- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Caries Prevention Effect of Water Fluoridation in Gimhae, Korea
김해시 수돗물불소농도조정사업의 영구치 우식예방효과
- Kim, Han-Na ;
- Cho, Hyun-Hee ;
- Kim, Min-Ji ;
- Jun, Eun-Joo ;
- Han, Dong-Hun ;
- Jeong, Seung-Hwa ;
- Kim, Jin-Bom
- Received : 2014.08.19
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.12.31
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of a water fluoridation program (WFP) on prevention of dental caries in Gimhae City, Korea, with reference to the results of 2012 Korean National Oral Health Survey (KNOHS). In WFP population, 972 subjects including 8-, 10- and 12-year-old children in Gimhae City were examined in 2009. The WFP in Gimhae city has been implemented since 1999. 1872 subjects in non-fluoridated small and medium sized cities similar to Gimhae city were selected from 2012 KNOHS data as the control population. Two dentists who received training in KNOHS with an inter-examiner-agreement examined oral health status of all subjects. To assess the effects of WFP on dental caries, caries preventive fraction was estimated by assessing the differences of decayed, missing, and filled teeth (DMFT) index and decayed, missing, and filled surfaces (DMFS) index, DMFS in pit and fissures and smooth surfaces between WFP population and the control. Univariate analysis of variance adjusted for gender and number of fissure-sealed teeth or surfaces was conducted. DMFT of 12-year-old subjects (n=354) in WFP and control population (n=1,518) were 1.60 and 2.12, respectively, with an estimated prevention effect of 24.7%. Caries preventive fraction on pit and fissure, and smooth surfaces of WFP subjects was estimated 27.5% and 24.0%, among subjects aged 12 years, respectively. WFP in Gimhae City, Korea reduced the prevalence of dental caries and is recommended as a public oral health program where a fluoride-containing toothpastes are commonly used.
Caries prevention;Dental caries;Fluorides;Water fluoridation
- Ministry of Health and Welfare: 2010 Korean National Oral Health Survey: III. Summary. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, 2010.
- Featherstone JDB: Prevention and reversal of dental caries: role of low level fluoride. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 27: 31-40, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1999.tb01989.x
- Petersen PE: World Health Organization global policy for improvement of oral health-world health assembly. Int Dent J 58: 115-121, 2008.
- Davis GN: Cost and benefit of fluoride in the prevention of dental caries Geneva. World Health Organization, Geneva, pp.2-17, 1974.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare: Workshop for water fluoridation program in 2000. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, pp.6-12, 2000.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare: 2011 guideline for water fluoridation program. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, p.73, 2010.
- Park MS, Nam YS: Study on influence of water fluoridation program on oral health status. J Dent Hyg Sci 5: 71-76, 2005.
- Park TG, Kim BJ, Han DH, et al.: Evaluation of caries prevention effect from pit and fissure sealant program added by community water fluoridation program in Habchon-Up, Habcheon-Gun, Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 32: 517-527, 2008.
- Kim MK, Jung JI, Kim MJ, et al.: Cost-benefit analysis of a water lfuoridation program for 11 years in Jinju, Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 38: 118-128, 2014. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.2.118
- Cho HJ, Jin BH, Park DY, et al.: Systemic effect of water fluoridation on dental caries prevalence. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 42: 341-348, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/cdoe.12091
- 2009 Population of Gimhae: Gimhae statistics. Retrieved August 25, 2014, from http://stat.gimhae.go.kr/sub/03_01_ 2013.jsp (2009, September 20).
- Jeong MS, Lee SM, Bae KH, Kim JS, Woo YO, Kim JB: Evaluation of caries preventive effect after a 6-year community water fluoridation program in Gimhae, Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 31: 347-354, 2007.
- Cho HJ, Lee HS, Paik DI, Bae KH: Association of dental caries with socioeconomic status in relation to different water fluoridation levels. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 30: 1-7, 2014.
- Korea Health Promotion Foundation: The effectiveness of community water fluoride in Korea. Korea Health Promotion Foundation, Seoul, p.28, 2011.
- Spencer AJ: Contribution of fluoride vehicles to change in caries severity in Austalian adolescents. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 14: 238-241, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1986.tb01062.x
- Krol DK: Dental saries, oral health, and pediatricians. Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care 33: 253-270, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1538-5442(03)00093-2
- Marinho VC, Higgins JP, Logan S, Sheiham A. Fluoride toothpastes for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1: CD002278, 2003.
- Kim JY, Lee JH, Park HK, Kim EK, Kim JB. User rate of fluoride-containing toothpaste in Ulsan Metropolitan City. J Korean Acad Dent Health 27: 149-156, 2003.
- Pizzo G, Piscopo MR, Pizzo I, Giuliana G. Community water fluoridation and caries prevention: a critical review. Clin Oral Invest 11: 189-193, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-007-0111-6
- Groeneveld A, Van Eck AA, Backer DO. Fluoride in caries prevention: is the effect pre- or post-eruptive? J Dent Res 69: 751-755, 1990.
- Petersen PE, Lennon MA. Effective use of fluorides for the prevention of dental caries in the 21st century: the WHO approach. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 32: 319-321, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00175.x
- Johnson NW, Lalloo R, Kroon J, Tut O: Effectiveness of water fluoridation in caries reduction in a remote indigenous community in Far North Queensland. Aust Dent J 59: 1-6, 2014.
- Kingman A, Selwitz RH: Proposed methods for improving the efficiency of the DMFS index in assessing initiation and progression of dental caries. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25: 60-68, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb00900.x
- Koch G, Bergmann-Arnadottir I, Bjarnason S, Finnbogason S, Hoskuldsson O, Karlsson R: Caries-preventive effect of fluoride dentifrices with and without anticalculus agents: a 3-year controlled clinical trial. Caries Res 24: 72-79, 1990.
- Garabedian AH: Efficacy of the Indiana school water fluoridation program. Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Indiana University, Purdue, USA, 2002.
- Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Forss H, Walsh T, et al.: Sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth. Database Syst Rev 3: 1-139, 2013.
- McDonagh MS, Whiting PF, Wilson PM, et al.: Systematic review of water fluoridation. BMJ 321: 855, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.321.7265.855
- Jason M, John Spencer A, Kaye F: Water fluoridation and the association of sugar-sweetened beverage consumption and cental caries in Australian children. Am J Public Health 103: 494-500, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300889