- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Employees' Social Regard on Service Loyalty: Comparative Approach of Beauty Services and Fast-food Services in Service Settings
종업원의 고객에 대한 배려행동이 서비스 충성도에 미치는 영향: 미용실서비스와 패스트푸드서비스의 비교적 접근
- 성윤옥 (단국대학교 경영학부)
- Received : 2013.10.16
- Accepted : 2013.12.09
- Published : 2014.01.28
This paper examined the influence of employees' social regard toward the customers, such as, overall service quality, service satisfaction, and service loyalty. The paper proves that the high contact beauty services and the low contact fast-food services have different customer satisfaction level depending on the employees' social regards. A survey study was conducted to collect the data with the actual service purchasers at domestic beauty services and fast-food services. Analysis of structural equation modeling with Amos 18.0 was performed to test the research hypothesis. The results of the study are as follows: First, social regard has positive influences on service quality, service satisfaction, and service loyalty. Second, Social regard has more effect on service satisfaction in a high contact beauty services than in a low contact fast-food services. This paper contribute to identify the effects of employees' social regard on service satisfaction, by comparing the effects on service satisfaction between high and low contact services.
Social Regard;Overall Service Quality;Service Satisfaction;Service Loyalty;High and Low Contact Service
- M. Binter, B. Booms, and M. Tetreault, "The Service Encounter: Diagnosing Favorable and Unfavorable Incidents," J. of Marketing, Vol.54, pp.71-84, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252174
- M. Binter, B. Booms, and L. Mohr, "Critical Service Encounter: Critical Service Encounters: The Employee's Viewpoint," J. of Marketing, Vol.58, pp.95-10, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251919
- L. Bettencourt and S. Brown, "Contact Employees: Relationships among Workplace Fairness, Job Satisfaction and Prosocial Service Behaviors," J. of Retailing, Vol.73, No.1, pp.39-61, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(97)90014-2
- J. Barnes, "Closeness, Strength, and Satisfaction: Examining the Nature of Relationships between Providers of Financial Services and their Retail Customers," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.14, No.8, pp.765-790, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6793(199712)14:8<765::AID-MAR3>3.0.CO;2-C
- M. Johnson and G. Zinkhan, "Emotional Reponses to a Professional Service Encounter," J. of Service Marketing, Vol.2, pp.5-15, 1991.
- P. DAbholkar, D. Shepherd, and D. Thorpe, "A Comprehensive Framework for Service Quality: An Investigation of Critical Conceptual and Measurement Issues Thought a Longitudinal Study," J. of Retailing, Vol.76, No.2, pp.139-173, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(00)00029-4
- A. Dubinsky, "What Markets can Learn from the Tin Man," J. of Service Marketing, Vol.8, No.2, pp.36-45, 1994.
- M. Dotson and W. Patton, "Consumer Perceptions of Department Store Service: A Lesson for Retailer," J. of Service Marketing, Vol.6, No.2, pp.15-28, 1992.
- E. Sabiote and S. Roman, "The Influence of Social Regard on the Customer-Service Firm Relationship: The Moderating Role of Length of Relationship," J. of Business Psychology, Vol.24, pp.441-453, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-009-9119-z
- C. H. Lovelock, Service Marketing, Englewood Cliffs:Prentice-Hall, 1984.
- 최철재, "서비스 제공자의 특성이 신뢰와 충성도에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제9호, pp.293-310, 2012.
- J, Brown, "Development of a Taxonomy of Services to Gain Strategic Marketing Insights," J. of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.18, No.1, pp.43-49, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02729761
- K. Butcher, B. Sparks, and F. O'Callaghan, "Beyond Core Service," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.20, No.3, pp.187-208, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.10067
- C. Goodwin and K. Smith, "Courtesy and Friendliness: Conflicting Goals for the Service Provider," J. of Service Marketing, Vol.4, pp.5-20, 1990.
- L. Mohr and M. Binter, "The Role of Employee Effect in Satisfaction with Service Transactions," J. of Business Research, Vol.32, pp.149-177, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(94)00037-F
- M. Dotson and W. Patton, "Consumer Perceptions of Department Store Service: A Lesson for Retailers," J. of Service Marketing, Vol.6, No.2, pp.15-28, 1992.
- G. Bitran and J. Hoech, "The Humanization of Service: Respect at the Moment of Truth," Sloan Management Review, Vol.31, No.2, pp.89-96, 1990.
- J. Mills, "Target Market: Single Professional Businesswomen," Life Assocition News, Vol.87, pp.129-132, 1992.
- R. Oliver, "A Cognitive Model of the Antecedents and Consequences of Satisfaction Decisions," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.17, pp.46-59, 1990.
- C. Gronroos, "Relationship Approach to Marketing in Service Contexts: The Marketing and Organizational Behavior Interface," J. of Business Research, Vol.20, No.1, pp.3-1, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(90)90037-E
- A. Parasuraman, L. Berry, and V. Zeithaml, "Refinement and Reassessment of the SERQUAL Scale," J. of Retailing, Vol.67, No.4, pp.420-450, 1991.
- R. Rust and R. Oliver, Service Quality: New Directions in Theory and Practice, London: Sage, 1994.
- W. Boulding, A. Kalra, R. Stealin, and V. Zeithaml, "A Dynamic Process Model of Service Quality: From Expectations to Behavioral Intentions," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.30, pp.7-27, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172510
- R. Oliver, "Measurement and Evaluation of Satisfaction Process in Retail Settings," J. of Retailing, Vol.57, No.3, pp.25-48, 1981.
- R. Oliver and R. Westbrook, "Profiles of Consumer Emotions and Satisfaction in Ownership and Usage," J. of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, Vol.6, pp.12-27, 1993.
- R. Oliver and W. Desorbo, "Response Determinants in Satisfaction Judgments," J. of Consumer Research, Vol.14, No.4, pp.495-507, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1086/209131
- R. Oliver and R. Rust, "Consumer Delight: Foundations, Findings and Managerial Insight," J. of Retailing, Vol.73, No.3, pp.311-327, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(97)90021-X
- R. Oliver, "A Conceptual Model of Service Quality and Service Satisfaction: Compatible Goals, Different Concepts," In Advances Service Marketing and Management, Vol.2, pp.65-85, 1994.
- A. Caruana and M. Msida, "Service Loyalty: The Effect of Service Quality and The Mediating Role of Customer Satisfaction," European J. of Marketing, Vol.36, No.7, pp.344-356, 2000.
- T. Jones and S. Taylor, "The Nature and Dimensionality of Service Loyalty: How Many Dimensions?," J. of Service Marketing, Vol.27, No.1, pp.36-51, 2007.
- A. Dick and K. Basu, "Customer Loyalty: Toward an Integrated Conceptual Framework," J. of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.22, No.1, pp.99-113, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070394222001
- R. Oliver, "Whence Consumer Loyalty?," J. of Marketing, Vol.63, No.4, pp.33-44, 1999.
- C. Goodwin and K. Smith, "Courtesy and Friendliness: Conflicting Goals for the Service Provider," J. of Service Marketing, Vol.4, pp.5-20, 1980.
- R. Johnston, "The Determinants of Service Quality: Satisfiers and Dissatisfiers," International J. of Service Industry Management, Vol.6, No.5, pp.53-71, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564239510101536
- M. Hartline and O. Ferrell, "The Management of Customer-Context Service Employees: An Empirical Investigation," J. of Marketing, Vol.60, No.4, pp.52-70, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251901
- K. Winsted, "Service Behaviors the Lead to Satisfied Customers," European J. of Marketing, Vol.34, No.3/4, pp.399-417, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560010311920
- J. Chandon, P. Leo and J. Philippe, "Service Encounter Dimensions A Dyadic Perspective: Measuring the Dimensions of Service Encounters as Perceived by Customers and Personnel," International J. of service Industry Management, Vol.8, No.1, pp.65-86, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564239710161088
- K. Ruyter and M. Wetzels, "The Impact of Perceived Listening Behavior in Voice to Voice Service Encounters," J. of Service Research, Vol.2, No.3, pp.276-279, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/109467050023005
- A. Zeithaml and M. Bitner, Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus across the Firm(2nd ed.), Hill:McGraw, 2000.
- J. Ganesh, M. Arnold, and K. Reynold, "Understanding the Customer Base of Service Providers: An Examination of the Differences between Switchers and Stayers," J. of Marketing, Vol.64, pp.65-87, 2000.
- W. Dolen, J. Lemmink, K. Ruyter, and A. Jong, "Customer-sales Employee Encounters: A Dyadic Perspective," J. of Retailing, Vol.78, pp.265-279, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(02)00067-2
- P. Chene, C. Tyhan, and A. Money, "The Service Performance Gap: Testing the Redeveloped Causal Model," European J. of Marketing, Vol.34, No.3/4, pp.472-496, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560010311993
- R. Rust and R. Oliver, "Should We Delight the Customer," J. of Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.28, No.1, pp.86-94, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300281008
- J. Cronin, M. Brady, and G. Hult, "Assessing the Effects of Quality, Value, and Customer Satisfaction on Consumer Behavior Intentions in Service Environments," J. of Retailing, Vol.76, pp.193-218, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(00)00028-2
- J. Cronin and S. Taylor, "Measuring Service Quality: A Reexamination and Extension," J. of Marketing, Vol.56, pp.55-68, 1992.
- S. Streukens and K. Ruyter, "Reconsidering Nonlinearity and Asymmetry in Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty Models: An Empirical Study in Three Retail Service Settings," Marketing Letters, Vol.15, No.2/3, pp.99-111, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:MARK.0000047387.12609.23
- V. Mittal and J. Katrichis, "Distinctions between New and Loyal Customers," Marketing Research, Vol.12, No.1, pp.26-32, 2000.
- J. Alegre and M. Cladera, "Analysing the Effect of Satisfaction and Previous Visits on Tourist Intentions to Return," European J. of Marketing, Vol.43, No.5/6, pp.670-685, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560910946990
- Y. Wang, H. P. Lo, and Y. Yang, "An Integrated Framework for Service Quality," Information Systems Frontiers, Vol.6, No.4, pp.325-340, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:ISFI.0000046375.72726.67
- G. Voss, A. Parasuraman, and D. Grewal, "The Role of Price and Quality Perceptions in Prepurchase and Postpurchase Evaluation of Services," J. of Marketing, Vol.62, pp.46-61, 1998.
- G. Voss, A. Godfrey, and K. Seiders, "How Complementarity and Substitution Alter the Customer Satisfaction-Repurchase Link," J. of Marketing Vol.74, pp.111-127, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.74.6.111
- V. Zeithaml, L. Berry, and A. Parasuraman, "The Behavioral Consequences of Service Quality," J. of Marketing, Vol.60, pp.31-46, 1996.
- P. C. Sun and C. M. Lin, "Building Customer Trust and Loyalty: An Empirical Study in a Retailing Context," The Service Industries Journal, Vol.30, No.9, pp.1439-1455, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642060802621478
- 안우진, 천명환, "사회적 라포와 프랜드십의 관계마케팅 성과에의 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제1호, pp.354-365, 2013.