- Volume 9 Issue 2
Heavy load start but light load operation is a common case in practical drive applications. When an induction motor is employed for such applications, its rated power is usually chosen according to the heavy load start. Then, during light load operation, its efficiency and power factor are low. To solve this problem, it is proposed to adjust the motor windings from the startup to the normal operation conditions. In this paper, arrangement of the adjustable windings is introduced, air gap field with different windings is investigated, and steady state operation performance under various loads is examined. It can be seen that by using proper winding arrangement both startup and operation performances are satisfactory.
Adjustable windings;Heavy load start;Light load operation;Efficiency;Power factor
- Sam G. Gibbs and Duane L. Miller, "Inferring Power Consumption and Electrical Performance from Motor Speed in Oil-well Pumping Units," IEEE Trans. on Industry, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 35-42, 2003.
- A.B. Neely, K.E. Opal and H.A. Tripp. Power, "Savings and Load Reductions on Sucker Rod Pumping Wells," Society of Petroleum Engineers, vol. 8, no. 2, pp.98-106, 2001.
- Yehia Ei-Lbiar, "An Accurate Low Cost Method for Determination Electric Motors Efficiency for the Purpose of Plant Energy Management," IEEE Trans On Industry Applications, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1205-1210, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.813686
- Marcus O. Durham, Clark Lockerd and James F. Lea, "Comparison of NEMA and Ultra high Slip Motors on Cyclic Loads," Petroleum and chemical industry conference, San Diego, CA, Sep 1989.
- Marcus O. Durham, "Motor Design Slip Performance on Cyclic Loads," IEEE Trans on Industry Applications vol. 26, no.5, pp.919-925, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.60063
- Tang Renyuan, "Research and Development of Rareearth Permanent Magnet Machine," Journal of Shenyang University of Technology, vol. 27, no.2, pp.162-166, 2005.
- Kawamura A, Hoft R, "An Analysis of Induction Motor for Field Oriented or Vector Control," IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Albuquerque, America, 1983.
- Zheng Kang Wu and Elias G. Strangas "Feed Forward Field Orientation Control of an Induction Motor Using a PWM Voltage Source Inverter and Standardized Single Board Computer," IEEE Trans On Industrial Electronics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp.75-79, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.3065
- Djafar Hadiouche, Hubert Razik and Abderrezak Rezzoug, "On the Modeling and Design of Dual Stator Windings to Minimize Circulating Harmonic Currents for VST Fed AC Machines," IEEE Trans on Industry Applications, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 506-515, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.824511
- Microchip. "PIC16F87X User's Guide," Microchip Corp, America, 1997.