- Volume 15 Issue 4
This paper presents the computational aerodynamic analysis of a long-endurance UAV that was developed by the Korea Aerospace Research Institute (KARI), named EAV-2. EAV-2 is a technical demonstrator of aerodynamically efficient design, as well as a hybrid electric-propulsion system for future long-endurance UAVs. We evaluated the aerodynamic characteristics of six low-Reynolds number airfoils, using a panel method code, XFOIL, to select an optimal airfoil for the long-endurance mission of EAV-2. The computational results by a CFD code, FLUENT, suggested that the aerodynamic performance of EAV-2 would be notably improved after adopting SG6043 airfoil, and modifying the fuselage design. This reduced the total drag by 43%, compared to that of a previous KARI model, EAV-1, at the target lift of
Long endurance;UAV;Low-Reynolds number airfoils;CFD
- G. Romeo, G. Frulla, E. Cestino, and G. Corsino, "HELIPLAT: Design, Aerodynamic and Structural Analysis of Long-Endurance, Solar-Powered Stratospheric Platform," Journal of Aircraft, Vol.41, No.6, 2004, pp. 1505-1520. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.2723
- C. L. Nickol, M. D. Guynn, L. L. Kohout, and T. A. Ozoroski, "High Altitude Long Endurance Air Vehicle Analysis of Alternatives and Technology Requirements Development," AIAA Paper 2007-1050, Jan. 2007.
- J. W. Youngblood, T. A. Talay, and R. J. Pegg, "Design of Long Endurance Unmanned Airplanes Incorporating Solar and Fuel Cell Propulsion," AIAA Paper 84-1430, Jun. 1984.
- W. J. Jin, Y. G. Lee, C. W. Kim, S. M. Ahn, and D. S. Lee, "Computational Analysis of Aerodynamic Performance of a small-scale Electric Aerial Vehicle," Proceeding of the 2010 Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences (KSAS) Fall Conference, Vol. 1, 2010, pp. 473-476.
- M. Drela and H. Youngren, XFOIL 6.94 User Guide, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, URL: http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/xfoil/, 2001.
- M. S. Selig, J. J. Guglielmo, A. P. Broeren, and P. Giguere, Summary of Low-Speed Airfoil Data, Vol. 1, Soar Tech Publications, Virginia Beach, 1995.
- C. A. Lyon, A. P. Broeren, P. Giguere, A. Gopalarathnam, and M. S. Selig, Summary of Low-Speed Airfoil Data, Vol. 3, Soar Tech Publications, Virginia Beach, 1998.
- ANSYS FLUENT Ver. 12 Software Package, Ansys Fluent Inc., Canonsburg, PA, USA.
- GAMBIT Software Package, Ver. 2.4.6, Ansys Fluent Inc., Canonsburg, PA, USA.
- TGRID Ver. 3.5, Ansys Fluent Inc., Canonsburg, PA, USA.
- Y. G. Lee, W. J. Jin, S. M. Ahn, and D. S. Lee, "Numerical and In-Flight Drag Estimation of a Small Electric Aerial Vehicle," Proceeding of the 2011 Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences (KSAS) Fall Conference, Vol. 1, 2011, pp. 839-844.
- Advanced Aircraft Analysis Software Package, Ver. 3.2, DARCorporation, Lawrence, KS, USA.
- M. S. Selig and B. D.McGranahan, Wind Tunnel Aerodynamic Tests of Six Airfoils for Use on Small Wind Turbines, National Renewable Energy Laboratory Subcontractor Report, NREL/SR-500-34515, Oct. 2004.
- D. P. Raymer, Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach, the 4th edition, AIAA Education Series, AIAA Inc., Reston, 2006.
- J. E. Williams and S. R. Vukelich, "The USAF Stability and Control Digital Datcom," AFFDL-TR-3032, Apr. 1979.
- Wing Design Optimization for a Long-Endurance UAV using FSI Analysis and the Kriging Method vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2016.17.3.423
Grant : System and Operational Technology Research for Electric Airplane (II)
Supported by : Korea Aerospace Research Institute (KARI)