- Volume 7 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Aerodynamic Noise at Inter-coach Space of High Speed Trains
- Kim, Tae-Min (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Hongik University) ;
- Kim, Jung-Soo (Department of Mechanical and System Design Engineering, Hongik University)
- Published : 2014.12.31
A numerical analysis method for predicting aerodynamic noise at inter-coach space of high-speed trains, validated by wind-tunnel experiments for limited speed range, is proposed. The wind-tunnel testing measurements of the train aerodynamic sound pressure level for the new generation Korean high-speed train have suggested that the inter-coach space aerodynamic noise varies approximately to the 7.7th power of the train speed. The observed high sensitivity serves as a motivation for the present investigation on elucidating the characteristics of noise emission at inter-coach space. As train speed increases, the effect of turbulent flows and vortex shedding is amplified, with concomitant increase in the aerodynamic noise. The turbulent flow field analysis demonstrates that vortex formation indeed causes generation of aerodynamic sound. For validation, numerical simulation and wind tunnel measurements are performed under identical conditions. The results show close correlation between the numerically derived and measured values, and with some adjustment, the results are found to be in good agreement. Thus validated, the numerical analysis procedure is applied to predict the aerodynamic noise level at inter-coach space. As the train gains speed, numerical simulation predicts increase in the overall aerodynamic sound emission level accompanied by an upward shift in the main frequency components of the sound. A contour mapping of the aerodynamic sound for the region enclosing the inter-coach space is presented.
Grant : Development of Biomimetic Design Methodology
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- D. Rocchi and A, Zasso (2002). "Vortex shedding from a circular cylinder in a smooth and wired configuration: comparison between 3D LES simulation and experimental analysis", Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol. 90, pp. 475-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00203-3
- Choi, S. H., Park, C. S., Park, J. H. and Kim, S. S. (2007). "Experimental Investigation of Noise Generation from the Inter-coach Spacing of a High-speed Train", Transactions of the Korean Society for Railway. Vol.10, No.6, pp.786-791.
- Seo, S. I., Choi, S. H. and Chung, I. S. (2006). "A Study on the Effect of Mud-flap on the Cabin Noise in KTX", Transactions of the Korean Society for Railway. Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 550-554.
- Han, J. H., Kim, T. M., and Kim, J. S. (2011). "The Effect of Scaling of Owl's Flight on Aerodynamic Noise at Intercoach Space of High Speed Trains Based on Biomimetic Analogy", International Journal of Railway, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 109-115.
- Choi, S. H., Park, C. S., Park, J. H. and Kim, S. S. (2007). "Experimental Investigation of Noise Generation from the Inter-coach Spacing of a High-speed Train", Transactions of the Korean Society for Railway. Vol. 10, No. 6, pp.786-791.
- Holmes, B. S., Dias, J., Jaroux, B. A., Sassa, T., and Ban, Y. (1997). "Predicting the wind noise from the pantograph cover of a train", International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluid, Vol. 24, Issue.12, pp. 1307-1319. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0363(199706)24:12<1307::AID-FLD561>3.0.CO;2-8
- Kurita, T., Hara, M., Yamada, H., Wakabyashi, Yuusuke (2009). "Reduction of Pantograph Noise of High-Speed Trains", Journal of Mechanical systems for Transportation and Logistics, Vol. 3, Issue. 1, pp. 63-74.
- B. M Brooks (1993). "Aerodynamic Noise of High Speed Ground Vehicle", ASA 125th Meeting, Ottawa, Canada, May Vol. 18, 1993.
- Han, J. H., Kim, T. M., Kim, J. T., and Kim, J. S. (2011). "Prediction of Aerodynamic noise of Pantograph on a highspeed train using the Acoustic Analogy", Proceedings of the Korean Society for Railway Annual Fall Conference, pp. 150-157.
- Park, K. Y., Park, J. H., Song, S. M., Kim, T. H., Lee, T. J. and Choi, S. H. (2006). "Wind tunnel tests for analyzing noise generation from the inter-coach spacing of a highspeed train", Proceedings of the KSNVE Annual Fall Conference, pp. 65-68.
- Han, J. H. and Kim, J. S. (2011). "An Aerodynamic Noise Reduction Design at Inter-coach Space of High Speed Trains Based on Biomimetic Analogy", International Journal of Railway, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 74-79. https://doi.org/10.7782/IJR.2011.4.3.074
- Kang, S. M. (2000). "On Subgrid-Scale Models for Large- Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Flows", Transactions of the KSME B, Vol. 24, No.11, pp.1523-1534.