- Volume 28 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
An Analysis on the Causal Relation Among SMP, Base-Load Share, LNG Import Price, and Exchange Rate
전력계통한계가격(SMP)과 기저발전비율, LNG도입가격, 환율 간 인과관계 분석
- Received : 2014.05.19
- Accepted : 2014.05.13
- Published : 2014.07.31
This article examines the causality relationship among SMP, base-load share, LNG import price, and exchange rate in Korean power market during 2002~2012, using unit root test, cointegration test, and vector error correction model(VECM). The cointegration test shows that 4 variables without unit root have been in the long-run causality. As the results of ECM, SMP is analyzed to have been unilaterally caused from LNG import price and base-load share in the shot-run, while it has been unilaterally caused from LNG import price and exchange rate in the long-run. This article has the following policy implications: the adjustment of exchange rate to reduce he risk of LNG import price and the proper securement of base-load share for the long-run stability of SMP.
Causality;SMP;Base-load Share;LNG Import Price;Exchange Rate;VECM
- KOREA Power Exchange Home Page http://www.kpx.or.kr/KOREAN/servlet/MIController
- KOREA Energy Economics Institute Home Page http://www.keei.re.kr/main.nsf/index.html
- KOREA Electric Power CO Home Page http://www.keei.re.kr/main.nsf/index.html
- K.H. Park, J.K. Kim, Sectoral Energy Consumption and Economic Growth in Korea, Korean Energy Economic Review Volume 12, Number 2, September 2013, 59-83.
- H.J. Lee, Empirical Analysis on the Short and Long Run Effects between Electricity Consumption and Economic Development in Korea: Result from Cointegration Methodology', Korean Industrial Economic Research VOL 26 NO.6 (2013), 2605-2619.
- J. H. Jo, M. O, Kang, Environmental and Resource Economics Review Volume 21, Number 3, September (2012), 573-593.
- Mohammadi, H., Electricity prices and fuel costs: long-run relations and shortrun dynamics. Energy Economics 31 (3), (2009),503-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2009.02.001
- M. Pilar Munoz, David, Are electricity prices affected by the US dollar to Euro exchange rate? The Spanish case A Dickey Energy Economics 31 (2009) 857-866.
- Dolores Furio a, Helena Chulia, Price and volatility dynamics between electricity and fuel costs: Some evidence for Spain, Energy Economics 34 (2012) 2058-2065. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2012.02.014
- Engle, R.F, Granger, C.W.J., Co-integration and error correction Representation, estimation and testing Econometrica 551-987.
- Johansen, S., Estimation and hypothesis testing of cointegration vectors in Gaussian vectors autoregressive models. Econometrica 59 (6), (1991) 1551-1580. https://doi.org/10.2307/2938278
- Stock, J. H. and M. W. Watson, "Testing for Common Trends," Journal of the American statistical Association, Vol. 83, 1988.
- Yeoungjin Chae, Myunghwan Kim, Seung-Hoon, Does natural gas fuel price cause system marginal price, vice-versa, or neither? A causality analysis, Energy 47 (2012), 199-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2012.09.047
- Tadahiro Nakajima, Shigeyuki Hamori, Causality-in-mean and causality-in-variance among electricity prices, crude oil prices, and yen-US dollar exchange rates in Japan Research in International Business and Finance 26 (2012) 371-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2012.03.001
- EVIEWS MANUAL, 2007.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교