- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Investigation into Variations of Welding Residual Stresses and Redistribution Behaviors for Different Repair Welding Widths
보수용접부 폭에 따른 용접잔류응력의 변화 및 재분배 거동 평가
- Park, Chi-Yong (Central Research Institute, Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Corporation) ;
- Lee, Hwee-Sueng (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Huh, Nam-Su (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2013.09.22
- Accepted : 2013.12.18
- Published : 2014.02.01
In this study, we investigated the variations in welding residual stresses in dissimilar metal butt weld due to width of repair welding and re-distribution behaviors resulting from similar metal welding (SMW) and mechanical loading. To this end, detailed two-dimensional axi-symmetric finite element (FE) analyses were performed considering five different repair welding widths. Based on the FE results, we first evaluated the welding residual stress distributions in repair welding. We then investigated the re-distribution behaviors of the residual stresses due to SMW and mechanical loads. It is revealed that large tensile welding residual stresses take place in the inner surface and that its distribution is affected, provided repair welding width is larger than certain value. The welding residual stresses resulting from repair welding are remarkably reduced due to SMW and mechanical loading, regardless of the width of the repair welding.
Dissimilar Metal Butt Weld;Finite Element Analysis;Repair Welding;Welding Residual Stress
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- EPRI, Materials Reliability Program, 2004, "Welding Residual and Operating Stresses in PWR Alloy 182 Butt Welds (MRP-106)," EPRI report.
- Kim, J.S., Lee, S.G., Park, H.B., Jin, T.E. and Kang, S.S., 2009, "Investigation of the Effect of Internal Repair Welding Variables on PWSCC of Dissimilar Welds on Pressurizer Safety/Relief Nozzle," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 58, pp. 270-275.
- Lee, S.G., Jin, T.E., Kang, S.S. and Kwon, D.I., 2009, "Residual Stress Analysis for Repair Welding in Dissimilar Metal Weld," Journal of KWJS, Vol. 27, pp. 376-381.
- Dong, P., Hong, J.K. and Bouchard, P.J., 2005, "Analysis of Residual Stresses at Weld Repairs," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 82, pp. 258-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2004.08.004
- Elcoate, C.D., Dennis, R.J., Bouchard, P.J. and Smith, M.C., 2005, "Three Dimensional Multi-Pass Repair Weld Simulations," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 82, pp. 244-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2004.08.003
- Zhang, J., Song, S. and Dong, P., 2011, "Important Residual Stress Features in Reactor Nozzle Dissimilar Metal Welds," ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, PVP2011-57824.
- Soh, N.H., Oh, G.J., Huh, N.S., Lee, S.H., Park, H.B., Lee, S.G., Kim, J.S. and Kim, Y.J., 2012, "Effects of Finite Element Analysis Parameters on Weld Residual Stress of Dissimilar Metal Weld in Nuclear Reactor Piping Nozzles," Trans. of the KPVP, Vol. 8, pp. 8-18.
- "ABAQUS/Standard User's Manual," Version 6.11-1, Dassault Systemes Corp., 2011.
- Kim, J.S., Kim, J.H., Bae, H.Y., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Song, T.K., 2012, "Welding Residual Stress Distributions for Dissimilar Metal Nozzle Butt Welds in Pressurized Water Reactors," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, pp. 137-148. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.2.137
- Song, T.K., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Bae, H.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, S.H., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2009, "Effects of Similar Metal Weld on Residual Stress in Dissimilar Metal Weld According to Safe End Length," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 33, pp. 664-672. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.7.664
- Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2008, "Effect of Preemptive Weld Overlay on Residual Stress Mitigation for Dissimilar Metal Weld of Nuclear Power Plant Pressurizer," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, pp. 873-881. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.10.873
- Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2008, "Estimation of Residual Stress Distribution for Pressurizer Nozzle of Kori Nuclear Power Plant Considering Safe End," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, pp. 668-677. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.8.668
- Brickstad, B. and Josefson, B.L., 1998, "A Parametric Study of Residual Stresses in Multi-Pass Butt-Welded Stainless Steel Pipes," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 75, pp. 11-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(97)00117-8
- Limpus, C.R., Dijamco, D.G., Bax, R. and Cofie, N.G., 2007, "Effect of Size of Butt Weld Repairs on Weld Overlay Residual Stresses," ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, PVP2007-26636.
- Stress Distributions at the Dissimilar Metal Weld of Safety Injection Nozzles According to Safe-end Length and SMW Thickness vol.39, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.10.979