- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Aesthetic Characteristics of Western Women's Costumes on Artistic Paradigm Shifts and Modern Expression in Fashion
예술적 패러다임 전환기에 나타난 서양 여성 복식의 미적 특성과 현대적 표현
- Received : 2014.06.30
- Accepted : 2014.12.25
- Published : 2014.12.31
This study investigated the relationship between inner characteristics manifested through the characteristics of artistic styles and formativeness manifested through external expressions of architectural styles in the early Medieval Period and early Renaissance Period. The method applied to this study is as follows. First, a historical document research was conducted centering on academic theses, related books, and academic databases; in addition, a case study identified the aesthetic characteristics of women's clothes. The conclusion of this study is as follows. First, the following is the analysis of the relationship between the artistic mode and architectural formativeness in the early Medieval Period and early Renaissance Period that represent a turning point in artistic paradigms. Second, the inner characteristics and eclecticism of the artistic mode literally appear in the formativeness of architectural style in the early Medieval Period, and the eclecticism in the architectural style appears to be expressed through a combination with new styles based on the application of the retro mode such as the eclectic adoption of cultural styles of various regions based on the tradition and technology of ancient Rome. Third, the trend of the aesthetic characteristics commonly appear in the modern style of expression related to the aesthetic characteristics of western women's clothes in the early Medieval Period; in addition, the early Renaissance Period was analyzed as decorativeness and respectively manipulability.
aesthetic characteristics of Western women's costumes;the artistic paradigm shift;modern expressions in fashion
- Arnold, H. (1999). Sozialgeschichte der kunst und literatur: Renaissance, Mannerism, Baroque. [The social history of art and literature]. (N. C. Paik, Trans.). Seoul: Changbi. (Original work published 1900)
- Barthes, R. (1985). The Fashion system. London: Jonathan cape
- Beardsley, M. C. (1975). Aesthetics from classical Greece to the present. Alabama: University of Alabama press.
- Boucher, F. (1966). 20,000 years of fashion. New York: Harry n Abrams.
- Brian, T. (1998). The mi'le ages(II): Readings in medieval history. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Burckhardt, J., Maurizio, G., David, B., & Caroline, B. (2004). Italian Renaissance painting according to genres. Michigan: Getty publications.
- Burckhardt, J. (2008). Weltgeschichtliche betrachtungen. [Judgement on world history]. (I. H. Ahn, Trans.). Seoul: Humanist. (Original work published 1905)
- Carolyn, G. B. (2001). Western world costume. New York: Dover.
- Choi, J. H. (2011). A study on the characteristics of garden architecture in Italian Renaissance villa lante. Korean Traditional Landscape & Architecture Research Journal, 29(2), 90-98.
- Davies, P., Denny, W., Hofrichter, F., & Jacobs, J. (1978). Janson's history of art. New York: Prentice Hall.
- Emile, M. (1949). Religious art. New Jersey: Princeton University press.
- Friedrich, W. (2011). Philosophie der kunst. [Philosophy aesthetics]. Seoul: Intelligence makes intelligence.
- 'Haute Couture Alexander Mcqueen 2004 S/S'. (2010, March 4). Alexander Mcqueen. Retrieved March 6, 2013, from http://www.alexandermcqueen.com/experience/en/alexandermcqueen/archive/?years=2004&season=springsummer#id_article=173
- 'Haute Couture Alexander Mcqueen 2007 S/S'. (2006, May 27). Raised by a queen. Retrieved March 6, 2013, from http://raisedbyaqueen.tumblr.com/post/23851296807/voguelovesme-alexander-mcqueenspring-summer
- 'Haute Couture Alexander McQueen 2012 F/W Paris'. (2012, March 3). Alexander Mcqueen. Retrieved April 12, 2013, from http://www.alexandermcqueen.com/experience/en/alexandermcqueen/archive/?years=2012&season=autumnwinter
- 'Haute Couture Alexander McQueen 2007 F/W'. (2007, April 17). The Fashion Spot. Retrieved March 6, 2013, from http://fouums.theashionspot.com/f81/flourishes-fiinery-55706.html
- 'Haute Couture Christian Dior 2008 S/S'. (2007, October 10). Fashion Insight. Retrieved March 6, 2013, from http://www.fi.co.kr/Collection/review.asp?idx=1626
- 'Haute Couture Marios Schwab 2008 F/W'. (2008, March 30). Fashion Insight. Retrieved April 10, 2013, from http://www.fi.co.kr/Collection/review.asp?idx=2796
- 'Haute Couture Jean Paul Gaultier 2008 S/S'. (2008, January 23). Vogue UK. Retrieved March 6, 2013, from http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/spring-summer-2008/couture/jean-paul-gaultier
- 'Haute Couture Max Mara 2008/2009 F/W'. (2007, May 13). Bellazon. Retrieved April 12, 2013, from http://www.bellazon.com/main/topic/10353-irina-kulikova/page-49
- Hugh, H., & John, F. (1991). Histoire mondiale de l'art [World history of art]. Paris: Bordas.
- Jeon, Y. S. (1984). A study on the characteristics of clothing styles in Renaissance age. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Jung, H. S. (1981). Western costume history. Seoul: Kyomunsa.
- Johnson, P. (2002). The Renaissance. New York: Modern Library.
- Kenneth, C. (1993). Art and civilization (S. T. Choi, Trans.). Seoul: Munye publications. (Original work published 1989)
- Kim, S. W. (2001). A study of table works for practical uses: The middle ages European architectural style. Unpublished master's thesis, Hongik University, Seoul.
- Kim, Y. H. (1998). Western intellectual movement . Seoul: Jisiksanup publications.
- Kim, Y. I., Kim, H. Y., & Han, E. J. (2010). Development of an integrated color design system for fashion based on personal color image. The Journal of the Korean Society of Costumes, 60(7), 61-73.
- Kim, H. S. (1958). A western history of costumes. Seoul: Munho publications.
- Kim, H. Y. (1989). A study of costumes in the paintings of late medieval age: 14th to 15th century. The Journal of the Korean Society of Costumes, 13, 80-103.
- Kim, S. W. (2001). Der arcitektonische ausdruck der beziehung zwischen weltlicher und geistlicher macht: Am beispiel der mittelalterlichen architektue [Architectural expressions on relationship between the spiritual and the temporal in the early medieval age: Focused on medieval architecture of Germany]. The Journal of German Linguistics and Literatures, 40, 279-299.
- Ko, S. C. (1988). A study of costumes in medieval Christianity: Focused on catholic in Rome-. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. H. (2005). The characteristics of Korean costume colors and the interpretation from the perspective of cultural semiotics. Unpublished doctoral thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lionello, V. (1964). History of art criticism. New York: E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc.
- Munroe, C. V. (1987). Aesthetics (F. W. Lee, S. H et al., Trans.). Seoul: Irongwasilchun publications. (Original work published 1975)
- Min, S. H. (1984). The introductions of Western costumes. Seoul: Samyoungsa.
- Norris, H. (1999). Medieval costume and fashion. New York: Dover.
- Na, I. J. (1984). A study on the characteristics and meanings of Byzantine costumes. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Pai, M. S. (1994). A history of decorative arts. Seoul: Jimoondang.
- Peter, M., & Linda, M. (1996). The Oxford companion to Christian art and architecture. London: Oxford University press.
- Philippe, P. (2007). Les dessus et les dessous de la bourgeoisie [Fashioning the bourgeoisie: A history of clothing]. (J. H. Lee, Trans.). Seoul: Hyunsilmunhwa Yeongu.
- 'Ralph Lauren 2006 S/S New York'. (2005, October 15). Style. Retrieved March 10, 2013, from https://m.style.co.kr/collection/view.asp?scd_code=1161#47575_1_4
- Read, H. (1965). Icon and idea: The function of art in the development of human consciousness. Berlin: Schocken books.
- 'Ready-to-wear Alberta Ferretti 2008 S/S'. (2007, September 26). Vogue UK. Retrieved March 6, 2013, from http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/spring-summer-2008/ready-to-wear/alberta-ferretti
- 'Ready-to-wear Diane Von Furstenberg 2007/2008 F/W'. (2007, June 31). Fashion Insight. Retrieved March 6, 2013, from http://www.fi.co.kr/Collection/review.asp?idx=947
- 'Ready-to-wear Giles 2008 F/W'. (2014, June 17). Elle. Retrieved April 10, 2013, from http://www.elle.com/pop-culture/reviews/game-of-thrones-meets-the-runway-season-4-23#slide-24
- 'Ready-to-wear Givenchy 2002/2003 F/W'. (2002, March 12). Vogue Italia. Retrieved Mar 10, 2013, from http://www.vogue.it/en/shows/show/fw-02-03-ready-to-wear/givenchy
- 'Ready-to-wear John Galliano 2007 S/S'. (2006, October 7). Vogue UK. Retrieved April 12, 2013, from http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/spring-summer-2007/ready-to-wear/john-galliano
- 'Ready-to-wear Versace 2005 S/S Milano'. (2004, October 2). Style. from http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2005RTW-VERSACE
- 'Ready-to-wear Yves Saint Laurent 2011 F/W Paris'. (2011, March 4). Vogue. Retrieved April 12, 2013, from http://www.vogue.com/fashion-week/fall-2011-rtw/saint-laurent
- 'Ready-to-wear Yves Saint Laurent 2005/2006 F/W'. (2005, March 5). Vogue Italia. Retrieved March 11, 2013, from http://www.vogue.it/en/shows/show/fw-05-06-ready-to-wear/yves-saintlaurent
- Symonds., John, A., & Pearson, A. (2002). A short history of Renaissance Italy. Hawaii: University press of the Pacific.
- Thomas, S. K. (2002). The structure of scientific revolutions (M. J. Kim, Trans.). Seoul: Kkachigulbang. (Original work published 1980)
- 'Versace Collection 2008/2009 F/W'. (2011, January 11). The Fashion Spot. Retrieved March 6, 2013, from http://forums. thefashionspot.com/f52/mariacarla-boscono-october-2011-march-2013-a-150375-9.html
- Walker, J. (1984). National gallery of art. Washington D. C.: Prestel publishing.
- Weinberg, J. R. (1994). A history of medieval philosophy (Y. G. Kang, Trans.). Seoul: Minumsa. (Original work published 1984)
- 'Women's Resort Collection Chanel 2013 S/S'. (2012, May 14). Style. Retrieved April 10, 2013, from http://www.style.com/fashionshows/resort-2013/chanel
- Yim, S. J. (1993). The crisis of early Renaissance and Bramante: The traditions of medieval decorative paintings and the use of Bramante order. Architecture Research, 9(7), 71-80.
- Yim, S. J. (2003). A history of Western architecture (2nd ed.). Seoul: Book House.
- Yoon, W. H. (2010). A study on the art of Italian Renaissance: Pre Renaissance and early Renaissance. The Journal of Humanities, 40, 263-280.
- Yoon, I. Y. (1998). Iconology and plastic art analysis, Seoul: Jaewonsa.
- Yoon, I. Y. (2001). Le style et l'idee de l'architecture: From Renaissance to Baroque [Modes and Ideas of architectures]. Korea French Research Journal, 35, 259-300.
- John, M. (1987). Allegory. Seoul: Seoul University publishing co.
- Kwon, Y. G. (2002). Now in colors. Seoul: Kukje.
- Power, E. (2000). Medieval People. New York: Dover