- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Vibration Characteristics of a Wire-Bonding Ultrasonic Horn
와이어 본딩용 초음파 혼의 진동 특성
- Kim, Young Woo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.) ;
- Yim, Vit (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.) ;
- Han, Daewoong (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.) ;
- Lee, Seung-Yop (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.)
- Received : 2013.11.09
- Accepted : 2014.01.29
- Published : 2014.02.01
This study investigates the vibration characteristics of a wire-bonding piezoelectric transducer and ultrasonic horn for high-speed and precise welding. A ring-type piezoelectric stack actuator is excited at 136 kHz to vibrate a conical-type horn and capillary system. The nodal lines and amplification ratio of the ultrasonic horn are obtained using a theoretical analysis and FEM simulation. The vibration modes and frequencies close to the driving frequency are identified to evaluate the bonding performance of the current wire-bonder system. The FEM and experimental results show that the current wire-bonder system uses the bending mode of 136 kHz as the principal motion for bonding and that the transverse vibration of the capillary causes the bonding failure. Because the major longitudinal mode exists at 119 kHz, it is recommended that the design of the current wire-bonding system be modified to use the major longitudinal mode at the excitation frequency and to minimize the transverse vibration of capillary in order to improve the bonding performance.
Ultrasonic Wire Bonding Machine;Ultrasonic Horn;Vibration Mode;Wire-Bonding;Piezoelectric Actuator
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Kim, E. M. and Jang, H. S. Park, D. S., 2010, "A Horn of Half-wave Design and Manufacture for Ultrasonic Metal Welding," Journal of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 790-796.
- Watanabe, Y., 1992, "A Longitudinal-Flexural Complex-Mode Ultrasonic High-Power Transducer System with One-Dimensional Construction," Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 32, pp. 2430-2434.
- Amin, S. G., Ahmed, M. H. M. and Youssef, H,A., 1995, "Computer-Aided Design of Acoustic Horns for Ultrasonic Machining using Finite-Element Analysis," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 55, pp. 254-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(95)02015-2
- Elsner, E., 1996, "Complete Solution of the Webster Horn Equation," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 41, pp. 1126-1138.
- Seo, J. S., Jang, S. M. and Beck, S. Y., 2012, One-wavelength Ultrasonic Horn Design for Ultrasonic Machining of Mobile Phone Battery Terminal Welding, Transactions of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 70-75. https://doi.org/10.7735/ksmte.2012.21.1.070
- Lee, B. G., Kim, K. L., and Kim, K. E., 2008, "Design of Ultrasonic Vibration Tool Horn for Micromachining Using FEM," Transactions of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 63-70.
- Kang, K and Roh, Y., 2001, "Design and Construction of the Acoustic Horn for Magnetostrictive Ultrasonic Transducer," The journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, Vol. 20, pp. 57-65.
- Ha, C. Y. and Lee, S. I., 2013, "2D and 3D Topology Optimization with Target Frequency and Modes of Ultrasonic Horn for Flip-chip Bonding," Transactions of the KSNVE, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 84-91. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2013.23.1.084