- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Wearing Characteristic Evaluation of Hip Protector for Hip Fracture Prevention
고관절 골절 예방을 위한 힙프로텍터 착용특성 평가
Jeon, Eun-Jin;Park, Sei-Kwon;You, Hee-Cheon;Kim, Hee-Eun
- Received : 2014.08.18
- Accepted : 2014.10.30
- Published : 2014.12.31
We surveyed the wearing characteristics of hip protectors. The problems of existing hip protectors were identified and the directions for improvement were presented. The evaluation of wearing characteristics was conducted on the 100 elderly women (60 to 85 years) with 5 types of hip protector. The questionnaire was composed of history and characteristics on falling, hip protector acceptance, preference, use characteristics and improvement requirements. The result of wearing characteristic evaluation indicated that 52% of the subject experienced falling in winter. Incidents resulting from falling occurred: outdoors (74.5%), bathroom (10.9%), and kitchen (5.5%). Body parts to be protected were in several areas: 35.6% for lumbar, 26.9% for hip joint, and 15% for hip bone. Participants prefer a belt B type design at a rate of 56.9% because it provided a sense of stability by clinging to the body and upholding the waist. Belt B type was the most appropriate in terms of fit, allowance, mobility, and design except pad thickness. To reduce the risk of hip fracture, hip protector needs to be designed in consideration of user's type of fall and body shape. The pattern and size of a hip protector has to be improved in regards to the amount of discomfort. An objective evaluation is needed for the ergonomic design of a hip protector based on and analysis of 3D body image of the elderly and the shock-absorbing quality of pad.
hip protector;falling;hip fractures;wearing convenience;movability
- Choi, W. J., Hoffer, J. A., & Robinnovitch, S. N. (2010). The effect of positioning on the biomechanical performance of soft shell hip protectors. Journal of Biomechanics, 43(5), 818-825. doi:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2009.11.023. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2009.11.023
- Compston, J. (2008). The national osteoporosis guideline: comprehensive and up to date. Prescriber, 19(22), 7-9.
- Empana, J. P., Dargent-Molina, P., & Breart, G. (2004). Effect of hip fracture on mortality in elderly women: the EPIDOS prospective study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 52(5), 685-690. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52203.x
- Jeon, E. J., Park, S. K., You, H. C., & Kim, H. E. (2014). Wearing characteristic evaluation of hip protector product design for hip fracture prevention. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Fashion & Textile Industry, Spring Conference, Korea.
- Joo, J. H., Lee, S. C., Ahn, H. S., Park, J. S., Lee, W. J., & Jung, K. A. (2013). Evaluation of the alpha angle in asymptomatic adult hip joints: analysis of 994 hips. Hip International, 23(4), 395-399. doi: 10.5301/hipint.5000036. https://doi.org/10.5301/hipint.5000036
- Kannus, P., Parkkari, J., Niemi, S., Pasanen, M., Palvanen, M., Jaervinen, M., & Vuori, I. (2000). Prevention of hip fracture in elderly people with use of a hip protector. New England Journal of Medicine, 343(21), 1506-1513. doi:10.1056/NEJM200011233432101 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200011233432101
- Kim, S. H., Kwon, T. K., Hong, C. U., & Kim, N. G. (2005). A basic study on fall patterns for fracture prevention system. Journal of Engineering Research, 36, 1-7.
- Kim, Y. G. (2009). The characteristics of elderly consumer behaviors in the consumption of aging friendly products. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 29(1), 21-35.
- Kwon, Y. S., & Kim, H. J. (2009). Review quality of life and mortality in patients with hip fractures. The Korean Hip Society, 21(1), 17-21.
- Kwon, O. Y. (1997). Characteristics of fall incidence in an elderly community population and the effects of exercise training on strength and balance for elderly fallers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- O'Halloran, P. D., Murray, L. J., Cran, G. W., Dunlop, L., Kernohan, G., & Beringer, T. R. (2005). The effect of type hip protector and resident characteristics on adherence to use of hip protectors in nursing and residential homes-an exploratory study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 42(4), 387-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2004.09.010
- Statistics Korea. (2006). Increase rate of elderly population. Retrieved October 21, 2013, from http://kostat.go.kr
- Hip Protector Design Process for the Korean Elderly vol.18, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.4.520
- Development of a Sizing System and a Draping Pattern for Hip Protector based on 3D Data Analysis of Korean Older Women vol.18, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.1.120
- Development and Evaluation of Fall Impact Protection Pad vol.20, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.4.422
Supported by : 한국연구재단