- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Mode II and Mixed Mode Fracture of Single Layer Graphene Sheet
단층 그래핀시트의 모드 II 및 혼합모드 파괴
- Nguyen, Minh-Ky (School of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan) ;
- Yum, Young-Jin (School of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan)
- Received : 2013.05.06
- Accepted : 2013.12.09
- Published : 2014.02.01
The mode II fracture behavior of a single-layer graphene sheet (SLGS) containing a center crack was characterized with the results of an atomistic simulation and an analytical model. The fracture of zigzag graphene models was analyzed with molecular dynamics and the mode II fracture toughness was found to be
Fracture of Grapheme;Mode II Fracture Toughness;Mixed Mode Fracture
- Zhu, T., Li, J., Ogata, Shigenobu and Yip, S., 2009, "Mechanics of Ultra-Strength Materials," Materials Research Society Bulletin, 34, pp.167-172. https://doi.org/10.1557/mrs2009.47
- Gibson, L.-J. and Ashby, M.-F., 1997, "Cellular Solids: Structure and Properties," Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2nd ed.
- Maiti, S.-K., Ashby, M.-F. and Gibson, L.-J., 1984, "Fracture Toughness of Brittle Cellular Solids" Scripta Metall., 18, pp. 213-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/0036-9748(84)90510-6
- Thiyagasundaram P., Wang, J., Sankar B. V. and Arakere N. K., 2011, "Fracture Toughness of Foams with Tetrakaidecahedral Unit Cells Using Finite Element Based Micromechanics," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 78, pp. 1277-1288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2011.01.003
- Choi, S and Sankar, B.-V, 2003, "Fracture Toughness of Carbon Foam," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 37, No. 23, pp. 2101-2116. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199803036264
- Jin, Y. and Yuan, F.-G, 2005, "Nanoscopic Modeling of Fracture of 2D Graphene Systems," Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 5, pp. 601-608. https://doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2005.071
- Yanovsky, Yu.G., Nikitina, E.A., Karnet, Yu.N. and Nikitin, S.M., 2009, "Quantum Mechanics Study of the Mechanism of Deformation and Fracture of Grapheme," Physical Mesomechanics, Vol. 12, Issues 5-6, pp. 254-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physme.2009.12.007
- Udupa, A. and Martini, A., 2011, "Model Predictions of Shear Strain-Induced Ridge Defects in Grapheme," Carbon 49, pp. 3571-3578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2011.04.057
- Niaki, S.-A., Mianroodi, J.-R., Sadeghi M. and Naghdabadi, R., 2012, "Dynamic and Static Fracture Analyses of Graphene Sheets and Carbon Nanotubes," Composite Structures, 94, pp. 2365-2372. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2012.02.027
- Wen, H.-D., Gong, K. and Wang, Q., 2011, "Controlling the Formation of Wrinkles in a Single Layer Graphene Sheet Subjected to In-Plane Shear," Carbon 49, pp. 3107-3112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2011.03.033
- Tsai, J.-L, Tzeng, S.-H. and Tzou, Y.-J., 2010, "Characterizing the Fracture Parameters of a Grapheme Sheet Using Atomistic Simulation and Continuum Mechanics," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 47, Issues 3-4, pp. 503-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2009.10.017
- Stuart, S.-J, Tutein, A.-B. and Harrison, J.-A., 2000, "A Reactive Potential for Hydrocarbons with Intermolecular Interactions," J. Chem Phys. Vol. 112, Issue 14, pp. 6472-6486. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.481208
- Plimpton, S.-J., 1995, "Fast Parallel Algorithms for Short-Range Molecular Dynamics," J. Comp. Phys. 117, pp. 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1995.1039
- Anderson, T.-L., 1995, "Fracture Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications," CRC Press.
- Steven, C and Buehler, M.-J., 2011, "Twisted and Coiled Ultralong Multilayer Graphene Ribbons," Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng, 19, 054003, p. 20.
- Qi, Z., Zhao, F., Zhou X., Sun, Z., Park, H.-S and Wu, H., 2010, "A Molecular Simulation Analysis of Producing Monatomic Carbon Chains by Stretching Ultra Narrow Graphene Nanoribbons," Nanotechnology, 21, 265702. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/21/26/265702
- Scarpa, F., Adhikari, S. and Phani A.-S., 2009, "Effective Elastic Mechanical Properties of Single Layer Graphene Sheets," Nanotechnology, 20, 065709. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/20/6/065709
- Liu, F., Ming, P. and Li, J., 2007, "Ab Initio Calculation of Ideal Strength and Phonon Instability of Graphene Under Tension," Physical Review B, 76, 064120. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.76.064120
- ANSYS User's Manual, Version 12.1, 2009 (ANSYS Software Inc.).
- Huang, J.-S. and Gibson, L.-J, 1991, "Fracture Toughness of Brittle Honeycombs," Acta Metallurgica et Materialia, 39, pp. 1627-1636. https://doi.org/10.1016/0956-7151(91)90250-5
Shi, W., Mu, G. and Li, H., 2008, "Relationship Between the Stress Intensity Factors and Bond
$\sigma$in Graphene Sheet," Int J Fract, 149, pp. 105-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10704-008-9237-z
- Bin Zhang, Mei L., and Xiao H., 2012, "Nanofracture in Graphene Under Complex Mechanical Stresses," Applied Physics Letters, 101, 121915. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4754115
- Banks, S.-L., Arcan, M. and Bortman, Y., 1984, "A Mixed Mode Fracture Specimen for Mode II Dominant Deformation," Engng Fract Mech, 20(1), pp. 145-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(84)90122-X
- Banks, S.-L. and Arcan, M., 1986, "A Compact Mode II Fracture Specimen, Fracture Mechanics," ASTM STP, 905, Vol. 17, pp. 347-363.
- Shim, J.R., Lee, Y.S., Kim, D.H., Beom, H.G. and Kang, K.J., 2002, "Measurement of Fracture Toughness Jc Under Mixed Mode Loading Using Unloading Compliance Method," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 113-120. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2002.26.1.113
- Yum, Y.J. and You, H., 1999, "Strain Energy Release Rate of Carbon/Epoxy Composite Material under Mixed Mode Delamination," The Journal of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 66-74.
- Spencer, B. and Barnby, J.T., 1976, "The Effects of Notch and Fibre Angles on Crack Propagation in Fibre-Reinforced Polymers," Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 11, Issue 1, pp.83-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00541078