propagation of synoptic-scale weather systems, Phys. Chem. Earth, 34, 1009-1015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2009.10.004
- Hibiya, T., Kajiura, K., 1982, Origin of 'Abiki' phenomenon (a kind of seiches) in Nagasaki Bay, Journal of the Oceanographical Society of Japan, 38, 172-182. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02110288
- Honda, K., Terada, T., Yoshida, Y., Isitani, D., 1908, An investigation on the secondary undulations of oceanic tides, J. College Sci. Imper. Univ. Tokyo, 108.
- Kim, M. S., 2014, Comparative analysis of propagation direction of abnormal waves in the Yellow Sea on 31 March 2007 and on 25 April 2008 by analysis methodology for abnormal waves, Master Dissertation, Inha University, Incheon.
- Lee, B. C., Kao, C. C., Doong, D. J., 2010, An analysis of the characteristics of freak waves using the wavelet transform, Terr. Atmos. Ocean. Sci., 22(3), 359-370.
- Monserrat, S., Thorpe, A. J., 1992, Gravity-wave observations using an array of microbarographs in the Balearic Islands, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 118, 259-282.
- Monserrat, S., Vilibic, I., Rabinovich, A. B., 2006, Meteotsunamis: atmospherically induced destructive ocean waves in the tsunami frequency band, Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 6, 1035-1051. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-6-1035-2006
- Proudman, J., 1929, The effects on the sea of changes in atmospheric pressure, Geophysical Supplement to the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 2(4), 197-209. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.1929.tb05408.x
- Ramis, C., Jansa, A., 1983, Condiciones meteorol ' ogicas simult' aneas a la aparici ' on de oscilaciones del nivel del mar de amplitud extraordinaria en el Mediterr ' aneo occidental, Rev. Geof' isica, 39, 35-42.
- Renault, L., Vizoso, G., Jansa, A., Wilkin, J., Tintore, J., 2011, Toward the predictability of meteotsunamis in the Balearic sea using regional nested atmosphere and ocean models, Geophys. Res. Letters, 38, L10601.
- Tanaka, K., 2010, Atmospheric pressure-wave bands around a cold front resulted in a meteotsunami in the East China Sea in February 2009, Natural Hazards Earth System Sciences, 10, 2599-2610. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-10-2599-2010
- Tintore, J., Gomis, D., Alonso, S., Wang, D. P., 1988, A theoretical study of large sea level oscillations in the Western Mediterranean, J. Geophys. Res., 93, 10797-10803. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC093iC09p10797
- Torrence, C., Compo G. P., 1998, A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 79, 61-78. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0477(1998)079<0061:APGTWA>2.0.CO;2
- Vilibic, I., Domijan, N., Cupic, S., 2005, Wind versus air pressure seiche triggering in the Middle Adriatic coastal waters, J. Mar. Syst., 67, 189-200.
- The Cause of Abnormal Tidal Residuals Along the Coast of the Yellow Sea in November 2013 vol.22, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2016.22.4.344
- A Study on the Meteorological Threshold of the Meteo-Tsunami Occurrence in the Yellow Sea, Korea vol.27, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2018.27.1.11
Supported by : 기상청