- Volume 19 Issue 4
Microwave (MW) radiation was developed to remove and recover ammonia nitrogen in the real swine wastewater. The effect of operating parameters of MW radiation such as initial pH, power, radiation time, aeration, and stirring for removal ammonia nitrogen in swine wastewater was determined. The pH, radiation time, and power were significantly influenced on the removal of ammonia nitrogen, and aeration and stirring showed relatively minor effect on the removal of ammonia nitrogen. Optimum condition was achieved to retrieve the nitrogen efficiently at pH 11, 700 W for 5 min in MW radiation process. Through this process, 83.1% of ammonia nitrogen concentration was reduced in swine wastewater and also 82.6% of ammonia nitrogen was recovered as ammonium sulfate at the optimized condition. The high ammonia removal and recovery efficiency of the MW radiation method indicated that MW radiation was an effective technique to remove and recover ammonia nitrogen in the swine wastewater.
Ammonia nitrogen;Microwave radiation;Swine wastewater
- Rodriguez DC, Belmonte M, Penuela G, Campos JL, Vidal G. Behaviour of molecular weight distribution for the liquid fraction of pig slurry treated by anaerobic digestion. Environ. Technol. 2011;32:419-425. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2010.501821
- Rajagopal R, Masse DI, Singh G. A critical review on inhibition of anaerobic digestion process by excess ammonia. Bioresour. Technol. 2013;143:632-641. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2013.06.030
- Zang GL, Sheng GP, Li WW, et al. Nutrient removal and energy production in a urine treatment process using magnesium ammonium phosphate precipitation and a microbial fuel cell technique. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2012;14:1978-1984. https://doi.org/10.1039/c2cp23402e
- Maurer M, Schwegler P, Larsen TA. Nutrients in urine: energetic aspects of removal and recovery. Water Sci. Technol. 2003;48:37-46.
- Ippersiel D, Mondor M, Lamarche F, Tremblay F, Dubreuil J, Masse L. Nitrogen potential recovery and concentration of ammonia from swine manure using electrodialysis coupled with air stripping. J. Environ. Manage. 2012;95:165-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2011.05.026
- Fu G, Cai T, Li Y. Concentration of ammoniacal nitrogen in effluent from wet scrubbers using reverse osmosis membrane. Biosyst. Eng. 2011;109:235-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2011.04.005
- Lin L, Yuan S, Chen J, Xu Z, Lu X. Removal of ammonia nitrogen in wastewater by microwave radiation. J. Hazard. Mater. 2009;161:1063-1068. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.04.053
- Lin L, Chen J, Xu Z, et al. Removal of ammonia nitrogen in wastewater by microwave radiation: A pilot-scale study. J. Hazard. Mater. 2009;168:862-867. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.02.113
- Ifeanyichukwu MJ. New leachate treatment methods [dissertation]. Sweden: Lund Univ.; 2008.
- Remya N, Lin JG. Current status of microwave application in wastewater treatment-A review. Chem. Eng. J. 2011;166:797-813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2010.11.100
- Etter B, Tilley E, Khadka R, Udert KM. Low-cost struvite production using source-separated urine in Nepal. Water Res. 2011;45:852-862. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2010.10.007
- Park WJ, Ahn JH. Effects of microwave pretreatment on mesophilic anaerobic digestion for mixture of primary and secondary sludges compared with thermal pretreatment. Environ. Eng. Res. 2011;16:103-109. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2011.16.2.103
- Rabah FKJ, Darwish MS. Characterization of Ammonia Removal from Municipal Wastewater Using Microwave Energy: Batch Experiment. Environ. Nat. Resour. Res. 2012;3:42-50.
- Cheung KC, Chu LM, Wong MH, Ammonia stripping as a pretreatment for landfill leachate. Water Air Soil Poll. 1997;94:209-221.
- Toreci I, Kennedy KJ, Droste RL. Effect of high temperature microwave thickened waste-activated sludge pretreatment on distribution and digestion of soluble organic matter. Environ. Eng. Sci. 2009;26:981-991. https://doi.org/10.1089/ees.2008.0297
- Zhang DM, Chen YX, Jilani G, Wu WX, Liu WL, Han ZY. Optimization of struvite crystallization protocol for pretreating the swine wastewater and its impact on subsequent anaerobic biodegradation of pollutants. Bioresour. Technol. 2012;116:386-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.03.107
Grant : Efficiency improvement of integrated energy production process by bioelectrochemical method
Supported by : Rural Development Administration