- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Class E Power Amplifiers using High-Q Inductors for Loosely Coupled Wireless Power Transfer System
- Yang, Jong-Ryul ;
- Kim, Jinwook ;
- Park, Young-Jin
- Received : 2013.08.26
- Accepted : 2013.11.06
- Published : 2014.03.01
A highly efficient class E power amplifier is demonstrated for application to wireless power transfer system. The amplifier is designed with an L-type matching at the output for harmonic rejection and output matching. The power loss and the effect of each component in the amplifier with the matching circuit are analyzed with the current ratio transmitted to the output load. Inductors with a quality factor of more than 120 are used in a dc feed and the matching circuit to improve transmission efficiency. The single-ended amplifier with 20 V supply voltage shows 7.7 W output power and 90.8% power added efficiency at 6.78 MHz. The wireless power transfer (WPT) system with the amplifier shows 5.4 W transmitted power and 82.3% overall efficiency. The analysis and measurements show that high-Q inductors are required for the amplifier design to realize highly efficient WPT system.
Class E power amplifier;High efficiency;High quality-factor;L-type matching circuit;Loosely coupled wireless power transfer system
- A. N. Laskovski, and M. R. Yuce, "Class-E selfoscillation for the transmission of wireless power to implants," Sensors and Actuators: A. Physical, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 391-397, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2011.07.018
- A. V. Grebennikov, "Switched-mode rf and microwave parallel circuit class E power amplifiers," Int. J. RF Microw. Computer-Aided Eng., vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 21-35, Jan. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.10112
- W. Chen, R. A. Chinga, S. Yoshida, J. Lin, C. Chen, and W. Lo, "A 25.6 W 13.56 MHz wireless power transfer system with a 94% efficiency GaN class-E power amplifier," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp., Montreal, Canada, pp. 1-3, Jun. 2012.
- J.-R. Yang, H.-C. Son, and Y.-J. Park, "A class E power amplifier with coupling coils for a wireless power transfer system," Progress In Electro-magn. Research C, vol. 35, pp. 13-22, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERC12100914
- M. K. Kazimierczuk, RF Power Amplifiers, New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2008.
- C.-H. Li, and Y.-O. Yam, "Maximum frequency and optimum performance of class E power amplifiers," IEE Proc. Circuits Devices Syst., vol. 141, no. 3, Jun. 1994.
- W. B. Kuhn, and A. P. Boutz, "Measuring and reporting high quality factors of inductors using vector network analyzers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 1046-1055, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2010.2042843
- J. Kim, H.-C. Son, D.-H. Kim, and Y.-J. Park, "Impedance matching considering cross coupling for wireless power transfer to multiple receivers," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Wireless Power Transfer Conf., Perugia, Italy, pp. 226-229, May 2013.
- High-Order Resonant Converter Topology With Extremely Low-Coupling Contactless Transformers vol.31, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2435254
- Operation of battery-less and wireless sensor using magnetic resonance based wireless power transfer through concrete vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.4.631
- Design and Implementation of Wireless Power Transfer System for a Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) Vehicle vol.12, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.289
- Wide-Air-Gap Transformer Model for the Design-Oriented Analysis of Contactless Power Converters vol.62, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2423662
- A Reconfigurable Resonant Coil for Range Adaptation Wireless Power Transfer 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2015.2510623
- Gate Driver Integrated Circuit with Breakdown Protection for Switch-mode Power Amplifiers vol.57, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7305/automatika.2016.10.1005
- A 120 W Class-E Power Module with an Adaptive Power Combiner for a 6.78 MHz Wireless Power Transfer System vol.11, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11082083
- 6.78-MHz, 50-W Wireless Power Supply Over a 60-cm Distance Using a GaN-Based Full-Bridge Inverter vol.12, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/en12030371