- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Development and Application of Instructional Strategy for Science Writing using Newspaper Articles
신문기사를 활용한 과학글쓰기 수업 전략의 개발과 적용
- Lee, Chi-Yun (Docheok Elementary School) ;
- Park, Jae-Keun (Gyeongin National University of Education)
- Received : 2014.09.30
- Accepted : 2014.11.21
- Published : 2014.11.30
The purpose of this study was to develop instructional strategy for newspaper-based science writing and to examine the effect of its application. The target unit was 'change of weather' and 'a variety of gas' in the sixth grade of elementary school, and the teaching strategy was composed of 3 stages-writing including realistic, interpretative and comprehensive writing. The result of applying this strategy into actual classrooms was as follows. First, it was proven that the science writing strategy using newspaper articles actually helped improving science process skills of learners, in particular, integrated process skills. Second, this strategy for science writing changed the scientific attitude of learners positively. While they read the newspaper articles, their thinking became more elaborate and systemized, which seemed to serve to foster their openness, criticism, and perseverance. Third, the science writing strategy did not contribute to the improvement of learners' science study achievement. To improve the understanding of scientific concepts and principles of learners, it is needed that teaching program combines with argument-based activity organically. The above-mentioned findings show that this instructional strategy using newspaper articles can be applicable as one of effective methods in science writing.
- Anderson, T., Howe, C., Soden, R., Halliday, J. & Low, J. (2001). Peer interaction and the learning of critical thinking skills in further education students. Instructional Science, 29, 1-32. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026471702353
- Bae, H., Jhun, Y. & Hong, J. (2009). The development of teaching and learning strategy for improving science process skills with science writing. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 28(2), 178-186.
- Bang, B. S. (2000). The study of teaching method for an explanative writing through using NIE. Master's Thesis, Seoul National University of Education.
- Cheon, J. (2006) Science writing activities for developing scientific thinking. Master's Thesis, Gyeongsang National University.
- Choi, S. H. (2003). Understanding and using for NIE. Seoul: Communication Books.
- Clark, D. B. & Sampson, V. (2008). Assessing dialogic argumentation in online environments to relate structure, grounds, and conceptual quality. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 45(3), 293-321. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20216
- DeRoche, E. F. (1991). The newspaper-A reference book for teachers and librarians. ABC CLIO.
- Emig, J. (1977). Writing as a model of learning. College Composition and Communication, 28(2), 122-128. https://doi.org/10.2307/356095
- Gunel, M., Hand, B. & McDermott, M. A. (2009). Writing for different audiences: Effects on high-school students' conceptual understanding of biology. Learning and Instruction, 19(4), 354-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2008.07.001
- Ham, S. M. (2009). The effects of science writing programs on middle school students' learning motivation and attitudes to science. Master's Thesis, Korea National University of Education.
- Hand, B. & Keys, C. (1999). Inquiry investigation: A new approach to laboratory reports. The Science Teacher, 66(4), 27-29.
- Hand, B., Prain, V., Lawrence, C. & Yore, L. (1999). A writing in science framework designed to enhance science literacy. International Journal of Science Education, 21(10), 1021-1035. https://doi.org/10.1080/095006999290165
- Hwang, S. K. (2013). A study for the interdisciplinary access in the education of science writing. Korean Journal of General Education, 7(2), 399-427.
- Jeong, H., Jeong, Y. & Song, J. (2004). An analysis of writing by 11th grade students on the theme of light according to the type of task. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 24(5), 1008-1017.
- Kang, S., Kwak, K. & Nam, J. (2006). The effects of argumentation-based teaching and learning strategy on cognitive development, science concept understanding, science-related attitude, and argumentation in middle school science. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 26(3), 450-461.
- Kim, H., Byeon, J. & Kwon, Y. (2012). The effect of class based on creative science writing for the interest in biology and the scientific attitude. Journal of Science Education, 36(2), 198-215. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2012.36.2.198
- Kim, H., Jeong, W. & Jeong, J.(1998). National assessment system development of science-related affective domain. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 18(3), 357-369.
- Kim, K. E. (2012). An analysis of the influence of NIE upon the self-directed learning ability of middle school students. Journal of Research in Curriculum Instruction, 16(3), 771-797. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2012.16.3.771
- Klein, P. D. (1999). Reopening inquiry into cognitive precesses in writing-to-learn. Educational Psychology Review, 11(3), 203-270. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021913217147
- Koo, S. & Park, I. (2010). Development of science writing teaching strategy and its application to elementary science classes. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 29(4), 427-440.
- Kwak, M., Lee, Y. & Han, Y.(2009). The effect on academic achievement and science-related affective domain of elementary students through science journal writing. Journal of the Korean Society of Earth Science Education, 2(1), 1-12.
- Kwon, J. & Kim, B. (1994). The development of an instrument for the measurement of science process skills of the Korean elementary and middle school students. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 14(3), 251-264.
- Kwon, J. & Nam, J. (2013). A study on the change of the beginning science teachers' beliefs about a lesson and teaching practice in argument-based inquiry using science writing. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 33(7), 1329-1342. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.7.1329
- Lee, J. S. (2002). Principles and methods of writing education (Process-oriented approach) [글쓰기 교육의 원리와 방법(과정 중심 접근)]. Seoul: Kyo-yuk-gwa-hak-sa.
- Lee, J. & Jeong, E. (2013). The effect of science writing activities on high school students' scientific thinking ability in life science I class. Journal of Science Education, 37(3), 476-491. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2013.37.3.476
- Lee, N. E. (2009). Analyzing the process of the conceptual change by application of science writing program. Master's Thesis, Korea National University of Education.
- Lee, S., Kim, E. & Chang, H.(2011). The effects of Science Writing Heuristic (SWH) instruction on elementary school students' science process skills and scientific attitude. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 30(4), 589-600.
- Lee, Y. & Lee, S. (2010). Effects of the environmental writing educational program through NIE on elementary school students' environmental literacy. Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, 16(4), 125-146. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2010.16.4.125
- Lemke, J. (1990). Talking science: Language, learning and values. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2010). Science 3-1: Guidebook for teacher. Seoul: Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2011). Science education curriculum. Notification No. 2011-361. Seoul: Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology.
- Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology (2009). Science education curriculum. Notification No. 2009-41. Seoul: Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology.
- Moon, M. & Shin, A.(2012). The effects of science writing on cognitive-affective aspects of elementary school students. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 31(4), 413-423.
- Nam, J., Kwak, K., Jang, K. & Hand, B. (2008). The implementation of argumentation using Science Writing Heuristic (SWH) in middle school science. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 28(8), 922-936.
- Nam, K. W., Lee, B. W. & Lee, S. M. (2004). The effect of science journal writing on the science-related affective domain of scientifically gifted students at middle school level. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 24(6), 1272-1282.
- Norris, S. P. & Phillips, L. M. (2003). How literacy in its fundamental sense is central to scientific literacy. Science Education, 87(2), 224-240. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10066
- Olson, M. (1985). Using the newspaper to teach social studies. NJ: Dale Seymour Publications.
- Owens, C. V. (2000). Teachers' responses to science writing. Teaching and Learning -grand forks-, 15(1), 22-35.
- Park, E. (2007). Development and implementation of science writing program for better science teaching and learning. Master's Thesis, Seoul National University of Education.
- Park, H. & Kwon, N. (2008). The patterns and the effects of science journal writing of elementary school students. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 28(6), 519-526.
- Prain, V. & Hand, B. (1996). Writing for learning in secondary science : Rethinking practices. Teaching and Teacher Education, 12(6), 609-626. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(96)00003-0
- Prain, V. (2006). Learning from writing in secondary science: Some theoretical and practical implication. International Journal of Science Education, 28(2), 179-201. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690500336643
- Rivard, L. P. (1994). A review of writing to learn in science: Implication for practice and research. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 31(9), 969-983. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660310910
- Seo, C. B. (2006). The 4th graders' science process skills and science-related affective characteristics change by science educational environments. Master's Thesis, Korea National University of Education.
- Shin, J. & Choi, A. (2014). Trends in research studies on scientific argument and writing in Korea. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 34(2), 107-122. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.2.0107
- Shin, J., Shin, Y., Yoon, H. & Woo, A.(2013). The effects of science writing on middle school students' sciencerelated attitude, learning motivation, and academic achievement. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 33(2), 511-521. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.2.511
- Shin, Y., Hwang, H. & Park, H.(2009). Effect of the scientific writing through logical thinking development on science inquiry process skills and scientific attitude of elementary school students. Biology Education, 37(1), 151-161. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2009.37.1.151
- Son, J., Jeoung, J., Paik, S. & Chun, J. (2012). Development and application of a letter type rubric for guideline in science writing of elementary school students. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 31(1), 25-39.
- Song, Y., Yang, I., Kim, J. & Choi, H. (2011). A study of the elementary school teachers' perception of science writing. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 31(5), 788-800.
- Wellington, J. & Osborne, J. (2001). Language and literacy in science education. Buckingham.: Open University Press.
- Yore, L., Florence, M., Pearson, T. & Weaver, A. (2006). Written discourse in scientific communities: A conversation with two scientists about their views of science, use of language, role of writing in doing science, and compatibility between their epistemic views and language. International Journal of Science Education, 28(2), 109-141. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690500336601
- Yu, K. M. (2004). Study on the teaching method of creative writing through using NIE. Master's Thesis. Seoul National University of Education.
- The Effect of Science Teaching and Learning Methods from the Perspectives of the Science-Related Attitude vol.34, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2015.34.3.297