- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Assessing of Franchisor's Firm Performance Based on Data Envelopment Analysis
DEA 분석을 통한 프랜차이즈 기업의 평가
- Kim, Seonmin (Dept. of Business Administration, Seoultech)
- 김선민 (서울과학기술대학교 글로벌경영학과)
- Received : 2014.10.20
- Accepted : 2014.12.23
- Published : 2014.12.31
Due to the severe market conditions, pre-entrepreneur seeks to start their business through franchise company. This paper, using the data envelopment analysis(DEA) method, examines efficiency of a group of franchise company in order to provide efficiency information with pre-entrepreneur. Output-oriented DEA model is applied in the investigation of efficiency, and the overall efficiency score is decomposed into pure technical efficiency and scale efficiency. The input variables selected to evaluate the efficiency are franchise deposit, franchise contribution cost and the output variables are sales and number of franchises, and length of business. The results of this paper show franchise industry have the low level of overall efficiency and the main sources of inefficiency is found technical rather than scale. As a result, this paper provides not only the current status of efficiency information of a franchise with pre-entrepreneur but also give warning when they sign-up with franchise business.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- James A. Fizsimmons, Mona J. Fitzsimmons, Sanjeev K. Bordoloi (2014), Service Management; Operations, Strategy, Information Technology 8th ed. (New York; McGraw-Hill,).
- Erwin J. Keup (2004), Franchise bible: How to buy a franchise or franchise your own business. 5th ed. (Entrepreneur Press, Canada):61.
- Young-Ae Seo and Jeong-Ki, Na (2006), "Measuring Efficiency of Korean Franchise Restaurant Business: Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Tourism sciences, Vol. 30, No. 1, 295-315.
- Kim, Soon-Jin, Yoon, Ji-Hwan, and Choi, Kyu-Wan (2006), "Efficiency Analysis for Brand of Franchise Restaurant and Franchisees: by Applying Data Envelopment Analysis(DEA)," Journal of Tourism sciences, Vol. 30, No. 5, 197-217.
- Naveen Donthu and Boonghee Yoo (1998), "Retail Productivity assesment: Using data envelopment analysis." Journal of Retailing, 74 no.1, 9-105.
- Dennis Reynolds(2004), "An exploratory investigation of multiunit productivity assessment using data envelopment analysis," Journal of Travel &Tourism Making, 16 no. 2-3, 19-26.
- Charnes, A., W.W. Cooper and E. Rhodes (1978), "Measuring the efficiency of decision-making units," European Journal of Operations Research, 2, 429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- Banker, R. D., Charnes, A. and Cooper, W. W.(1984), "Some models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, 30 no.9, 1078-1092. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.30.9.1078