- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Flight Dynamics Analyses of a Propeller-Driven Airplane (I): Aerodynamic and Inertial Modeling of the Propeller
Kim, Chang-Joo;Kim, Sang Ho;Park, TaeSan;Park, Soo Hyung;Lee, Jae Woo;Ko, Joon Soo
- 투고 : 2014.06.10
- 심사 : 2014.12.10
- 발행 : 2014.12.30
This paper focuses on aerodynamic and inertial modeling of the propeller for its applications in flight dynamics analyses of a propeller-driven airplane. Unsteady aerodynamic and inertial loads generated by the propeller are formulated using the blade element method, where the local velocity and acceleration vectors for each blade element are obtained from exact kinematic relations for general maneuvering conditions. Vortex theory is applied to obtain the flow velocities induced by the propeller wake, which are used in the computation of the aerodynamic forces and moments generated by the propeller and other aerodynamic surfaces. The vortex lattice method is adopted to obtain the induced velocity over the wing and empennage components and the related influence coefficients are computed, taking into account the propeller induced velocities by tracing the wake trajectory trailing from each of the propeller blades. Aerodynamic forces and moments of the fuselage and other aerodynamic surfaces are computed by using the wind tunnel database and applying strip theory to incorporate viscous flow effects. The propeller models proposed in this paper are applied to predict isolated propeller performances under steady flight conditions. Trimmed level forward and turn flights are analyzed to investigate the effects of the propeller on the flight characteristics of a propeller-driven light-sports airplane. Flight test results for a series of maneuvering flights using a scaled model are employed to run the flight dynamic analysis program for the proposed propeller models. The simulations are compared with the flight test results to validate the usefulness of the approach. The resultant good correlations between the two data sets shows the propeller models proposed in this paper can predict flight characteristics with good accuracy.
propeller-driven airplane;flight dynamics modeling;vortex theory;blade element method
- TaeSan Park, Chang-Joo Kim, Sanh Hoon Shin, and Sunguk Hur, "Analysis Techniques of Flight Performance and Stability Analysis for Light Sports Airplane," The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Science, Spring conference, April, 2012.
- Gareth D. and Padfield, Helicopter Flight Dynamics, Blackwell Science, 2007.
- Yun, Y.-H., Kim, C.-J., Shin, K.-C., Yang, C.-D. and Cho, I.-J., "Building the Flight Dynamic Analysis Program, HETLAS, for the Development of Helicopter FBW System," 1st Asian Australian Rotorcraft Forum and Exhibition 2012, Bexco, Busan, Korea, February 12-15, 2012.
- J. Gordan Leishman, Principles of Helicopter Aerodynamics, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- John D. Anderson, Jr., Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, McGraw Hill, 2011.
- Chang-Joo Kim, "Implicit Formulation of Rotor Aeromechanic Equations for Helicopter Flight Simulation," Journal of KSASS, Vol. 33, No. 3, April 2002, pp. 8-16. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2002.30.3.008
- Chang-Joo Kim, "Helicopter Trim Analysis by Using Level 2 Mathematical Model for Rotor," The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Science, Autum conference, December 2001.
- Park, S.H. and Kwon, J.H., "Implementation of Turbulence Models in an Implicit Multigrid Method," AIAA Journal, Vol.42, No.7, 2004, pp.1348-1357. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.2461
- Lee, S.M., Sa, J.H., Jeon, S.E., Kim, C.J., Park, S.H. and Chung, K.H., "A Response-Surface Methodology for Rotor Airfoil Design with Multiple Design Constraints," 36th European Rotorcraft Forum, Paris, France, 2010.
- Bonilla, C., Gompertz, K., Thake, M., Bons, J.P., Park, S.H. and Kim, C.J., "Effect of Thickness Distribution on Airfoil Performance Near Critical Mach Number," AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Nashville, Tennesse,2012.
- Landgrebe A. J., "An Analytical Method for Predicting Rotor Wake Geometry," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 14, No. 4, 1969, pp.20-32. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.14.20
- Kocurek J. D. and Tangler J. L., "A Prescribed Wake Lifting Surface Hover Performance analysis," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 21, No. 1, 1976, pp.24-35.
- Vatistas G. H. , Kozel V. and Mih W.C., "A Simpler Model for Concentrated Vortices," Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 11, 1991, pp. 73-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00198434
- Chang-Joo Kim, et. al., "Flight Dynamic Analyses of Propeller-Driven Airplane (II): Building a High-Fidelity Math Model and Applications," International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 15, No. 4, 2014, pp. 356-365. https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2014.15.4.356
- Flight Dynamics Analyses of a Propeller-Driven Airplane (II): Building a High-Fidelity Mathematical Model and Applications vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2014.15.4.345
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport affairs