- Volume 9 Issue 2
Torque pulsation mechanism and highly nonlinear magnetic characterization of switched reluctance motors(SRM) lead to unfavorable torque ripple and limit the variety of applications in industry. In this paper, a modification method proposed for torque ripple minimization of SRM based on conventional torque sharing functions(TSF) to improve maximum speed of torque ripple-free operation considering converter limitations. Due to increasing phase inductance in outgoing phase during the commutation region, reference current tracking can be deteriorated especially when the speed increased. Moreover, phase torque production in incoming phase may not be reached to the reference value near the turn-on angle in which the incremental inductance would be dramatically decreased. Torque error for outgoing phase can cause increasing the resultant motor torque while it would be negative for incoming phase and yields reducing the motor torque. In this paper, a modification method is proposed in which phase torque tracking error for each phase under the commutation added to the other phase so that the resultant torque remained in constant level. This yields to extend constant torque region and reduce peak phase current when the speed increased. Simulation and experimental results for four phase 4 KW, 8/6 SRM validate the effectiveness of the proposed scheme.
Torque ripple minimization;Switched reluctance motor;Torque sharing functions
- S.K. Sahoo, S. Dasgupta, S.K. Panda, J.X. Xu, "A Lyapunov Function Based Robust Direct torque Controller for Switched Reluctance Motor Drive System", IEEE Trans. On Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 555-564, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2132740
- R. Krishnan, Switched Reluctance Motor Drives: Modeling, Simulation, Analysis, Design and Applications. Boca Rotan, FL: CRC Press, 2001.
- Y. K. Choi, H.S. Yoon, C. S. Koh, "Pole-shaped optimization of a switched reluctance motor for torque ripple reduction", IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1797-1800, Apr.2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2006.892292
- S. I. Nebeta, I. E. Chabu, L. Lebensztajn, D. A. P. Correa, W. M. Dasilva, K. Hameyer, "Mitigation of the torque ripple of a switched reluctance motor through a multi objective optimization", IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1018-1021, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2007.915137
- I. Husain, "Minimization of torque ripples in SRM drives", IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 49, no.1, pp. 28-39, Feb. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.982245
- R. S. Wallace, D.G. Taylor, "A balanced commutator for switched reluctance motors to reduce torque ripple", IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 617-626, Oct. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.163641
- K. Russa, I. Husain, M. Elbuluk, "Torque-Ripple minimization of switched reluctance machines over a wide speed range", IEEE Trans. On Industry Applications, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1105-1112, September/ October 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.720451
- C. Choi, S. Kim, Y. Kim, K. Park, "A new torque control method of a switched reluctance motor using a torque-sharing function", IEEE Trans. On Magnetics, vol. 38, no. 5, pp 3288-3290, September 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2002.802295
- V. P. Vujicic, "Minimization of torque ripple and copper losses in switched reluctance drive", IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 1, Jan. 2012.
- D.H., Lee , S.Y., Ahn, J.W., Ahn, "A simple negative torque compensation scheme for a high speed switched reluctance motor", journal of power electronics, vol.12, no. 1, pp. 58-66, January 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.1.58
- D. H. Lee, J. Liang, Z. G. Lee, J. W. Ahn, "A simple nonlinear logical torque sharing function for low toruqe ripple SR drives", IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 3021-3028, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2024661
- X. D. Xue, K. W. E. Cheng, S. L. Ho, "Optimization and evaluation of torque-sharing functions for torque ripple minimization in switched reluctance motor drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2076-2090, Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2019581
- J.W. Ahn, "Torque control strategy for high performance SR drives", Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp 538-545, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2008.3.4.538
- M.N.F. Nashed, K. Obyama, K. Aso, H. Fujii, H. Uebara, " Automatic turn-off angle control for high speed SRM drives", Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 81-88, January 2007.
- I.H. Al-Bahadly, "Examination of a sensorless rotorposition- measurement method for switched reluctance drive", IEEE Trans. Industrial Elec., vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 288-295, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.909055