- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Medical Radiation Exposure in Children CT and Dose Reduction
소아 CT 촬영시 방사선 피폭과 저감화 방법
- Received : 2013.11.26
- Accepted : 2014.01.20
- Published : 2014.01.28
Recently pediatric CT has been performed by reduced dose according to tube current modulation이라고, this fact has a possibility more reduce a dose because of strong affect depend on tube current modulation. Almost all MDCT snow show and allow storage of the volume CT dose index (CTDIvol), dose length product (DLP), and effective dose estimations on dose reports, which are essential to assess patient radiation exposure and risks. To decrease these radiation exposure risks, the principles of justification and optimization should be followed. justification means that the examination must be medically indicated and useful. Results is using tube current modulation이라고 tend to the lower kV, the lower effective dose. In case of use a low dose CT protocol, we found a relatively lower effective dose than using tube current modulation. Average effective dose of our studies(brain, chest, abdomen-pelvis) less than 47%, 13.8%, 25.7% of germany reference dose, and 55.7%, 10.2%, 43.6% of UK(United Kingdom) reference dose respectively. when performed examination for reduced dose, we must use tube current modulation and low dose CT protocol including body-weight based tube current adaption.
Tube Current Modulation;Effective Dose;Low Dose CT Protocol
- D. J. Brenner and E. J. Hall, "Computed tomography-an increasing source of radiation exposure," N Engl J Med, Vol.357, pp.2277-2284, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra072149
- D. D. Cody, D. M. Moxley, and K. T. Krugh, "Strategies for formulating appropriate MDCT techniques when imaging the chest, abdomen, and pelvis in pediatric patients," AJR Am J Roentgenol, Vol.182, pp.849-859, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.182.4.1820849
- L. F. Donnelly and D. P. Frush, "Pediatric multidetector body CT," Radiol lin North Am, Vol.41, pp.637-655, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0033-8389(03)00036-8
- H. S. Im, K. H. Kim, and M. K. Kim, Computed Tomography, Academia, pp.657-692, 2009.
- H. Greess, A. Nomayr, and H. Wolf, "Dose reduction in CT examination of children by an attenuationbased on-line modulation of tube current (CARE Dose)," Eur Radiol, Vol.12, pp.1571-1576, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-001-1255-4
- H. W. Goo and D. S. Suh, "Tube current reduction in pediatric non-ECGgated heart CT by combined tube current modulation," Pediatr Radiol, Vol.36, pp.344-351, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-005-0105-y
- H. W. Goo, and D. S. Suh, "The influences of tube voltage and scan direction on combined tube current modulation: a phantom study," Pediatr Radiol, Vol.36, pp.833-840, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-006-0177-3
- C. Suess, X. Chen. "Dose optimization in pediatric CT: current technology and future innovations," Pediatr Radiol, Vol.32, pp.729-734, 2002 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-002-0800-x
- W. Huda, and A. Vance, "Patient radiation doses from adult and pediatric CT," AJR Am J Roentgenol, Vol.188, pp.540-546, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.06.0101
- S. R. Kim, T. T. Yoshizumi, and D. D. Frush, "Radiation Dose From Cone Beam CT in a Pediatric Phantom: Risk Estimation of Cancer Incidence," American Roentgen Ray Society, AJR.194, pp.186-190, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.08.2168
- M. G. Nagel, and G. Stamm, "Paediatric CT exposure practice in the federal republic of Germany:results of a nation-wide survey in 2005/06," Hannover: Hannover Medical School, 2005-06.
- P. C. Shrimpton, M. C. Hillier, M. A. Lewis, and M. Dunn, "National survey of doses from CT in the UK:2003," Br J Radiol, Vol.79, pp.968-980, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/93277434
- A. L. Baert and K. Knauth, "Dose Optimization and Reduction in CT of Childen," In :Peter Vock and Rainer Wolf Springer, pp.223-236, 2007.
- B. Newman, "Ultrasound body applications in children," Pediatr Radiol, Vol.2, pp.555-561, 2011.
- P. J. Strouse, "Pediatric appendicitis: an argument for US," Radio-logy, Vol.255, pp.8-13, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.10091198
- L. N. Nazarian, "The top 10 reasons musculoskeletal sonography is an important complementary or alternative technique to MRI," AJR Am J Roentgenol, Vol.190, pp.1621-1626, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.3385
- D. P. Frush, "CT dose and risk estimates in children," Pediatr Radiol, Vol.41, Suppl 2. pp.483-487, 2011.
- K. J. Strauss and M. J. Goske, "Estimated pediatric radiation dose during CT," Pediatr Radiol, Vol.41, Suppl 2, pp.472-482, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-011-2179-z
- Radiological protection and safety in medicine. "A report of the International Commission on Radiological Protection," Ann ICRP, Vol.26, pp.1-47, 1996.
- F. R. Verdun, D. Gutierrez, and J. P. Vader, "CT radiation dose in children: a survey to establish age-based diagnostic reference levels in Swit-zerland," Eur Radiol, Vol.18, pp.1980-1986, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-008-0963-4
- E. Yakoumakis, M. Karlatira, and G. Gialousis, "Effective dose variation in pediatric computed tomography: dose reference levels in Greece," Health Phys, Vol.97, pp.595-603, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.HP.0000363840.78169.1b
- W. E. Muhogora, N. A. Ahmed, and J. S. Alsuwaidi, "Paediatric CT examinations in 19 developing countries: frequency and radiation dose," Radiat Prot Dosimetry, Vol.140, pp.49-58, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncq015
- D. S. Kim, "Guideline for diagnostic reference level of the radiation exposure of CT examination. Seoul: National Insti-tute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation," 2009.
- National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation, "Tech-nical standard for the performance of pediatric radiography. Seoul: National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation," 2010.
- A. Y. Jung. "Dose reduction strategies in pediatric CT," Radat Health Newsl, Vol.18, pp.1-4, 2011.
- Total Body Irradiation of Childhood Leukemia dose Evaluation due to Changes in the Thickness of the Tissue Compensators vol.14, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.04.249
- The Study of Dosimetry according to the Thickness of Beam Spoiler on Total Body Irradiation vol.8, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.5.265