- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Consumption Values on Appearance Management Behaviors - Differential, Material and Practical Value-
소비가치가 외모관리행동에 미치는 영향 - 차별적, 물질적, 실용적 가치를 중심으로 -
Kim, In Suk;Kim, Eun Hye
- Received : 2014.11.10
- Accepted : 2014.12.20
- Published : 2014.12.31
The purposes of this study are to classify consumption values and to examine the effects of consumption values on appearance management behaviors. Questionnaires data was obtained through adults over 20 years old of age (N=478) in Gyeonggi-do, Daegu and Kyungpook regions. Descriptive statistics, factor analysis, multiple regression analysis, t-test and ANOVA were applied. The results of this study are as follows. First, consumption values are composed of three factors such as differential value, material value and practical value. Appearance management behaviors are identified such as surgery/skin care, clothing care, weight training and hair care. The weight training in appearance management behaviors is the most preferred behavior. Second, the results of regression analysis are like as follows: The effects of consumption on plastic surgery/skin care are explained by the differential value, material value and practical value(-). On weight training and hair care, the differential value and material value have positively significant effects. The differential value has significant effects on all over appearance management behaviors. Third, there are signigicant differences in consumption values and appearance management behaviors according to demographic variables. The single, females in 20s and 30s with higher monthly income and payment have higher differential value and lower practical value. The single and female in 20s and 30s were more involved in appearance management behavior.
consumption value;differential value;material value;practical value;appearance management behavior
- Chang, T. Z., & Wildt, A. R. (1994). Price, product information and purchase intention: an empirical study. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 22(1), 6-27.
- Goffman, E. (1965). Identity kits. In M. E. Roach & J. B. Eicher (Eds.), Dress, adornment and the social order. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Han, H. J., & Kim, M. S. (2002). Relating consumption value to prepurchase decision making of apparels. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(6), 853-864.
- Horn, M. J. (1975). The second skin: An interdisciplinary study of clothing(3rd ed.). Boston: Houghton Mufflin Hardcourt.
- Hur, W. M., Kim, J. Y., & Park, K. D. (2007). A study on the impact of consumption value on buying behavior of digital convergence product. Journal of Korean Technology Innovation Society, 19(3), 458-485.
- Hwang, Y. J. (2007). The effects of sociocultural attitudes toward appearance, self-esteem, and physical attractiveness perceptiveness on the appearance management behaviors. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Daegu Catholic University, Daegu.
- Jung, U. J. (2011). A study on attitude and characteristics towards appearance care of adult male. Journal of the Korean Society of Beauty and Art, 12(2), 27-45.
- Kasier, S. B. (1997). The social psychology of clothing(2nd ed.). New York: Fairchild Publications.
- Kang, M. H. (2005). A study on the consumer value for new product development of well-being trend. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kang, N. S. (2011). The effect of body satisfaction in university students on appearance management behavior and beauty consumption behavior. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmology, 9(1), 1-17.
- Kim, E. J. (2001). A research on the appearance-management behaviors in college woman. Unpublished master's thesis, Ehwa Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, K. S., & Kim, M. S. (2002). Exploring the determinants of purchasing foreign luxurious products. Advertising Research, 55, Summer, 17-23.
- Kim, S. E. (2006). A study of the knowledge and the management of skin health among the male adults of Korean society. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungshin Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. H. (2003). A study on the sociocultural attitude toward appearance and appearance-management behavior - Focused on females in their twenties -. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 41(5), 99-108.
- Kim, Y. S., & Park, J. Y. (2009). The analysis on appearance management of male college students: Focused on management of hair, skin, cosmetic surgery, fashion and body shape. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 18(1), 259-273. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.1.259
- Kwon, M. W. (2000). Consumption value and rationality of consumption behavior of adolescent consumers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Kwon, M. W., & Rhee, K. C. (2000). A study on differences of consumer values among adolescent consumers. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 7(1), 169-193.
- Lee, J. H. (2003). A study on the appearance-management behaviors in university man - As related to sex role identity -. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. W., & Kim, M. Y. (2010). Type and price of cosmetics brand selection by cosmetics consumption value. Journal of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(7), 1149-1161. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.7.1149
- Lee, H. O. (2008). A structural study on the interpersonal appearance factors influencing on cosmeceuticals usage intension. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- Lee, M. H., & Yoo, H. S. (2011). Relationship between shangri-la syndrome and appearance management behavior. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 13(2), 194-204. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2011.13.2.194
- Moon, H. K., & Choo, H. J. (2008). The effects of clothing consumption values on ambivalent clothing consuming behavior. Journal of the Korean Society of Costumes, 58(2), 1-14.
- Nam, S. J. (2007). The effects of individualism/collectivism and consumption values on the consumption self-regulation. Journal of Korean Consumption Culture Association, 10(3), 59-86. https://doi.org/10.17053/jcc.2007.10.3.004
- Nam, S. K. (1995). The effects of values in consumer decision making. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul.
- Paik, S. Y., & Lee, S. J. (2000). The effect of adolescents' consumption values on the clothing products evaluation. Journal of Korean Society of Costume, 50(6), 59-72.
- Park, E. H., & Ku, Y. S. (2008a). The effect of consumption value on college students' clothing attitudes. Journal of Fashion Business, 12(5), 141-154.
- Park, E. H., & Ku, Y. S. (2008b). Fashion product purchasing behavior according to college students' consumption value typology. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 17(4), 759-769. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.4.759
- Park, K. H. (2000). A study on consumer values and clothing shopping orientations. Journal of Consumer Studies, 11(1), 49-58.
- Park, K. H., & Kim, I. S. (2013). Differences of appearance management behaviors and life satisfaction among lifestyle groups. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(4), 554-564. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.4.554 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.4.554
- Park, K. H., & Yoo, H. S. (2012). An analysis of the causal relationships between cognition, attitude, and behavior toward appearance management. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 50(1), 51-63. doi:10.6115/khea.2012.50.1.051 https://doi.org/10.6115/khea.2012.50.1.051
- Park, K. H., & Yoo, H. S. (2013). Appearance orientation and appearance management behaviors in relation to body mass index and demographic variables. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(6), 912-922. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.6.912 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.6.912
- Park, S. J., & Park, K. S. (2008). The changing aspect of appearance in male fashion magazines. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 17(1), 105-114. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.1.105
- Park, S. M. (2011). A structural relationship between consumption value, consumption behavior and consumption satisfaction. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sungshin Women's University, Seoul.
- Park, S. M., & Huh, K. O. (2012). A structural relationship between consumption value, consumption behavior and consumption satisfaction by income class. Journal of Korean Consumption Culture Association, 15(3), 139-157. https://doi.org/10.17053/jcc.2012.15.3.007
- Sheth, J. N., Newman, B. I., & Gross, B. L. (1991). Why we buy what we buy: a theory of consumption values. Journal of Business Research, 22, 159-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(91)90050-8
- Solomon, M. R., & Rabolt, N. J. (2004). Consumer behavior: in fashion. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Sweeny, J. C., Geoffery, N. S., & Lester, W. J. (1997). Retailer service quality and perceived value: a comparison of the model. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 4(1), 39-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-6989(96)00017-3
- Vinson, D. E., Scott, J. E., & Lamont, L. M. (1977). The role of personal values in marketing and consumer behavior. Journal of Marketing, April, 44-55.
Supported by : 신흥대학교