- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study of Mass Transfer and Bubble Hydrodynamic Parameters in Bubble Column Reactor: Physical Configurations and Operating Conditions
Sastaravet, Prajak;Chuenchaem, Chomthisa;Thaphet, Nawaporn;Chawaloesphonsiya, Nattawin;Painmanakul, Pisut
- Received : 2014.07.21
- Accepted : 2014.10.31
- Published : 2014.12.31
In this paper, effects of physical configurations and operating conditions on bubble column performance were analyzed in terms of bubble hydrodynamic and mass transfer parameters. Bubble column with 3 different dimensions and 7 gas diffusers (single / multiple orifice and rigid / flexible orifice) were applied. High speed camera and image analysis program were used for analyzing the bubble hydrodynamic parameters. The local liquid-side mass transfer coefficient (
Bubble column;Bubble size;Interfacial area;Liquid-side mass transfer coefficient;Superficial gas velocity;Volumetric mass transfer coefficient
- Deckwer WD. Bubble column reactors. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd; 1992.
- Bouaifi M, Hebrard G, Bastoul D, Roustan M. A comparative study of gas hold-up, bubble size, interfacial area and mass transfer coefficients in stirred gas-liquid reactors and bubble columns. Chem. Eng. Process. 2001;40:97-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0255-2701(00)00129-X
- Hebrard G, Bastoul D, Roustan M. Influence of the gas spargers on the hydrodynamic behaviour of bubble columns. Chem. Eng. Res. Des. 1996;74:406-414.
- Painmanakul P, Loubiere K, Hebrard G, Buffiere P. Study of different membrane spargers used in waste water treatment: characterisation and performance. Chem. Eng. Process. 2004;43:1347-1359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2003.09.009
Vazquez G, Cancela MA, Varela R, Alvarez E, Navaza JM. Influence of surfactants on absorption of
$CO_2$in a stirred tank with and without bubbling. Chem. Eng. J. 1997;67:131-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1385-8947(97)00047-8
- Akosman C, Orhan R, Dursun G. Effects of liquid property on gas holdup and mass transfer in co-current downflow contacting column. Chem. Eng. Process. 2004;43:503-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2003.09.004
- Loubiere K, Hebrard G. Bubble formation from a flexible hole submerged in an inviscid liquid. Chem. Eng. Sci. 2003;58:135-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2509(02)00468-2
- Alves SS, Maia CI, Vasconcelos JMT. Gas-liquid mass transfer coefficient in stirred tanks interpreted through bubble contamination kinetics. Chem. Eng. Process. 2004;43:823-830. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0255-2701(03)00100-4
- Kulkarni AA, Joshi JB. Simultaneous measurement of flow pattern and mass transfer coefficient in bubble columns. Chem. Eng. Sci. 2004;59:271-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2003.05.007
- Painmanakul P, Loubiere K, Hebrard G, Mietton-Peuchot M, Roustan M. Effects of surfactants on liquid-side mass transfer coefficients. Chem. Eng. Sci. 2005;60:6480-6491. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2005.04.053
- Rice RG, Lakhani NB. Bubble Formation at a puncture in a submerged rubber membrane. Chem. Eng. Commun. 1983;24:215-234. https://doi.org/10.1080/00986448308940083
- Loubiere K, Hebrard G. Influence of liquid surface tension (surfactants) on bubble formation at rigid and flexible orifices. Chem. Eng. Process. 2004;43:1361-1369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2004.03.009
- Lessard RR, Zieminski SA. Bubble coalescence and gas transfer in aqueous electrolytic solutions. Ind. Eng. Chem. Fund. 1971;10:260-269. https://doi.org/10.1021/i160038a012
- Grace JR, Wairegi T. Properties and Characteristics of drops and bubbles. In: Encyclopedia of Fluid Mechanics, Cheremisinoff. Chap 3. Houston: Gulf Publ. Comp.; 1986. p. 43-57.
- Sardeing R, Painmanakul P, Hebrard G. Effect of surfactants on liquid-side mass transfer coefficients in gas-liquid systems: A first step to modelling. Chem. Eng. Sci. 2006;61:6249-6260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2006.05.051
- Treybal RE. Mass Transfer Operations. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1980.
- Higbie R. The rate of absorption of a pure gas into a still liquid during short periods of exposure. Transactions of the American Institution of Chemical Engineers. 1935;31:365-389.
- Development of modified airlift reactor (MALR) for improving oxygen transfer: optimize design and operation condition using ‘design of experiment’ methodology pp.1479-487X, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2019.1579869
Supported by : National Research University