- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Vegetation Structure at the Slope Direction and Characteristic of Seedlings of Abies koreana in Hallasan Mountain
한라산 구상나무림의 사면별 식생구조와 치수발생 특성
Song, Kuk-Man;Kang, Young-Je;Hyeon, Hwa-Ja
- Received : 2013.03.29
- Accepted : 2013.06.12
- Published : 2014.01.31
This study surveyed Abies koreana to identify the correlation between its vegetation structure according to its slope direction and seedling establishment in a bid to build basic research data on the changes and conservation of the A. koreana in Hallasan Mountain. The findings of its vegetation structure revealed that in both areas, Importance value was given to the A. koreana for its tree layer, the Taxus cuspidata for its shrub layer, and the Sasa quelpaertensis for its herb layer. However, in the Youngsil area with the tree layer, high importance was given to deciduous broad-leaved trees such as Prunus maximowiczii, Quercus mongolica, and the young species of the A. koreana in the shrub layer that can maintain the A. koreana forest's greater importance in the Jindallebat than in the Youngsil. Thus, the A. koreana forest in the Jindallebat is believed to lastlonger. The findings of correlation between the quantity of seedlings and their location by area revealed that in each tiny quadrat, the A. koreana seedling averaged 5.3 in the Youngsil and 2.9 in the Jindallebat. Both areas were all found to have a positive correlation in terms of rock exposure ratio and dead tree ratio as well as a negative correlation with regard to the cover degree of S. quelpaertensis, the canopy gap, the total vegetation, and the herb layer. It was found that the cover degree of the herb layer in the Youngsil and the S. quelpaertensis in the Jindallebat had the largest impact on the A. koreana seedlings.
Abies koreana;Vegetion structure;Seedling;Hallasan Mountain
- Berry, J., Bjorkman, O., 1980, Photosynthetic response and adaptation to temperature in higher Plants, Annual Review of Plant Physiology, 31, 491-543. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pp.31.060180.002423
- Binkley, D., Son, Y. W., Kim, Z. S., 1994, Impects of Air pollution on forests; A Summary of current situations, Journal of Korean Forest Society, 83(2), 229-238.
- Cha, J. H., 1969, The vertical distribution of the vegetation on Mt. Hanla, Journal of Plant Biology, 12(4), 19-29.
- Chmielewski, F. M., Muller, A., Bruns, E., 2004, Climate changes and trends in phenology of fruit trees and field crops in Germany, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 121, 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1923(03)00161-8
- Cho, H. K., Hong, S. G., Kim, J. J., 2001, Studies on Growth and Production of Abies koreana Seedlings under Different Relative Light Intensity, Journal of Korea Forest Energy, 20(2), 58-68.
- Chon, S. K., Shin, M. Y., Chung, D. J., Jang, Y. S., Kim, M. S., 1999, Characteristics of the Early Groeth for Korean White Pine(Pinus koraiensis Sieb. et Zucc.) and Effects of Local Climatic Conditions on the Growth, -Relation between Periodic Annual Increment and Local Climatic Conditions-, Journal of Korean Forest Society, 88(1), 73-85.
- Choung, Y. S., 1998. Effects of a Dam Construction on the Radial Growths of Pinus densiflora, The Korean Journal of Ecology, 22(3), 221-229.
- Chung, J. M., Lee, S. W., Lee, K. Y., 1996, Vegetation Structure, Regeneration Niche, and Dynamics of the Saplings in Abies koreana Forest of the Mt. Chiri, Journal of Korean Forest Society, 85(1), 34-43.
- Hong, S. G., Kim, J. J. Cho, H. K., 2008, Studies on Natural Regeneration of Abies koreana, The National Academy of Sciences, 47(1), 71-84.
- Jo, H. K., Ahn, T. W., 2008, Differences in Phenological Phases of Plants Subsequent to Microclimatic Change, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 22(3), 221-229.
- Kang, S. J., Kwak, A. K., Takao, K., 1997, A Phytosociological Description of the Abies koreana Forest on Mt. Halla in Cheju Island, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 20(3), 293-297.
- Kim, D. S., 1997, Vegetation Structure and Dynamics of Korean Fir Forest Edges in Mt. Halla, Master's Thesis Dissertation, Jeju University, Jeju, Korea.
- Kim, G. T., Choo, G. C., 2000, Comparison of Growth Condition of Abies koreana Wilson by Districts, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 14(1), 80-87.
- Kim, G. T., Choo, G. C., Baek, G. J., 1998, Studies on the Structure of Forest Community in Subalpine Zone of Mt. Halla, - Abies koreana Forest, Journal of Korean Forest Society, 87(3), 366-371.
- Kim, G. T., Choo, G. C., Baek, G. J., 2000, Studies on the Structure of Forest Community at Myungsunbong, Tokp'yongbong Area in Chirisan National Park, -Abies koreana Forest -, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 13(4), 299-308.
- Kim, G. T., Choo, G. C., Um, T. W., 1997, Studies on the Structure of Forest Community at Cheonwangbong-Deokpyongbong Area in Chirisan National Park, -Abies koreana Forest -, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 86(2), 146-157.
- Kim, J. U., Kil, B. S., 1996, Estimation for Changes of Net Primary Productivity and Portential Natural Vegetation in the Korean Peninsula by the Global Warming, Journal of Ecology Feild Biology, 19(1), 1-7.
- Koh, J. G., Kim, D. S., Koh, S. C., Kim, M. H., 1996, Dynamics of Korean Fir Forest, Research of Cheju-do, 13, 223-241.
- Kong, W. S., 1999, The Vertical Distribution of Air Temperature and Thermal Amplitude of Alpine Plant on Mt. Halla, Cheju Island, Korea, The Korean Geographical Society, 34(4), 385-393.
- Koo, K. A., Park, W. K., Kong, W. S., 2001, Dendrochronological Analysis of Abies koreana W. Mt. Halla, Korea: Effects of Climate Change on the Growths, Journal of Ecology Feild Biology, 24(5), 281-288.
- Lee, C. S., Cho, H. J., 1993, Structure and Dynamics of Abies koreana Wilson Community in Mt. Gaya, Journal of Ecology Feild Biology, 16(1), 75-91.
- Lee, K. J., Cho, W., Cho, H. S., 1993, The Structure of Forest Community and Vegetation Deteriorations on Subalpine Zone in Mt. Halla, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 6(1), 44-54.
- Lee, S. C., Choi, S. H., Kang, H. M., Cho, H. S., Cho, J. W., 2010, The Change and Structure of Altitudinal Vegetation on the East Side of Hallasan National Park, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 24(1), 26-36.
- Lee, Y. W., Hong, S. C., 1995, Ecological Studies on the Vegetational Characteristics of the Abies koreana Forest, Journal of Korean Forest Society, 84(2), 247-257.
- Lim, J. H., Woo, S. Y., Kwon, M. J., Chun, J. H., Shin, J. H., 2006, Photosynthetic Capacity and Water Use Efficiency under Different Temperature Regimes on Healthy and Declining Korean Fir in Mt. Halla, Journal of Korean Forest Society, 95(6), 705-710.
- Moon, H. S., 1989, A Comparative Study of Climate in Cheju and Sogwipo, The Geographical Journal of Korea, 14, 51-73.
- Oh, K. K., Koh, J. H., Kim, T. H., 2007, Altitudinal Distribution of Plant Communities at Donnaeko Valley in The Mt. Hallasan, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 21(2), 141-148.
- Reader, R. J., 1993, Control of seedling emergence by ground cover and seed predation in relation to seed size for some old-field species, The Journal of Applied Ecology, 81(1), 169-175. https://doi.org/10.2307/2261232
- Reserch Institute for Hallasan, 2007, Korean Fir in Mt. Halla, Yeolim Inc., 59-88.
- Shin, M. Y., Chung, S. Y., Han, W. S., Lee, D. K., 2008, Effects of Microclimatic of Different Site Types on Tree Growth in Natural Deciduous Forest, Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 10(1), 9-16. https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2008.10.1.009
- Shin, M. Y., Chung, S. Y., Lee, D. G., 2001, Estimation of Microclimate by Site Types in Natural Deciduous Forest and Relation between Periodic Annual Increment of Diameter and the Microclimatic Estimates - A Case Study on the National Forest in Pyunhchung, Kangwon Province-, Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 3(1), 44-54.
- Song, K. M., Kim, C. S., Koh, J. G., Kang, C. H., Kim, M. H., 2010, Vegetation Structure and Distributional Characteristics of Abies koreana Forests in Mt. Halla, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 19(4), 415-425. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2010.19.4.415
- Song, K. M., 2011, Vegetation Structure and Dynamics of Abies koreana Forests on Mt. Halla, Ph. D. Dissertation, Jeju University, Jeju, Korea.
- Thomas, M. S., Robert, L. S., 2011, Elements of ecology (7th Edition), Life science, Seoul, 1-637.
- Yamamoto, S., 1993, Gap characteristics and gap regeneration in a subalpine coniferous forest on Mt. Ontake, central Honshu, Japan, Ecology Resources, 8, 277-285. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02347187
- Biomass growth characteristics of 13-year-old Pinus densiflora S. et Z. in a post-fire plantation on different contour conditions in Samcheuk, Korea vol.13, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11629-015-3583-x
- Genetic assessment of Abies koreana (Pinaceae), the endangered Korean fir, and conservation implications vol.18, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10592-017-0968-0
- Below-ground growth characteristics of 13-year-old Pinus densiflora on different contour conditions in a post-fire plantation in Samcheuk, Korea vol.28, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11676-017-0368-9
- Germination Characterisitics of Abies koreana Wilson Seed in Subalpine Coniferous Forest by Collecting Location vol.52, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2018.52.1.133