- Volume 34 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Flexural Rigidity of Center Tower in Four-Span Suspension Bridges
4경간 현수교에서의 중앙주탑 휨강성의 영향
- Received : 2013.07.02
- Accepted : 2013.09.10
- Published : 2014.02.01
For simple and accurate analysis for behaviors of multi-span suspension bridges which are expected to be frequently constructed as strait-crossing bridges, the deflection theory as the peculiar theory of a suspension bridge can be applied. This paper performs a structural analysis for four-span suspension bridges using the deflection theory. Simply-supported beams with tension are used for girders and the deflections of the beams due to the vertical loads and moments at supports are calculated. The calculation is performed iteratively until the deflections satisfy the compatibility equations of cables. The results of the deflection theory analysis considering tower rigidity are compared with those of the finite element analysis for verification. Importance of the tower rigidity for four-span suspension bridges is confirmed using various compatibility equations of the cable due to variation of the constraint conditions between main cable and top of towers. In addition, the simple parametric analysis for variation of the center tower rigidity is performed.
Supported by : 국토해양부
- Choi, D.-H., Gwon, S.-G., Yoo, H., and Na, H.-S. (2013). "Nonlinear static analysis of continuous multi-span suspension Bridges." International Journal of Steel Structures, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 103-115. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-013-1010-0
- Choi, D.-H., Gwon, S.-G., and Na, H.-S. (2014). "Simplified analysis for preliminary design of towers in suspension bridges." Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000551. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000551
- Cobo del Arco, D. and Aparicio, A. C. (2001). "Preliminary static analysis of suspension bridges." Engineering Structures, Vol. 23, pp. 1096-1103. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00009-8
- ENVICO Consultant Co., Ltd. (2009). The design report of the New Millennium Bridge.
- Feng, Z., Zhao, A., Song, J. and Yang, Y. (2012). "Research on parametric modeling and computing of multi-tower suspension bridge based on ANSYS." Engineering Science, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 49-54.
- Gimsing, N. J. (1998). Cable supported bridges : Concept and design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, London.
- Irvine, H. M. (1981). Cable structures, MIT Press, Massachusetts.
- Nogami, K., Okubo, A. and Morizono, Y. (2010). "Elasto-plastic behaviors and ultimate strength of 4 super long-span suspension bridges." Journal of Structural Engineering, JSCE, Vol. 56A, pp. 1-10.
- Nogami, K., Someya, A. and Yamasawa, T. (2006). "Elasto-plastic behaviors of four long-span suspension bridges and practical rigidity of towers." Journal of Structural Engineering, JSCE, Vol. 52, pp. 901-912.
- Ohshima, H., Sato, K. and Watanabe, R. (1984). "Structural analysis of suspension bridges." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 110, No. 3, pp. 392-404. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1984)110:3(392)
- Petersen, C. (1993). Stahlbau, 3rd Edition, Vieweg Verlag, Braunschweig, Germany.
- Rubin, H. and Vogel, U. (1982). "Baustatik ebener stabwerke." Stahlbau Handbuch, Stahlbau-Verlags-GmbH, Cologne, Germany, pp. 196-206 (in German).
- Song, L., Zhang, Z., Ma, R. and Chen, A. (2012). "Stability analysis on middle steel pylon of taizhou yangtze river bridge." Proceedings of 18th Congress of IABSE, Seoul, pp. 573-574.
- Stavridis, L. T. (2008). "A simplified analysis of the behavior of suspension bridges under live load." Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 559-576. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.30.5.559
- Timoshenko, S. P. and Young, D. H. (1965). Theory of Structures, 2nd Edition, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
- Wang, D., Zhang, Z. and Chen, A. (2012). "Wind-resistant study on the steel middle pylon of taizhou yangtze river bridge." Proceedings of 18th Congress of IABSE, Seoul, pp. 262-263.
- Wollmann, G. P. (2001). "Preliminary analysis of suspension bridges," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 227-233. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2001)6:4(227)
- Yoshida, O., Okuda. M. and Moriya T. (2004). "Structural characteristics and applicability of four-span suspension bridge." Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 453-463. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(453)
- Zhang, Q., Tang, H. Q. and Yang, G. W. (2012). "Selection of a structural system for a three-tower suspension bridge of maanshan yangtze river highway bridge." Structural Engineering International, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 139-143. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686612X13216060213590
- Zhu, M., Ji, L. and Ruan, J. (2012). "Key technology of middle pylon design in three-pylon multi-span suspension bridge." Proceedings of 18th Congress of IABSE, Seoul, pp. 428-429.
- Feasible Range for Midtower Lateral Stiffness in Three-Tower Suspension Bridges vol.23, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001196