- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Wi-Fi-Based Low-Complexity Floor Number Determination Method Based for Multistory Buildings
다층 건물을 위한 Wi-Fi 기반의 저 복잡도 층간 위치 측위 기법
- Shi, Jian (School of Electronic Engineering, Soongsil Univ.) ;
- Li, Xiang (School of Electronic Engineering, Soongsil Univ.) ;
- Jung, Honggyu (School of Electronic Engineering, Soongsil Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jinoh (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Soongsil Univ.) ;
- Shin, Yoan (School of Electronic Engineering, Soongsil Univ.)
- 석건 (숭실대학교 정보통신공학부) ;
- 리향 (숭실대학교 정보통신공학부) ;
- 정홍규 (숭실대학교 정보통신공학부) ;
- 김진오 (숭실대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 신요안 (숭실대학교 정보통신공학부)
- Received : 2013.09.03
- Accepted : 2013.11.27
- Published : 2014.02.01
Floor number determination has attracted considerable attention because many applications require accurate floor number information for providing better localization services in multistory buildings. This paper describes a Wi-Fi-based, low-complexity floor number determination method for multistory buildings. In our scheme, with the exception of floor ID and received signal strength of each WAP, detailed information on the wireless access point (WAP) coordinates is not needed. The multi-wall-floor model is used for the simulation and analysis. The simulation results show that the floor determination accuracy is nearly 100 given an adequate deployment density of WAPs on each floor. The results also show that the proposed method provides a good estimate of floor number even when only a few WAPs are implemented on each floor. Specifically, the proposed method can work under extreme conditions, i.e., where there are no WAPs on a floor.
Floor Number Determination;Wi-Fi;Wireless Access Point;Indoor Positioning;Received Signal Strength
Supported by : 정보통신산업진흥원, 미래창조과학부
- Perry, T. S., 2012, "Navigating the great indoors," IEEE Spectrum, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 15. https://doi.org/10.1109/MSPEC.2012.6281117
- Alsehly, F., Arslan, T., Sevak, Z. and King, M., 2011, "Indoor Positioning with Floor Determination in Multi Story Building," Proc. IPIN 2011, Guimaraes, Portugal, pp. 1-7.
- Liu, H. H. and Yang, Y. N., 2011, "Wi-Fi-Based Indoor Positioning for Multi-Floor Environment," Proc. IEEE TENCON 2011, Bali, Indonesia, pp. 597-601.
- Al-Ahmadi, A. S., Omer, A. I., Kamarudin, M. R. and Rahman, T. A., 2010, "Multi-Floor Indoor Positioning System Using Bayesian Graphical Models," Progress in Electromag. Research B, vol. 25, pp. 241-259. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERB10081202
- Wang, H. Y., Zheng, V. W., Zhao, J. H. and Yang, Q., 2010, "Indoor Localization in Multi-Floor Environments with Reduced Effort," Proc. IEEE PerCom 2010, Mannheim, Germany, pp. 244-252.
- Gansemer, S., Gropmann, U., and Hakobyan, S., 2010, "RSSI-based Euclidean Distance Algorithm for Indoor Positioning Adapted for the Use in Dynamically Changing WLAN Environment and Multi-Level Building," Proc. IPIN 2010, Zurich, Switzerland, pp. 1-6.
- Lott, M. and Forkel, I., 2001, "A Multi-Wall-and- Floor Model for Indoor Radio Propagation," Proc. IEEE VTC 2001-Spring, Rhodes, Greece, pp. 464-468.
- Chrysikos, T., Georgopoulos, G. and Kotsopoulos, S., 2011, "Wireless Channel Characterization for a Home Indoor Propagation Topology at 2.4 GHz," Proc. WTS 2011, New York City, USA, pp. 1-10.
- Chrysikos, T., Georgopoulos, G. and Kotsopoulos, S., 2010, "Impact of Shadowing on Wireless Channel Characterization for Public Indoor Commercial Topology at 2.4GHz," Proc. ICUMT 2010, Moscow, Russia, pp. 281-286.
- Koo, J. and Cha, H., 2011, "Localizing WiFi Access Points Using Signal Strength," IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 187-189. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2011.121410.101379
- Lima, A. and Menezes, L., 2005, "Motley-Keenan Model Adjusted to the Thickness of the Wall," Proc. SBMO/IEEE MTT-S MOC 2005, Brasilia, Brazil, pp. 180-182.
- Brida, P., Benikovsky, J. and Machaj, J., 2011, "Performance Investigation of Wi-Fi LOC Positioning System," Proc. TSP 2011, Budapest, Hungary, pp. 203-207.
- Benikovsky, J., Brida, P. and Machaj, J., 2012, "Proposal of User Adaptive Modular Localization System for Ubiquitous Positioning," Proc. ACIIDS 2012, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, pp. 391-400.
- Brinkley, M., 2010, "Floor Structure Guide," Homebuilding & Renovating.