- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Basic Study on the Development of Impact Protective Pants and Falls of Elderly Women
여성노인의 낙상실태 및 충격보호팬츠 개발을 위한 기초 연구
Lee, Jin Suk;Park, Jung Hyun;Lee, Jeong Ran
- Received : 2014.08.22
- Accepted : 2014.10.30
- Published : 2014.12.31
This study aims to develop protective pants to relieve impact from falls and to present basic data for the development. The survey results are as follows; First, 45% of the respondents were in their 60s and 55% of them were in their over 70s and older. Also, 64% of them have fallen once for the past year and 36% of them have fallen twice or more. The older they were, the more there were those who have fallen twice or more. This indicated the older people has experienced more fall accidents again after a initial fall accident. Second, as per accident situations, the survey showed that fall accidents happened the most in the winter and in the afternoon (12-18 pm). Also, it happened on a street mostly and they were wearing sneakers or hiking boots when they got a hurt slipped in a front or side by missing their step in a walk. The injury areas are mostly knee and ankle. They had the bruises or a sprain in their knee and ankle mostly. The rate of bone fracture was 19.5%. Therefore, the protection area to falls in lower body is the knee. But hip and hip joint should be protected with knee as well because those are usually be broken when it is damaged. Third, approximately 80% of those who were hospitalized for treatment had surgery. Patients who had surgery were rather in their over 70s than in their 60s. The older they were, the more serious their fracture was. The period of hospital or outpatient treatment is more than three weeks in many cases. They responded their health got worse after falls. Aftereffects of accidents were physical discomfort, anxiety and medical costs. Falls to the old makes physical damage, psychological damage, which cause reduced physical activity and the increased cost of health care with economic losses. So it results on a negative impact on the life of the old. Fourth, elderly females were rarely aware of impact protective clothing and they have never purchased such clothing. For impact protective pants, the major consideration was suitable design for their body types. They liked casual style with front or side pockets and simple designs without any patterns or decorations. As per pants materials, they responded that they need functionality, activity and elasticity. Among the functional points, insulation of cloths are considered importantly, so the heat reservance of material in the impact protective pants should be considered carefully.
fall;fall experienced;elderly women;impact protective pants
- Carroll, N. V., Slattum, P. W., & Cox, M. T. (2005). The cost of falls among the community-dwelling elderly. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy, 11(4), 307-316.
- Chio, H. J., Lim, K. I., & Jun, T. W. (2007). The study isokinetic muscle power, flexibility, static balance and dynamic reaction time according to the frequence of fall down in elderly women. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, 21(3), 55-64.
- Chang, C. M., & Kang, H. S. (2004). Physical function and psychological status in the elderly those who experienced a fall or not. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 7(1), 48-57.
- Eom, J. Y. (2006). A study on the elderly patients hospitalized due to fall injuries. Korean Academic Society of Womens Health, 7(2), 47-68.
- 'Hip joint fracture threatening elderly health in winter'. (n. d.). Catholic medical center. Retrieved January 8, 2014, from http://www.terms.naver.com
- Jeon, M. Y., Jeong, H. C., & Choe, M. A. (2001). A study on the elderly patients hospitalized by the fracture from the fall. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 31(30), 443-453.
- Kanten, D. N., Mulrow, C. D., Gerety, M. B., Lichtenstein, M. J., Aquilar, C., & Cornell, J. E. (1993). Falls: an examination of three reporting methods in nursing homes. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 41(6), 662-666. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1993.tb06741.x
- Kim, M. S., & Lee, E. N. (2006). A literature review of exercise intervention for fall prevention in the elderly. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 13(1), 7-19.
- Kim, M. J. (2004). Associated factors caused by falls of older people in community dwelling. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womens University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. H., Kwon, T. K., Hong, C. U., & Kim, N. G. (2005). A basic study on fall pattern for fracture prevention system. Journal of Engineering Research, 36, 1-7.
- Kim, S. H., Kim, Y. Y., Kown, T. K., Kim, D. W., & Kim N. G. (2007). Dynamic characterization of fall for development of fracture prevention system. Journal of Biomedical Engineering Research, 28(6), 811-816.
- Kim, S. B., Kwak, H., & Han, S. H. (2006). Prevention of falls and consequent injuries in elderly people. Journal of Bone Metabolism, 13(2), 93-101.
- Kim, S. H., Kim, D. W., & Kim, N. G. (2010). Fall simulation and impact absorption system for development of fracture prevention system. Journal of Biomedical Engineering Research, 31(6), 438-448.
- Kim, S. K., & Kim, J. I. (2011). Activities of daily living, health related quality of life according to the experience of falls among the aged in community. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 18(2), 227-237. doi:10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.227 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.227
- Kim, S. A. (2013). Actual conditions of silver elderly women's clothing habits and the survey of clothing construction technique need. Source book of the Clothing Construction Branch Summer workshop of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 1-21.
- Kim, J. M., & Suh, H. K. (2010). Risk factors for falls in the elderly by life-cycle. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 27(1), 21-34.
- Lee, S. G., & Kim, H. J. (2011). Factors influencing the fear of falling in elderly in rural communities. Journal of Agric Med Community Health, 36(4), 251-263. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2011.36.4.251
- Park, A. J., Lim, N. Y., Kim, Y. S., Lee, Y. K., & Song, J. H. (2011). Incidence and predictors of falls in institutionalized elderly. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 18(1), 50-62. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.1.050
- Park, J. H., & Lee, J. R. (2014). Study on the preference survey for developing the fall impact clothing-Targeting women ages 50s to 70s-. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 16(1), 101-110. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.1.101 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.1.101
- Park, Y. H. (2004). Fall risk assesment in the community dwelling elderly. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 6(2), 170-178.
- Rubenstein, L. Z., & Josephson, K. R. (2006). Falls and their prevention in elderly people: What does the evidence show?. The medical Clinics of North America, 90, 807-824. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2006.05.013
- Tinetti, M. E., Baker, D. I., McAvay, G., Claus, E. B., & Horwitz, R. I. (1994). A multifactorial intervention to living in the community. The New England Journal of Medicine, 33, 821-827.
- Yeom, J. H., & Na, H. J. (2012). Risk factors of falls among Korean elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 32(2), 577-592.
- Yoo, I. Y., & Lee, J. A. (2009). Characteristics and factors associated with falls of the community-dwelling elderly in small cities. Journal of the Korean Society of Living Environmental System, 16(4), 428-435.
- Characteristic Evaluation of Impact Absorption Materials for the Development of Fall Impact Protective Pants vol.40, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.3.495
- Development and Evaluation of Fall Impact Protection Pad vol.20, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.4.422
- Development and Evaluation of Fall Impact Protective Clothing for the Elderly Women vol.20, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.5.569
Supported by : 한국연구재단