- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Investigation of cultivation and FAME composition isolated Phaeodactylum tricornutum from Youngheung island
영흥도에서 분리된 Phaeodactylum tricornutum의 증식 및 Monounsaturated fatty acid 관련 지방산 조성 분석
Lee, SangMin;Cho, Yonghee;Shin, ong-Woo;Jeon, Hyonam;Ryu, YoungJin;Lim, Sang-Min;Lee, Choul-Gyun
- Received : 2014.12.30
- Accepted : 2015.01.13
- Published : 2014.12.31
Oxidation stability and cold fuid property are considered as the most important factors for determining biodiesel quality. Among the fatty acids, monounsaturated fatty acid satisfy both oxidation stability and cold flow property of biodiesel quality standards. Microalgae with high monounsaturated fatty acid contents is have some benefit for producing to produce biodiesels with satisfying quality standards. In this study, monounsaturated fatty acid contents of a isolated microalga from Youngheung island was analyzed. Phaeodactylum tricornutum was isolated by streaking, and growth rate and fatty acid composition of the algae were investigated. Total FAME contents were consisted of 26% of saturated fatty acids, 43% of monounsaturated fatty acids, and 18% of polyunsaturated fatty acids. The contents of monounsaturated fatty acid were especially high in the Phaeodactylum species. This result implies that the FAMEs from P. tricornutum may contribute to improve the oxidation stability and cold flow property of biodiesel.
Phaeodactylum tricorntum;FAME composition;Oxidation stability
- Razeghifard, R. 2013. Algal biofuels. Photosynthesis research. 117, 207-219. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11120-013-9828-z
- Dwivedi, G., and M. Sharma. 2013. Cold Flow Behavior of Biodiesel-A Review. International Journal of Renewable Energy Research (IJRER). 3, 827-836.
- Zhukova, N. V., and N. A. Aizdaicher. 1995. Fatty acid composition of 15 species of marine microalgae. Phytochemistry. 39, 351-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(94)00913-E
- Moser, B. R. 2011. Biodiesel production, properties, and feedstocks. pp. 285-347. Biofuels. Springer, City.
- Sendzikiene, E., V. Makareviciene, and P. Janulis. 2005. Oxidation stability of biodiesel fuel produced from fatty wastes. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 14, 335-339.
- Cao, Y., W. Liu, X. Xu, H. Zhang, J. Wang, and M. Xian. 2014. Production of free monounsaturated fatty acids by metabolically engineered Escherichia coli. Biotechnology for biofuels. 7, 59. https://doi.org/10.1186/1754-6834-7-59
- Hoekman, S. K., A. Broch, C. Robbins, E. Ceniceros, and M. Natarajan. 2012. Review of biodiesel composition, properties, and specifications. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 16, 143-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2011.07.143
- Ping, B. T. Y., and M. Yusof. 2009. Characteristics and properties of fatty acid distillates from palm oil. Oil Palm Bulletin. 59, 5-11.
- Mittelbach, M., and S. Gangl. 2001. Long storage stability of biodiesel made from rapeseed and used frying oil. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society. 78, 573-577. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-001-0306-z
- Dunn, R. O. 2005. Effect of antioxidants on the oxidative stability of methyl soyate (biodiesel). Fuel Processing Technology. 86, 1071-1085. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2004.11.003
- Tyson, K. 2009. Biodiesel handling and use guidelines. DIANE Publishing.
Tripathi, R., J. Singh, and I. S. Thakur. 2015. Characterization of microalga Scenedesmus sp. ISTGA1 for potential
$CO_2$sequestration and biodiesel production. Renewable Energy. 74, 774-781. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.09.005
- Fujii, K., S. Matsunobu, and Y. Takahashi. 2014. Characterization of the new microalgal strains, Oogamochlamys spp., and their potential for biofuel production. Algal Research. 5, 164-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.algal.2014.08.003
- Yang, Z.-K., Y.-F. Niu, Y.-H. Ma, J. Xue, M.-H. Zhang, W.-D. Yang, J.-S. Liu, S.-H. Lu, Y. Guan, and H.-Y. Li. 2013. Molecular and cellular mechanisms of neutral lipid accumulation in diatom following nitrogen deprivation. Biotechnol. Biofuels. 6, 1-67. https://doi.org/10.1186/1754-6834-6-1
- Lopez Barreiro, D., W. Prins, F. Ronsse, and W. Brilman. 2013. Hydrothermal liquefaction (HTL) of microalgae for biofuel production: state of the art review and future prospects. Biomass and Bioenergy. 53, 113-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2012.12.029
- Zhang, X., J. Rong, H. Chen, C. He, and Q. Wang. 2014. Current Status and Outlook in the Application of Microalgae in Biodiesel Production and Environmental Protection. Frontiers in Energy Research. 2, 32.
- Otles, S., and R. Pire. 2001. Fatty acid composition of Chlorella and Spirulina microalgae species. Journal of AOAC international. 84, 1708-1714.
- 한국석유관리원, 2012. 미세조류 유래 바이오디젤 품질기준 연구. pp 25-30.
Grant : 해양미세조류 이용 바이오디젤 생산기술 개발
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술진흥원