- Volume 23 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Plankton Community Composition Related to Marine Environmental Factors in Haengam Bay
행암만 해양환경요인과 플랑크톤 군집구조의 변동
Kim, Jeong Bae;Hong, Sokjin;Lee, Won-Chan;Kim, Hyung Chul;Lee, Yong-Woo;Youn, Seok-Hyun;Cho, Yoonsik
- Received : 2014.08.29
- Accepted : 2014.12.11
- Published : 2014.12.31
We analyzed with HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) analysis photosynthetic pigments and environmental factors, microscopic observations of the phytoplankton and zooplankton in the seawater every month from February 2009 to November 2010 in Haengam Bay. The level of dissolved inorganic nutrients was the highest between July and September, when freshwater influx was at its peak, whereas chlorophyll a levels were the highest in April and August. Also, phytoplankton pigment concentration increased when dissolved inorganic nutrients are carried into nearshore waters by rainfall runoff. Based on identification of phytoplankton and photosynthetic pigments results, diatoms were mainly dominant while dinoflagellate populations increased at July and August 2009, May 2010. The zooplankton communities are dominated in terms of Noctiluca scintillans. The contribution of Noctiluca scintillans in 2010 accounts for approximately 77.3% of the total zooplankton. Distribution patterns over time of zooplankton in the seasonal distribution of phytoplankton showed a different pattern.
Haengam Bay;Phytoplankton;Zooplankton;HPLC;Nutrient;Noctiluca scintillans
- Choi, M.Y., Kwak, S.K., Cho, K.J., 2000, Algal bloom and distribution of Prorocentrum population in Masan -Jinhae Bay, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 18, 447-456.
- Chung, M.H., Youn, S.H., 2013, Temporal and spatial variability of phytoplankton communities in the Nakdong River Estuary and coastal area, 2011-2012, J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, The Sea, 18, 214-226. https://doi.org/10.7850/jkso.2013.18.4.214
- Baek, S.H., Shin, H.H., Kim, D.S., Kim, Y.O., 2011, Relationship between distributional characteristics of heterotrophic dinoflagellate Noctilica scintillans and environmental factors in Gwangyang Bay and Jinhae Bay, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 29, 81-91.
- Cho, K.J., Choi, M.Y., Kwak, S.K., Im, S.H., Kim, D.Y., Park, J.G., Kim, Y.E., 1998, Eutrophication and seasonal variation of water quality in Masan-Jinhae Bay, J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 3, 193-202.
- Dela-Cruz, J., Ajani, P., Middleton, H.J., Suthers, M.I., 2003, Population growth and transport of the red tide dinoflagellate Noctiluca scintillans in the coastal water off Sydney, Australia, using cell diameter as a tracer, Limnol. Oceanogr., 48, 656-674. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2003.48.2.0656
- Huang, C., Qi, Y., 1997, The abundance cycle and influence factors on red tide phenomena of Noctiluca scintillans (Dinophyceae) in Dapeng Bay, the South China Sea, J. Plankton Res., 19, 303-318. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/19.3.303
- Jeffrey, S.W., 1997, Application of pigment methods to oceanography. In: Jeffrey, S.W., Mantoura, R.F.C., Wright, S.W. (eds) Phytoplankton pigments in oceanography: guidelines to modern methods, UNESCO Publishing, Paris.
- Kim, D.W., 2012, Spatio-temporal distribution of zooplankton community in Masan and Jinhae Bay, M.S. Thesis, Korea Maritime and Ocean Univ., Pusan 67.
- Kim, S.Y., Lee, Y.H., Kim, Y.S., Shim, J.H., Ye, M.J., Jeon, J.W., Hwang, J.R., Jun, S.H., 2012, Characteristics of marine environmental in the hypoxic season at Jinhae bay in 2010, Korean J. Nature Conservation, 6, 115-129. https://doi.org/10.11624/KJNC.2012.6.2.115
- Kim, C.H., Shin, J.B., 1997, Harmful and toxic red tide algal development and toxins production in Korean coastal waters, Algae, 12, 269-276.
- Kwak, S.K., Choi, M.Y., Cho, K.J., 2001, Distribution and occurrence frequency of red-tide causing flagellates in the Masan-Jinhae Bay, Algae, 16, 315-323.
- Lee, C.W., Min, B.Y., 1990, Pollution in Masan Bay, a matter of concern in South Korea, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 21, 226-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(90)90338-9
- Lee, Y.W., Kim, G., 2007, Linking groundwater-borne nutrients and dinoflagellate red-tide outbreaks in the southern sea of Korea using a Ra tracer, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 71, 309-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2006.08.004
- Montani, S., Pithakpol, S., Tada, K., 1998, Nutrient regeneration in coastal sea by Noctiluca scintillans, a red tide causing dinoflagellate, J. Mar. Biotechnol., 6, 224-228.
- NFRDI, 2009, Hypoxia in the coast of Korea, 173.
- Paerl, H.W., Valdes, L.M., Pinckney, J.L., Piehler, M.F., Dyble, J., Moisander, P.H., 2003, Phytoplankton photopigments as indicators of estuarine and coastal eutrophication, BioScience, 53, 953-964. https://doi.org/10.1641/0006-3568(2003)053[0953:PPAIOE]2.0.CO;2
- Park, C.K., 1975, Eutrophication and chlorophyll content in the seawater of Jinhae Bay area, Bull. Korean Fish. Soc., 8, 121-126.
- Park, M.O., Park, J.S., 1997, HPLC method for the analysis of chlorophylls and carotenoids from marine phytoplankton, J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 32, 46-55.
- Parson, T.R., Takahashi, M., Hargrave, B., 1984, Biological oceanographic processes, Pergamon Press, 678.
- Reid, P.C., Lancelot, C., Gieskes, W.W.C., Hagmeier, E., Weichart, G., 1990, Phytoplankton of the North Sea and its dynamics: a review, Neth. J. Sea Res., 26, 295-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(90)90094-W
- Sohn, J.H., Ahn, T.Y., Kim, S.J., 2000, Environmental factors affecting distribution of heterotrophic bacteria and chlorophyll a content in the water column of Masan and Haengam Bays, Korea, J. Korean Soc. Marine. Environmental Engineering, 3, 65-75.
- Son, M., Hyun, B.G., Kim, D.S., Choi, H.W., Kim, Y.O., Baek, S.H., 2012, The correlation between environmental factors and phytoplankton communities in spring and summer stratified water-column at Jinhae Bay, Korea, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 30, 219-230.
- Umani, S.F., Beran, A., Parlato, S., Virgilio, D., Zollet, T., Olazabal, A.D., Lazzarini, B., Cabrini, M., 2004, Noctiluca scintillans Macartney in the Northern Adriatic Sea: long-term dynamics, relationships with temperature and eutrophication, and role in the food web, J. Plankton Res., 26, 545-561. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/fbh045
- UNESCO, 1978, Phytoplankton manual, UNESCO, UK, 337.
- Wright, S.W., Jeffrey, S.W., Mantoura, R.F.C., Llewellyn, C.A., Bjornland, T., Repeta, D., Welschmeyer, N., 1991, Improved HPLC method for the analysis of chlorophylls and carotenoids from marine phytoplankton, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 77, 183-196. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps077183
- Yim, U.H., Hong, S.H., Shim, W.J., Oh, J.R., Chang, M., 2005, Spatio-temporal distribution and characteristics of PAHs in sediments from Masan Bay, Korea, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 50, 319-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2004.11.003
- Yoo, K.I., 1991, Population dynamics of dinoflagellate community in Masan Bay with a note on the impact of environmental parameters, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 23, 185-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(91)90672-F
- Youn, S.H., Choi, J.K., 2008. Distribution pattern of zooplankton in the Han River Estuary with respect to tidal cycle, Ocean Sci J, 43, 135-146. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03020694
Supported by : 국립수산과학원