- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Derivation of Elastic Stress Concentration Factor Equations for Debris Fretting Flaws in Pressure Tubes of Pressurized Heavy Water Reactors
가압중수로 압력관 이물질 프레팅 결함의 탄성 응력집중계수 수식 도출
- Kim, Jong Sung (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sunchon Nat'l Univ.,) ;
- Oh, Young Jin (KEPCO E&C, Co.)
- Received : 2013.09.14
- Accepted : 2013.12.03
- Published : 2014.02.01
If volumetric flaws such as bearing pad fretting flaws and debris fretting flaws are detected in the pressure tubes of pressurized heavy water reactors during in-service inspection, the initiation of fatigue cracks and delayed hydrogen cracking from the detected volumetric flaws shall be assessed by using elastic stress concentration factors in accordance with CSA N285.8-05. The CSA N285.8-05 presents only an approximate formula based on linear elastic fracture mechanics for the debris fretting flaw. In this study, an engineering formula considering the geometric characteristics of the debris fretting flaw in detail was derived using two-dimensional finite element analysis and Kinectrics, Inc.'s engineering procedure with slight modifications. Comparing the application results obtained using the derived formula with the three-dimensional finite element analysis results, it is found that the results obtained using the derived formula agree well with the results of the finite element analysis.
Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor;Pressure Tube;Debris Fretting Flaw;Elastic Stress Concentration Factor;Finite Element Analysis
- AECL EACL, 1996, Technical Basis for the Fitness for Service Guidelines for Zirconium Alloy Pressure Tubes in Operating CANDU Reactor, COG-96-651, Rev.0.
- CSA, 2005, Technical Requirements for In-Service Evaluation of Zirconium Alloy Pressure Tubes in CANDU Reactors, N285.8-05..
- Wasiluk, B.S. and Scarth, D.A., 2009, "Engineering Procedure for Calculation of Elastic Stress Concentration Factors of Bearing Pad Fretting Flaws," Proceedings of ASME PVP 2009, PVP2009-77271.
- Peterson, R.E., 1974, Stress Concentration Factors, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Son, B.G., Kim, Y.J., and Kim. Y.J., 2004, "Finite Element Based Stress Concentration Factors for Pipes with Local Wall Thinning," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol.28, No.7, pp.1014-1020. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2004.28.7.1014
- Gao, X.L, 1996, "A General Solution of an Infinite Elastic Plate with an Elliptic Hole under Biaxial Loading," Int. J. of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol.67, pp.95-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-0161(94)00173-1
- Dufresne, J., 1981, Probabilistic Application of Fracture Mechanics in Advances in Fracture Research (Fracture 81), Vol.2, Oxford: Pergamon Press, pp.517-531.
- Murakami, Y., 2005, Introduction to Stress Concentration, YoKendo.
- Simulia, 2012, ABAQUS User's Manuals, Ver.6.10.