- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
EP Based PSO Method for Solving Multi Area Unit Commitment Problem with Import and Export Constraints
Venkatesan, K.;Selvakumar, G.;Rajan, C. Christober Asir
- Received : 2013.07.11
- Accepted : 2013.10.29
- Published : 2014.03.01
This paper presents a new approach to solve the multi area unit commitment problem (MAUCP) using an evolutionary programming based particle swarm optimization (EPPSO) method. The objective of this paper is to determine the optimal or near optimal commitment schedule for generating units located in multiple areas that are interconnected via tie lines. The evolutionary programming based particle swarm optimization method is used to solve multi area unit commitment problem, allocated generation for each area and find the operating cost of generation for each hour. Joint operation of generation resources can result in significant operational cost savings. Power transfer between the areas through the tie lines depends upon the operating cost of generation at each hour and tie line transfer limits. Case study of four areas with different load pattern each containing 7 units (NTPS) and 26 units connected via tie lines have been taken for analysis. Numerical results showed comparing the operating cost using evolutionary programming-based particle swarm optimization method with conventional dynamic programming (DP), evolutionary programming (EP), and particle swarm optimization (PSO) method. Experimental results show that the application of this evolutionary programming based particle swarm optimization method has the potential to solve multi area unit commitment problem with lesser computation time.
Dynamic Programming (DP);Evolutionary Programming (EP);Evolutionary Programming-based Particle Swarm Optimization (EPPSO);Multi Area Unit Commitment Problem(MAUCP);Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO)
- Z. Ouyang, S. M. Shahidehpur, "Heuristic multi area unit commitment with economic dispatch", IEE proceedings - c, 138(3), pp. 242-51, 1991.
- Fred N. Lee, Qibei Feng, "Multi area unit commitment", IEEE Transactions on power systems, 7(2), pp. 591-99, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.141764
- Kankar Bhattacharya, Math H. J. Bollen, J. E. Daalder, Operation of Restructured power systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001.
- C. Wang, S. M Shahidehpour, "A Decomposition approach to non linear multi area generation scheduling with tie line constraints using expert systems", IEEE Transactions on power systems, 7(4), pp. 1409-18, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.207362
- C. K. Pang, C. K. Sheble, H. F. Albuyeh, "Evaluation of dynamic programming based methods and multiple area representation for thermal unit commitments", IEEE Trans. Power Appar. Syst., 100 (3), pp. 1212-18, 1981,
- U. B. Fogel, "On the Philosophical Differences between Evolutionary Algorithms and Genetic Algorithms", Proc. second annual conference on Evolutionary Programming, New york, 11(5), pp. 23-29, 1993.
- C. Christober Asir Rajan, M. R. Mohan, "An evolutionary programming based tabu search method for solving the unit commitment problem", IEEE Trans. On power syst., 19(1), pp. 577-85, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.821472
- D. B Fogel, "Evolutionary computation. Toward a new philosophy of machine intelligence" Piscataway, NJ, IEEE press, 1995.
- T. Back, "Evolutionary algorithms in theory and practice", Oxford univ.Press, 1996.
- L. J.Fogel, A. J.Owns, M. J. Walsh, "Artificial intelligence through simulated evolution", Newyork, Wiley, 1996.
- James Kennedy, Russell eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization" Proc. IEEE Int'l conf. On neural net-works (Perth, Australia), IEEE service center, Piscataway, pp. 1942-48, 1999.
- J. S. Hu, C. X. Guo, Y. J. Cao, "Generator parameter identification using an extended particle swarm optimization method", University of Bath UK, 2004.
- C. C. A. Rajan, M. R. Mohan, "An evolutionary programming based simulated annealing method for solving the unit commitment problem", Elsevier Electrical power and energy systems, (29)1, pp. 540-50, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2006.12.001
- K. A. Juste, H. Kita, E. Tanaka, J. Hasegawa, "An evolutionary programming solution to the unit commitment problem", IEEE Tran. Power syst., 14(4), pp. 1452-59, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.801925
- Chitra Yingvivatanapong, Wei Jen Lee, Edwin Liu, "Multi area power generation dispatch in competitive markets", IEEE Trans. On power syst., 23(1), pp. 196-203, 2008.
- Maryam Ramezani, Mahmood Reza Haghifam, Chanan Singh, Hossein Seifi, Mohsen Parsa Moghaddam, "Determination of capacity benefit margin in multi area power systems using particle swarm optimization", IEEE Trans. On power syst., 24(2), pp. 631-41, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.2005712
- Fred N. Lee, Qi bei Feng, "Multi area unit commitment", IEEE Trans. On power syst., 7(2), pp. 591-99, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.141764
- Demand Response Unit Commitment Problem Solution for Maximizing Generating Companies’ Profit vol.10, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10101465