- Volume 23 Issue 1
This study was conducted to evaluate the effects of sea urchin shell powder on nitrogen characteristics in poultry litter by assigning ninety 1-d-old male broiler chicks (Arbor Acres) to one of 3 treatments (control, 1% sea urchin shell powder, and 1% feed additives) in 3 replicates of 10 birds each. For all treatments, the overall dry matter contents were decreased (P < 0.05) as time increased, except for at 1 week. When compared with controls, the dietary sea urchin shell powder and feed additives for 0 and 3 weeks did influence their TN contents, but not for 1, 2 and 4 weeks. The treatments with sea urchin shell powder and feed additives had a significant (P < 0.05) influence on
Sea urchin shell powder;Dry matter;Total nitrogen;Ammonia nitrogen;Poultry litter
- AOAC, 1990, Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington DC, USA.
- Bolani, N. S., Szogi, A. A., Chuasavathi, T., Seshadri, B., Rothrock, M .J. Jr., Panneerselvam, P., 2010, Uses and management of poultry litter. World's Poultry Science Journal, 66, 673-698. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933910000656
- Chaney, A. L., Marbach, E. P., 1962, Modified reagents for determination of urea and ammonia. Clinical Chemical, 8, 130-132.
- Choi, I. H., Moore, P.A. Jr., 2008, Effects of liquid aluminum chloride additions to poultry litter on broiler performance, ammonia emissions, soluble phosphorus, total volatile fatty acids, and nitrogen contents of litter. Poultry Science, 87, 1955-1963. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00053
- Duncan, D. B., 1955, Multiple range and multiple F-tests, Biometrics, 11, 1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Kim, K. K., Jeong, Y.J., Kim, O. M., Park, N. Y., Lee, K. H., 2002, Effects of sea urchin shell on egg quality. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 31, 373-377. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.3.373
- Lefcourt, A. M., Meisinger, J. J., 2001, Effect of adding alum or zeolite to dairy slurry on ammonia volatilization and chemical composition. Journal of Dairy Science, 84, 1814-1821. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74620-6
- Meisinger, J. J., Jokela, W. E., 2000, Ammonia volatilization from dairy and poultry manure. Pages 334-354 in Managing, Nutrients and Pathogens from Animal Agriculture. NRAES-130, Natural Resource, Agriculture, and Engineering Service, Ithaca, NY.
- Moore, P. A. Jr., Daniel, T. C., Edwards, D. R., Miller, D. M., 1995, Effect of chemical amendments on ammonia volatilization from poultry litter. Journal of Environmental Quality, 24, 294-300.
- Nahm, K. H., 1992, Practical guide to feed, forage and water analysis (English Edition), Yoo Han Pub. Co, Seoul, South Korea.
- NRC, 1994, Nutrient Requirements of Poultry: Ninth Revised Edition. National Research Council. Washington, D.C., National Academy Press.
- SAS, 2000, SAT/STAT Software for PC. Release 8.2, SAS Institude Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shankarlal, S., Prabu, K., Natarajan, E., 2011, Antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of purple sea urchcin shell. American-Eurasian Journal of Scientific Research, 6, 178-181.
- Watts, D. B., Smith, K. E., Torbert, H. A., 2012, Impact of poultry litter cake, cleanout, and bedding following chemical amendments on soil C and N mineralization. International Journal of Agronomy, Article ID 204629, 8 pages.
- Wilson, M. G., 2000, Technologies for ammonia control in poultry facilities. Pages 241-247 In Proceedings of 2000 National Poultry Waste Management Symposium, Ocean City, MD. Auburn University, Auburn, AL.