- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relative Effects of Positive and Negative Reinforcement on the Customer Service Behaviors
정적강화와 부적강화가 고객 서비스 행동에 미치는 상대적 효과
- Received : 2013.10.18
- Accepted : 2014.01.06
- Published : 2014.01.28
This study examined the relative effects of positive and negative reinforcement on customer service behaviors. In addition, we examined whether the intervention would lead to response generalization on non-target behaviors. Five employees at three different convenient stores participated and ABC/ACB within-subject design was adopted. For the three participants, followed by the baseline(A), the positive reinforcement was first introduced(B) and the negative reinforcement(C) was introduced for the next phase. For the remaining two participants, the negative reinforcement(C) was first introduced after baseline(A) and the positive reinforcement (B) was introduced. Results showed a greater improvement in target behaviors under the positive reinforcement condition than that of the negative reinforcement condition. In addition, both reinforcement condition cause response generalization on non-targeted service behaviors, however, the comparable effects was found between two reinforcement conditions. Post-interview indicated that participants experienced positive emotions under positive reinforcement condition and negative emotions under negative reinforcement condition. These results suggest that the he techniques using positive reinforcement can be more effective and efficient to improve the work performance.
Positive reinforcement;Negative reinforcement;Response generalization;Counter-control;Service behavior
- 탁진국, 정성모, "서비스풍토의 선행변인과 결과변인에 관한 연구", 한국심리학회지: 산업 및 조직, 제13권, 제2호, pp.91-101, 2000.
- N. Eikenhout and J. Austin, "Using goals, feedback, reinforcement, and a performance matrix to improve customer service in a large department store," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.25, No.3, pp.27-62, 2005.
- E. Gracia, E. Cifre, and R. Grau, "Service quality: The key role of service climate and service behavior of boundary employee units," Group & Organization Management, Vol.35, No.3, pp.276-298, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601110370783
- S. Loewy and J. Bailey, "The effects of graphic feedback, goal setting, and manager praise on customer service behaviors," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.27, No.3, pp.15-26, 2007.
- 이세호, "골프연습장 고객접점서비스가 서비스질 및 고객만족에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제1호, pp.428-437, 2009.
- 최철재, 박승환, "이동통신사의 서비스품질과 만족 및 서비스충성도 관계에서 감정적 만족과 서비스명성의 인과적 역할", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제6호, pp.344-356, 2009.
- R. I. Sutton and A. Rafaeli, "Untangling the relationship between displayed emotions and organizational sales: The case of convenience stores," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.31, No.3, pp.461-487, 1988. https://doi.org/10.2307/256456
- R. W. Malott, "Notes from introspective behaviorist: Achieving the positive life through negative reinforcement," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.24 No.1/2, pp.75-112, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v24n01_06
- J. Michael, "Positive and negative reinforcement, a distinction that is no longer necessary; or a better way to talk about bad things," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.20, No.1, pp.3-27, 2004.
- A. Rice, J. Austin, and N. Gravina, "Increasing customer service behaviors using manager-delivered task clarification and social praise," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, Vol.42, No.3, pp.665-669, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.2009.42-665
- M. C. Camden, V. A. Price, and T. D. Ludwig, "Reducing absenteeism and rescheduling among grocery store employees with point-contingent rewards," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.31, No.2, pp.140-149, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/01608061.2011.569194
- M. J. Bateman and T. D. Ludwig, "Managing distribution quality through an adapted incentive program with tiered goals and feedback," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.23, No.1, pp.33-55, 2003.
- N. M. Ashkanasy, C. E. J. Hartel, and C. S. Daus, "Diversity and Emotion: The New Frontiers in Organizational Behavior Research," Journal of Management, Vol.28, No.3, pp.307-338, 2002.
- A. C. Daniels and J. E. Daniels, Performance management: Changing behavior that drives organizational effectiveness (4th ed.). Tucker, GA: Performance Management, 2004.
- A. C. Daniels, Bringing out the best in people: How to apply the astonishing power of positive reinforcement. NY: McGraw-Hill., 1994..
- B. A. Iwata, "Negative reinforcement in a applied behavior analysis: An emerging technology," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, Vol.20, No.4, pp.361-378, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.1987.20-361
- S. L. Carter, "A comparison of various forms of reinforcement with and without extinction as treatment for escape-maintained problem behavior," Journal of Applied behavior Analysis, Vol.43, No.3, pp.543-546, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.2010.43-543
- 이재희, 오세진, "안전행동 향상을 위한 칭찬과 처벌의 상대적 효과 비교", 대한안전경영과학회지, 제12권, 제3호, pp.21-26, 2010.
- B. A. Iwata and J. S. Bailey, "Reward versus cost token systems: An analysis of the effects on students and teacher," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, Vol.7, No.4, pp.567-576, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.1974.7-567
- A. Baron, "Avoidance and punishment." In I. H. Iversen & K. A. Lattal(Eds.), Techniques in the behavioral and neural sciences: Vol.6. Experimental analysis of behavior(Part 1, pp.173-217). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- A. F. Costantini and K. L. Hoving, "The effectiveness of reward and punishment contingencies on reponse inhibition," Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, Vol.16, pp.484-494, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0965(73)90009-X
- C. C. Piazza, G. P. Hanley, L. B. Bowman, J. M. Ruyter, S. E. Lindauer, and D. M. Saiontz, "Functional analysis and treatment of elopement," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, Vol.30, No.4, pp.653-672, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.1997.30-653
- T. D. Ludwig and E. S. Geller, "Assigned versus participative goal setting and response generalization: Managing injury control among professional pizza deliverers," Journal of Applied psychology, Vol.82, No.2, pp.252-256, 1997.
- L. K. Miller, "Avoiding the countercontrol of applied behavior analysis," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, Vol.24, No.4, pp.645-647, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.1991.24-645
- B. F. Skinner, Science and human behavior. New York: Macmillan, 1953.
- T. D. Ludwig and E. S. Geller, "Intervening to improve the safety of delivery drivers: A systematic behavioral approach," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.19, No.4, pp.1-124, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v19n04_01
- K. F. Winsted, "Service behaviors that lead to satisfied customers," European Journal of Marketing, Vol.34, No.3/4, pp.399-417, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560010311920
- A. E. Kazdin, Single-case research designs: Methods for clinical and applied settings, New York: Oxford University Press, 1982.