- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Wing weight estimation considering constraints of structural strength and stiffness in aircraft conceptual design
Bai, Chen;Mingqiang, Luo;Zhong, Shen;Zhe, Wu;Yiming, Man;Lei, Fang
- Received : 2014.11.03
- Accepted : 2014.12.05
- Published : 2014.12.30
According to the requirement of wing weight estimation and frequent adjustments during aircraft conceptual design, a wing weight estimation method considering the constraints of structural strength and stiffness is proposed to help designers make wing weight estimations rapidly and accurately. This method implements weight predictions on the basis of structure weight optimization with stiffness constraints and strength constraints, which include achievement of wing shape parametric modeling, rapid structure layout, finite element (FE) model automated generation, load calculation, structure analysis, weight optimization, and weight computed based on modeling. A software tool is developed with this wing weight estimation method. This software can realize the whole process of wing weight estimation with the method and the workload of wing weight estimation is reduced because much of the work can be completed by the software. Finally, an example is given to illustrate that this weight estimation method is effective.
weight estimation;aircraft conceptual design;weight optimization;load computation;parameterized modeling
- Yu XiongQing, Xu HuiMin, and Ang HaiSong. Aircraft conceptual/preliminary design. Beijing: Aviation Industry Press, 2000, Chinese.
- Raymer D P., Aircraft design: a conceptual approach. 3rd Edition, Reston: AIAA Inc, 1999.
- Gu Songfen, and Xie Sishi., Aircraft conceptual/preliminary design, Beijing: BeiHang University Press, 2001, Chinese.
- Li W J., Aircraft conceptual/preliminary design, Xian: Northwestern Polytechnical University Press, 2005, Chinese.
- Jan Roskam., Aircraft Design, Roskam Aviation and Engineering Corporation, 1985.
- Ajoy Kundu., Aircraft Design, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Bindolino G, Ghiringhelli G, and Ricci S, et al. "Multilevel structural optimization for preliminary wing-box weight estimation", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 47, No.2, 2010, pp. 475-489. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.41552
- Ma J X., "Weight Prediction Technology Based on Modeling and Multidisciplinary Analysis", Journal of Aeronautical Manufacturing Technology, Vol. ?, No.7, 2012, pp. 26-30.
- Ledermann C, Ermanni P, and Kelm R. "Dynamic CAD objects for structural optimization in preliminary aircraft design", Journal of Aerospace science and technology, Vol. 10, No. 7, 2006, pp. 601-610. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2006.07.001
- Elham A, La Rocca G, and van Tooren M J L., "Development and implementation of an advanced, designsensitive method for wing weight estimation", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2013, pp. 100-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2013.01.012
- Wei Si., Weight Estimation of Wings in Preliminary Aircraft Design[D], Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2010, Chinese.
- M. Droegkamp., Finite element model weight estimation, SAWE Paper No. 2089, May 1992.
- G. Bindolino, G. Ghiringhelli, S. Ricci, and M. Terraneo., "Multilevel structural opti-mization for preliminary wing-box weight estimation", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 47, No. 2, 2010, pp. 475-489. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.41552
- M. Laban, P. Arendsen, W. Rouwhorst, and W. Vankan, "A computational design engine for multidisciplinary optimisation with application to a blended wing body configuration", AIAA Paper 91-5058, in: 9th AIAA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimisation, Atlanta, 2002.
- F. Hurlimann, R. Kelm, M. Dugas, K. Oltmann, and G. Kress, "Mass estimation of transport aircraft wingbox structures with a CAD/CAE-based multidisciplinary process", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 15, No. 4, 2011, pp. 323-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2010.08.005
- M. Sensmeier, B. Stewart, and amareh, "Rapid generation and assessment of aircraft structural topologies for multidisciplinary optimization and weight estimation", in: Collection of Technical Papers - AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Vol. 7, 2006, pp. 4722-4733.
- Wang G L, Sun Y D, and Wu Z., "Rapid uniform aliform component modeling based on parameter in conceptual aircraft design", Acts Aeronautics et Astronautics Sinica, Vol. 23, No. 6, 2002, pp. 575-578.
- Luo Mingqiang, Feng Haocheng, Liu Hu and Wu Zhe., "Rapid wing structure design and automated scheme adjustment for civil aircraft", Journal of Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol. 4:0.18, 2009.
- Luo Mingqiang, Feng Haocheng, Liu Hu and Wu Zhe., "Rapid wing structural finite element modeling and automated adjustment". Journal of Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol. 6:0.12, 2011.
- Luo Mingqiang, Wei Chenglong, Liu Hu and Wu Zhe., "Rapid Estimation Method for Aircraft Weight and Center of Gravity Based on 3-D Parametric Modeling", Acta Aeronautica ET Astronautica Sinica, Vol. 34, No. 3, 2013, pp. 566-573.
- Li ZhengNeng, Zhang YuZhu, Fang WeiGuo., Aircraft Structure. Beijing: BeiHang University Press, 2005, Chinese.
- Roberts R W, Canfield R A, and Blair M., "Sensor-craft structural optimization and analytical certification", AIAA-2005-1458, 2005.
- Choi S, Alonso J J, and Kroo I ,M., "Multifidelity Design Optimization of Low-Boom Supersonic Jets", Journal of Aircraft. Vol. 45:1, 2008.
- Taira T, Jeong S, and Obayashi S, et al., "GUI-based Geometry Deformation Tool for Modification of Aircraft Configurations[C]", 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, 2013.
- Thomas J L and Miller D S., "Numerical Comparisons of Panel Methods at Subsonic and Supersonic Speeds", AIAA paper, 79-0404, January 1979.
- Sytsma H S, Hewill B L and Rubbert P E., "A Comparison of Panel Methods for Subsonic Flow. Computation", AGARD Paper 241, May 1976.
- Thomas J L, Luckring J M, and Sellers M W L., "Evaluation of Factors Determining the Accuracy of Linearized Subsonic Panel Methods", AIAA 83-1826.
- Tinoco E N, Ball D N and Rice F A., "PAN AIR Analysis of a Transport High-Lift Configuration. Journal of Aircraft", Vol. 24, No. 3,1987, pp. 181-187. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.45414
- Chen A W and Tinoco E N., "PAN AIR Applications to Aero-Propulsion IntegrationR", AIAA-83-1368, 1983.
- Tinoco E N and Chen A W., "Transonic CFD Applications to Engine/Airframe Integration", AIAA-84-0381, 1984.
- CHEN J, WANG H, and ZHANG Y., "Studies on Adaptive Genetic Algorithm Applied to Wing Weight Calculation for Civil Airplanes", Computer Simulation, Vol. 5: 026, 2011.
- Development of a Physics-Based Design Framework for Aircraft Design using Parametric Modeling vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2015.16.3.370